Serious assault on nurse at NGH

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/review-launched-after-nurse-attacked-by-patient-at-sheffield-s-northern-general-hospital-1-7109704

This incident has been reported by the press but very many assaults on nurses aren't. Recent research states that nurses are more likely to be physically assaulted that police personnel.

http://www.rcn.org.uk/newsevents/news/article/uk/almost_70,000_assaults_against_nhs_staff

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/3645.aspx

What more can be done to protect our nurses and allow them to do the job they are trained to do without the fear of physical attack and injury ?

Edited by Daven

The penalty should be high. any person assaults a nurse, a doctor or any of the emergency or caring services should go to prison. Illness would be a contributory factor in mitigation but there should be a presumption of imprisonment. Drunkenness or drug taking would add to the sentence not lower it. 12 months first offence 5years thereafter, no remission.

Except that according to the Star's article, it was the patient's medical condition that was causing him to behave erratically, so not really the same thing.

Except that according to the Star's article, it was the patient's medical condition that was causing him to behave erratically, so not really the same thing.

Well, that's okay then......:rolleyes:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/review-launched-after-nurse-attacked-by-patient-at-sheffield-s-northern-general-hospital-1-7109704

This incident has been reported by the press but very many assaults on nurses aren't. Recent research states that nurses are more likely to be physically assaulted that police personnel.

http://www.rcn.org.uk/newsevents/news/article/uk/almost_70,000_assaults_against_nhs_staff

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/3645.aspx

What more can be done to protect our nurses and allow them to do the job they are trained to do without the fear of physical attack and injury ?

I know for a fact that Sheffield Health and social care Trust, from their own 2014 figures, declare that they are one of the Trusts with highest rates of assault on care staff, in England.

It is in the worst 25 per cent in England. Trust covers mental health, learning disabilities, elderly and community.

---------- Post added 18-02-2015 at 16:10 ----------

The penalty should be high. any person assaults a nurse, a doctor or any of the emergency or caring services should go to prison. Illness would be a contributory factor in mitigation but there should be a presumption of imprisonment. Drunkenness or drug taking would add to the sentence not lower it. 12 months first offence 5years thereafter, no remission.

Thanks Alan Ladd, I totally agree.

Arm them....

Arm them....

This thread gets better. Not only are we suggesting jailing drunks, drug addicts, the mentally ill, people suffering from tempory mental illnesses we're now talking about arming nurses.

Slow golf claps all round.

This thread gets better. Not only are we suggesting jailing drunks, drug addicts, the mentally ill, people suffering from tempory mental illnesses we're now talking about arming nurses.

Slow golf claps all round.

I didn't say what we should arm them with! It could have been a selection of acidic fruits for all you know.

Looks like the situation was dealt with as well as possible. A review of the risks and how they are assessed and actioned is all part of the every day plan of micro managing constant improvements.

I went to the NGH causality one day after injuring myself,I was sat there and this big bloke came in he was covered in tattoos had a massive big beard and looked a real frightening character,he was effing and blinding and shouting as two coppers brought him in the casualty.the next thing this nurse came in and said to him I've told you about this before you must take care of yourself,next thing this doctor came through rolled the man's sleeve up and gave him an injection,it was unbelievable how fast he changed, next thing he was walking about the place apologizing to everyone, apparently he was a diabetic but he was not very good at keeping up with his injections and regularly went into hypo and ended up in casualty...

I went to the NGH causality one day after injuring myself,I was sat there and this big bloke came in he was covered in tattoos had a massive big beard and looked a real frightening character,he was effing and blinding and shouting as two coppers brought him in the casualty.the next thing this nurse came in and said to him I've told you about this before you must take care of yourself,next thing this doctor came through rolled the man's sleeve up and gave him an injection,it was unbelievable how fast he changed, next thing he was walking about the place apologizing to everyone, apparently he was a diabetic but he was not very good at keeping up with his injections and regularly went into hypo and ended up in casualty...

I have a massive big beard, but do not go round terrorising Nurses who may be trying to help me.

Angel.

If that's the case, then it's a hospital procedure that needs updating.