Any oldies remember Marsdens Milk Bar on Pinstone Street?

Someone told me that Marsdens Milk Bar and the Teenage Tavern were the same place although I thought they were two separate coffee bars? They were both open in the late 1950s as was the El Mambo on Union Street.

I do remember Marsdens - me and my mates before we looked old enough to try and get into the pubs used to get dressed up and walk into town and go to Marsdens - we thought we were the bees knees - out on Saturday night in town

They used to do beautiful ham sandwiches on a white torpedo roll.

---------- Post added 18-02-2015 at 11:45 ----------

Didn't they also open the four restaurants over at the side of the Claymore and opposite the Mulberry?

But was the Teenage Tavern somewhere different? I thought it was on High Street across the road from John Walsh? and Marsdens across from the Peace Gardens?

They were one and the same.....it was Marsdens Teenage Tavern....I celebrated my 16th birthday there on what turned into a Coffee Bar Crawl.....didn't need pubs then. We finished up at the El Mambo, stood outside for a while and dared each other to go in...(it was in the news at that time ) Still talk about it now.....just a group of young girls, working at C&A's, on a half day birthday celebration....Totally innocent, totally sober but still talked about 56 years later.

What did they call the one on Heeley bottom then, was that the Teen bar ?

I remember two Marsden's milk bars I used the one on Pinstone Street when I worked on the Trams in 1955, and the second was on a street just above Fitzallan Square, (Can't remember if that's how you spell it) this street was leading on to Howard Street near to where the Crucible Theatre is now.

I can't remember that name either I have been away from Sheffield too long.

What I do remember on a winters day they made the best Horlicks.

Gordon England (Scarborough)

---------- Post added 19-02-2015 at 18:52 ----------

reference to my earlier reply I have just remembered the name where the second Marsden's milk bar was,, Change Alley.

The Brains not as bad as I thought.

Gordon England

I thought Teenage Tavern was on Pinstone street--used to go downstairs to listen to juke box--3d a time[i think it jumped to a tanner when 45 s replaced 78s-----always remember all Marsdens coffee was weak no matter which one you went in ---I also think they had one in Bawtry in the 60s

What did they call the one on Heeley bottom then, was that the Teen bar ?

Yes the Teenbar was on Heeley bottom opposite Gleadless Road. Then there was the Oak Tree at the bottom of Oak Street. Further up Chesterfield Road, just above Meersbrook Park Road, was the Jester - our favourite at the time.

Edited by Thorpy
Cut off before I'd finished.

I remember two Marsden's milk bars I used the one on Pinstone Street when I worked on the Trams in 1955, and the second was on a street just above Fitzallan Square, (Can't remember if that's how you spell it) this street was leading on to Howard Street near to where the Crucible Theatre is now.

I can't remember that name either I have been away from Sheffield too long.

What I do remember on a winters day they made the best Horlicks.

Gordon England (Scarborough)

---------- Post added 19-02-2015 at 18:52 ----------

reference to my earlier reply I have just remembered the name where the second Marsden's milk bar was,, Change Alley.

The Brains not as bad as I thought.

Gordon England

Change Alley?, no longer there, my late Grandma worked there in the late 1950's, early 1960's.

Yes the Teenbar was on Heeley bottom opposite Gleadless Road. Then there was the Oak Tree at the bottom of Oak Street. Further up Chesterfield Road, just above Meersbrook Park Road, was the Jester - our favourite at the time.

Hard to imagine now how much of a revelation those coffee bars were to us teenagers in those days.

Seems strange now but at a time when you left school and started work at 15 you couldn't even see A films on your own till you were 16, and 18 to see an X film let alone go in a pub, to have our own places to gather with out adult supervision felt like the first big step to growing up..

Especially when you consider anyone can watch those same X films and far worse on your TV or PC today ....

Edited by grinder

I do ! It was the place to be for teenagers back then, it was downstairs from the milk bar, and I had to pluck up courage for weeks before I dare go in.

I remember Pat and Mick Moore the twins from Wybourn, not sure what happened to any of them though...

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 18:49 ----------

Hi Thorpy, yes the Jester was good although,the owners wouldn't stand any nonsense, great crowd here. Then after 9 o'clock down onto Abbeydale Road to the Flamingo, atmosphere not as good here though