This years St Georges day thread

whooo, someone remembered it,,,Happy St Georges Day

Further to the post before last, I received this speedy reply today in the post from my MP.

Thank you for your letter dated 23 April and I note your proposal but this is an issue that needs some careful thought if it is to be a success. Pride can sometimes be interpreted as conceit and that must be avoided.

the problem is how to achieve a national day that reflects modesty and respect as well as pride. Different countries approach this matter in different ways and that is why it is a matter for careful thought.

Niceties

Modesty??? Freakin' modesty? Bl**dy British attitudes, they do my head in! :rant: Why do we have to be modest? What is the point of having a national day and being modest about it? I am SO perplexed :huh:

I would like to know if there are any countries, particularly in Europe that do NOT have a national day.

You should see the French on their national day; they get all dressed up, make floats, have parades, eat tons of food and drink loads of wine and celebrate their Frenchness. They sing the national anthem, watch firework displays, have a great time, and everyone is happy. The Australians really go to town, they are proud of their country and it doesn't come across as conceit at all. WHAT has got into people? Does anyone else perceive other countries' national days as displays of unabashed conceit?

By respect, does he mean that we have to take the non-English members of the population into consideration? Pffft! Don't make me laugh.

I can see that there could be a lot of drunkeness attached to such a celebration in England, and that of course brings its own problems, but that can happen on any day.

So, what is he going to do about it? WILL he be giving it some careful thought? What suggestions do you all have?

And get on this website if you feel strongly about it. http://www.writetothem.com Thanks to Tony for that.

Am NOT a happy bunny :mad: