Serious assault on nurse at NGH

What it does show that an allegation of withholding treatment gets taken very seriously by the NHS and the nurses professional bodies, and it can have serious consequences for those that are accused of this.

So a question of "can a nurse refuse to treat somebody" doesn't have a yes or no answer.

I was referring to the OP about a "serious assault". And I assume and I guess I am right that a nurse can walk away from a (physical) assault.

I was referring to the OP about a "serious assault". And I assume and I guess I am right that a nurse can walk away from a (physical) assault.

What if the patient has serious mental health issues and they are also a threat to themselves? What if it's a patient that has just come around from an anaesthetic, and they're delirious? What if the patient is suffering from diabetes and they having an hypoglycemic episode?

In a lot of these situations there may be only one or two nurses present, and they will have a duty of care towards the patient.

What if the patient has serious mental health issues and they are also a threat to themselves? What if it's a patient that has just come around from an anaesthetic, and they're delirious? What if the patient is suffering from diabetes and they having an hypoglycemic episode?

In a lot of these situations there may be only one or two nurses present, and they will have a duty of care towards the patient.

And yet some people on here think they should be jailed immediately for 5 - 10 years?

Looks like the situation was dealt with as well as possible. A review of the risks and how they are assessed and actioned is all part of the every day plan of micro managing constant improvements.

This is about NHS management. Improving target figures usually takes priority over improving treatment and frontline staff numbers.

So if a man thumps a nurse, he or she doesn't have the right to walk away. He or she has to treat them and continue to be thumped until unconscious or dead?

The nurse, if it had been physically possible which doesn't appear to have been the case in the OP, has a duty of care not only to the patient committing the assault as JFLvsNixon says, but also to any other patients present. Therefore even if able any qualified member of hospital staff cannot "just walk away". Paramedical staff would face sanctions for doing so.

What also has to be considered that there were so few other staff around when this nurse was being strangled that it took another patient to drag the assaulter off the already unconscious nurse.

If that gent hadn't been able to this we may have been discussing the murder of a nurse in the line of duty.

Edited by Daven

And yet some people on here think they should be jailed immediately for 5 - 10 years?

Not jailed put in an institution that can care for them. Care in the community or so it was called when I was younger is a complete failure. These people need help which places like Middlewood Hospital could provide. Yet the government shut them down.

Not jailed put in an institution that can care for them. Care in the community or so it was called when I was younger is a complete failure. These people need help which places like Middlewood Hospital could provide. Yet the government shut them down.

What!

So it was preferable to lock up thousands of people with even mild learning disabilities in secure units? You are havin' a laugh.

Assaults by people with mental health issues are rare. Such a person is much more likely to be the victim of an assault. But guess which stories the media tends to follow.

What!

So it was preferable to lock up thousands of people with even mild learning disabilities in secure units? You are havin' a laugh.

Assaults by people with mental health issues are rare. Such a person is much more likely to be the victim of an assault. But guess which stories the media tends to follow.

Not all metal patients just the ones who are a severe danger to people like this guy. So what would you rather have more incidents like this one. Thats what care in the community has caused. They need help and support.

:thumbsup:Nurses do a hard job at NGH , staff cuts don't help at all on wards, theres many incidents go unreported to nurses , but they are expected to just get on with there job .

:thumbsup:Nurses do a hard job at NGH , staff cuts don't help at all on wards, theres many incidents go unreported to nurses , but they are expected to just get on with there job .

Quite true.

So many incidents go unreported because nurses excuse many of them as 'unavoidable' if their patient is confused or mentally distressed in some way. I have been assaulted on many occasions over the years but only once by a man who wasn't confused or mentally ill - he was in full possession of his faculties.

My point was that the incident in question was only witnessed by another patient who,fortunately, was well enough to get out of bed and pull the man off the nurses neck. It's clear that there were so few staff around that there was no one in earshot to assist this poor nurse who will now be off sick and possibly mentally traumatised by the incident.

---------- Post added 23-02-2015 at 16:45 ----------

I will be very interested to watch and see what action STH take following this serious incident.