Sheffield litter picking groups

Hello. I recently took part in a litter pick along South View Road and Vincent Road in Sharrow, S7. I know a similar think has been done in Shirecliffe. I just wondered if anyone else would be interesting in joining this or creating another group in the future. The next planned one in Sharrow will be on Saturday the 7th of March, time to be confirmed. We will meet outside Strip The Willow on Abbeydale Road.

I know people will think this is the council's job, and it is, but the roads we cleared have been neglected for the ten years I have lived in the area and now (a week later) they are still a lot better than they were. How long that will continue is anyone's guess but hopefully people will notice the cleaner environment and not see fit to create new mess.

It might be good if other groups could do similar things. It was a good community activity, exercise and made me happier. Amey will provide litter picks and bin bags and will collect the waste afterwards if you contact them.

Good for you, my daughter is wanting to do a similar thing where we live and especially where we walk our dogs as it has become so bad it is quite depressing - thanks for the advice about who to contact, I will pass this on to her, any tips on how to get other people in the community involved?

Hi philyyy,

Sustrans Volunteer rangers do occasional litter picks - you can see details of the last one we did at http://sustranssheffield.blogspot.co.uk/

If you PM me I'll let you know an email address you can notify to when you're doing a clean-up - some of the rangers might come along.

Generally I do use the council's reporting form to report litter -

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/report.html

Hello. I recently took part in a litter pick along South View Road and Vincent Road in Sharrow, S7. I know a similar think has been done in Shirecliffe. I just wondered if anyone else would be interesting in joining this or creating another group in the future. The next planned one in Sharrow will be on Saturday the 7th of March, time to be confirmed. We will meet outside Strip The Willow on Abbeydale Road.

I know people will think this is the council's job, and it is, but the roads we cleared have been neglected for the ten years I have lived in the area and now (a week later) they are still a lot better than they were. How long that will continue is anyone's guess but hopefully people will notice the cleaner environment and not see fit to create new mess.

It might be good if other groups could do similar things. It was a good community activity, exercise and made me happier. Amey will provide litter picks and bin bags and will collect the waste afterwards if you contact them.

Well done, you are a good citizen ! Used to live on Herschell Road 40 years ago, played all round those streets you mention, can't ever remember litter being a problem. The debris of today's society and it will never improve.

I have just been up to my local library, Greenhill, cleared loads of litter from the green area in front, placed it all in the bin nearby and there is another bin 30 yards away.

Walked home and half filled the empty carrier bag I had with litter. No use blaming the council, a case today of doing things yourself !

Aries65 - The below link looks like one way of getting the community involved. I have used Twitter and in particular @HelpSheffield for putting out requests and organising stuff. Is your daughter or are you on Twitter, if so give them a shout. If not tell me what area you are looking to recruit in and I will see what response I can get. If you want to DM me I can give you my e-mail address so that you can give me the details.

Wildnorthlands - DM coming your way.

Philyyy thanks for that - yes my daughter is on twitter - she is only 18 and feels ashamed of where we live and concerned for small children in the area as some of the litter is glass bottles and the area concerned lies between two primary schools - she was quite willing to do it alone but the area is so large and the litter so plentiful that it needs a small army to clear it - thanks again

We do this in Unstone. The local council, North East Derbyshire, supply us with litter pickers, bags, hi-vis vests etc. it is a pity that this has to be done. Yesterday, in a 50 yard stretch of road through Unstone, I picked half a plastic bin full, comprising two glass bottles, lots of tins, ciggy packets, even condoms.

All well and good but we all pay Council Tax for these services which should be undertaken by City Council staff. I have done numerous litter picks almost on a weekly basis for years however why should it be left to the public to carry out these services...the Council keep the City Centre clean, sometimes but neglect the council estates, side roads, even main routes into the city. It is their responsibility. When l was younger there were numerous litterbins everywhere you looked that got emptied regularly. The simple lack of these anywhere but in the City Centre has led lots of people from more recent generations to just throw everything on the floor. So much as l admire volunteers for participating in clean ups...the City Council should be totally responsible for it as it is a public service that we pay for. Yes there are big cuts to Council spending but if they managed the money better and didn't spend vital funds on statues and sculptures or knock stadiums down to rebuild others etc maybe we would get the services we desperately need.

All well and good but we all pay Council Tax for these services which should be undertaken by City Council staff. I have done numerous litter picks almost on a weekly basis for years however why should it be left to the public to carry out these services...the Council keep the City Centre clean, sometimes but neglect the council estates, side roads, even main routes into the city. It is their responsibility. When l was younger there were numerous litterbins everywhere you looked that got emptied regularly. The simple lack of these anywhere but in the City Centre has led lots of people from more recent generations to just throw everything on the floor. So much as l admire volunteers for participating in clean ups...the City Council should be totally responsible for it as it is a public service that we pay for. Yes there are big cuts to Council spending but if they managed the money better and didn't spend vital funds on statues and sculptures or knock stadiums down to rebuild others etc maybe we would get the services we desperately need.

In an ideal world! Who thinks that local government has to pick up the tab and take responsibility for people who cannot dispose of their litter, by either taking it home or putting it into a bin. Where does this stop, a council official coming into your kitchen and emptying your rubbish bin, or washing up for you and putting your dirty dishes in a dishwasher? :roll: The state is not entirely responsible for your well being, beyond providing health care, education and welfare, and the more we pay for the picking up of litter dropped by morons, the less money the council has to spend on vital services.

Edited by Glennis

In this climate of not enough money to do what we want to do, and SCC have not got enough people to do many jobs on a regular basis. There are plenty of unemployed under 30 and above who would welcome a reason to get out of bed in the morning [some that wouldn't i know] i dont see any reason why this cannot work, just imagine a clean Sheffield, and as a spin off young people thinking twice about throwing litter on the streets, and not to mention dog fouling.

Feared this may turn to a political debate. Education is vital really. Seen many kids near our house chuck stuff on the floor and parents say nothing. GGGGGRRR. I like the plan of running after them with said litter and saying "It looks like your child dropped this", it confuses them somewhat.

In this climate of not enough money to do what we want to do, and SCC have not got enough people to do many jobs on a regular basis. There are plenty of unemployed under 30 and above who would welcome a reason to get out of bed in the morning [some that wouldn't i know] i dont see any reason why this cannot work, just imagine a clean Sheffield, and as a spin off young people thinking twice about throwing litter on the streets, and not to mention dog fouling.

Its an excellent idea, if enough people volunteer, the city is disgusting in places.