Universal credit rollout from Monday across the UK.

Isn't it true that with Universal Credit housing benefit is now going to be paid to the claimant instead of to the landlord?It was like this many years ago but so many people got into rent arrears that the sensible government at the time decided to pay it directly to the landlord.I can only see massive problems if a claimant gets a months pay and a months rent together,some will spend the lot and we shall get more evictions.

I thought HB was already paid to the claimant?

"Housing Benefit is normally paid to the claimant. However, under the current rules payments can be made directly to the landlord where:

the claimant has rent arrears of 6 weeks or more (except where we consider it to be in the overriding interest of the claimant not to make direct payments); or

an amount of Income Support/JSA (IB) payable to the claimant/partner is being paid direct to the landlord to meet rent arrears, or

the claimant requests or consents to such an arrangement; or

we consider it to be in the interest of the claimant; or

benefit is owing to a claimant who has left a dwelling with rent arrears (the amount paid is limited to the amount of arrears)."

From here

http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/advice/renting_privately/advice_landlords/benefits_and_claims_landlords.htm

I don't think they'll bother policing it like that. I think they'll simply put a time limit on 'top up' money, say it will only be paid for 6 months or something...

Then they'll claim to have got more people into full time jobs, based on the drop in people claiming tax credits.

Just like they've done with the unemployment figures.

Don't you think they actually count the number of people in work Anna?

The only reason unemployment has gone down is 1) The government is massaging the figures, 2) claimants have got so fed up of being treated like dirt they have chucked off and are doing a bit of fiddle,and 3)when someone is sanctioned they are classed as employed.A genuine unemployed figure would be 5 or 6 million.

3)when someone is sanctioned they are classed as employed.

Genuine question..is this your opinion or is it fact? If fact where do you get it from?

I thought HB was already paid to the claimant?

"Housing Benefit is normally paid to the claimant. However, under the current rules payments can be made directly to the landlord where:

the claimant has rent arrears of 6 weeks or more (except where we consider it to be in the overriding interest of the claimant not to make direct payments); or

an amount of Income Support/JSA (IB) payable to the claimant/partner is being paid direct to the landlord to meet rent arrears, or

the claimant requests or consents to such an arrangement; or

we consider it to be in the interest of the claimant; or

benefit is owing to a claimant who has left a dwelling with rent arrears (the amount paid is limited to the amount of arrears)."

From here

http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/advice/renting_privately/advice_landlords/benefits_and_claims_landlords.htm

Is this an up to date piece of information because I can assure you Ivan Edake is right when he says H.B is paid to the landlord.

Is this an up to date piece of information because I can assure you Ivan Edake is right when he says H.B is paid to the landlord.

If you look at the page it says "updated 23rd February 2015" so your guess is as good as mine.. just had another look and it appears to be a Northern Ireland site.... is it different over there? My mistake if it is..

this is from Thanet Council

"Normally we pay Housing Benefit by BACS to the claimant, but we may pay you in certain circumstances. Information on when we may pay benefit direct to the landlord is detailed in our Safe Guard Policy"

http://thanet.gov.uk/your-services/benefits/housing-benefit/information-for-landlords/

And this from Leeds

"The Local Housing Allowance regulations require that LHA is normally paid direct to the

tenant. Private tenants cannot choose to have their rent paid direct to the landlord. "

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Payment%20of%20LHA%20to%20landlords.pdf

No idea how old they are but it's a bit of bad management if the info is out of date yet still available..

Edited by truman