Any Street Furniture Remaining From The Old Tram System?

Given the passage of time I doubt their but much left but you never know. Is their anything like power boxes ( usually metal boxes with doors at the front they were mostly to with electrics system sometimes with coat of arms on them) poles for the overhead wireing sometimes they had lamps fixed to them. A few years ago when the Moor was repaved a section of the tram track was exposed so took a couple of photos of that , if their is any of examples of old system I would like to photo them.

There's a piece of the tramway furniture in City Rd Cemetery, go through the main gate up the steps and there it is, I think it was what was used when sections of the track were being worked on. It's kept in good order and the coat of arms on it is well painted. I don't know why it's in the cemetery as they were always at the side of the road.

HI crookedspire. On Abbeydale Rd, 50 yards on the city side before the junction of Archer Rd / Bannerdale Rd there is a metal pole from the old system.

On Montgomery Rd close to the junction of Crescent Rd, there is a junction box in the footway, a relic of when the system ran along there.

At the junction of Derbyshire Lane & Hemsworth Rd, the old route 34 terminus, the pole which supported the clock is still in situ and I am not sure if the pole which supported the terminus clock may still be at what was the Hollythorpe Rise terminus opposite Lees Hall Avenue.

Am I sad or just very observant ??

---------- Post added 16-02-2015 at 15:39 ----------

In City Rd cemetery at the top of the steps facing the main entrance, there is a piece of tramway furniture, a metal box 3ft high, perhaps 18 inch square.

Top of prince of wales road just above fairleigh, there is an original old Traction pole in the central reservation grassed area. The old section Box at the top of the steps in city road cemetery was, i believe taken from prince of wales road just below fairleigh on the left hand side, When it was in situ on prince of wales road ,the knob on the top of the box was still attached and i often wonder if it was broken off when it was removed and taken to city road cemetery.

The roundabout at Firth Park still has the cutting through it where the trams used to run. The tracks were still there until recently, but I think they've now been replaced with decorative block paving to replicate them.

Edited by AMR67

At the junction of Derbyshire Lane & Hemsworth Rd, the old route 34 terminus, the pole which supported the clock is still in situ and I am not sure if the pole which supported the terminus clock may still be at what was the Hollythorpe Rise terminus opposite Lees Hall Avenue.

Trams didn't come up as far as Derbyshire lane did they? Or Hollythorpe Rise? I always thought that pole opposite Graves Park had been moved there at some point.

Edited by Locksley

Trams didn't come up as far as Derbyshire lane did they? Or Hollythorpe Rise? I always thought that pole opposite Graves Park had been moved there at some point.

Quite correct, me getting carried away with thoughts of buses and not trams !

Quite correct, me getting carried away with thoughts of buses and not trams !

lol, I hoped I wasn't going crazy! Do you have an idea where it came from?

lol, I hoped I wasn't going crazy! Do you have an idea where it came from?

Hi Locksley, please explain i.e. what came from where ?

There is an electrical supply box outside the Cathedral as well as the one in City Road cemetery. Both have been moved a short distance to preserve them. There is a tram pole standing on Snig Hill near the police station. Also there are more than 50 manhole covers on the pavements around the city with 'Sheffield Corporation Electric Tramways' on them. There are several on South Road, Walkley and Rustlings Road, alongside Endcliffe Park, as well as odd ones all over the place.

There's an old tram pole still standing at Handsworth, at the end of St. Joseph's Road opposite the church.