Glossop Road shops

There was a shop on Glossop Road across from the church in 1987. Does anyone know who the owner was around that time or what the shop was called please? I am asking as I really need to know to figure out my past. Thank you for any help.

There was a shop on Glossop Road across from the church in 1987. Does anyone know who the owner was around that time or what the shop was called please? I am asking as I really need to know to figure out my past. Thank you for any help.

The only active church on Glossop Road in 1987 was/is the Church of St Mark, Broomhill and did not a have a shop near it.

The University Drama studio is an old Church and there were/are several shops opposite including (at various times) a Post Office, Medical appliances, Café, barber, hairdressers, computer shop/consultancy, nut shop, grocers, bakers, sandwich shop and more.

I think the shop I am on about is now an hairdressers. I really need to find the owner or his son as I believe he may hold some information about my past. The shop was owned by a man & his son used to work there & they had a woman there from the YTS scheme to work there for a few weeks/months (unsure which) but I really need to know anything about this as I need to find the son of the owner. Think the son was early 30's in 1987 if this helps anyone.

There have never been any churches on Glossop Road so far as I am aware. The church building partially owned by the University is the old Wesley Church, which is on Fulwood Road. However, there have never been any shops across the road from it. There are shops on the same side of the road, further down, however.

St Mark's is on Broomfield Road and there are no shops of any description there - just houses, apart from The Rutland Hotel at the junction of Broomfield Road and Glossop Road. There is a small chapel on Newbould Lane, where the guides, scouts, cubs and brownies used to meet, but again, there are no shops there. The only thing across the road is King Edwards school. There was an old chapel on Ashdell Road, across the road from what used to be Oxley's menswear and was owned by a member of the Laitner family. Whether this is the "church" you are referring to, I don't know.

The only building on Glossop Road that I can think of which is vaguely "church like", is a building that looked like a temple, at the end of Winterbourne Road. I don't know if it ever was a church, but it was derelict when I lived at Broomhill - it was one of my playgrounds - before it was turned into offices. There are some shops across the road, one of which used to be a rather nice dress shop. Whether your hairdressers is one of them I don't know, as all the shops in that area have changed hands many times.

The Baptist Church on Glossop Road is now the Drama Studio (since 1970) of the University and has shops opposite.

Broomhill Methodist New Connexion Chapel/United Methodist Church on Glossop Road/Westbourne Road was long gone before 1987.

Oxley's menswear was on Fulwood Road and is backed by Ashgate Lane/Road which was also at the back and sides of the now rebuilt Methodist Church on Fulwood Road.

The Broompark Congregational Church building is still on Newbould Lane, Broomhill

There is no and Winterbourne Road off Glossop Road.

The Baptist Church on Glossop Road is now the Drama Studio (since 1970) of the University and has shops opposite.

Broomhill Methodist New Connexion Chapel/United Methodist Church on Glossop Road/Westbourne Road was long gone before 1987.

Oxley's menswear was on Fulwood Road and is backed by Ashgate Lane/Road which was also at the back and sides of the now rebuilt Methodist Church on Fulwood Road.

The Broompark Congregational Church building is still on Newbould Lane, Broomhill

There is no and Winterbourne Road off Glossop Road.

I think that she meant Westbourne Road

There was an Oxleys on Glossop Road in the early 70s or may even have been in the late 60s as well as the shop on Fulwood Road which I think shut down in the 90s.