Help:the art of welding

Hi, just wondering if anybody has experience or knows anyone with experience in the art of welding? I would like to do metal junk art in my free time but could do with a little bit of tutoring!! Hopefully this could lead onto a club/workshop for others once I've gained confidene. Thanks alan

Practice practice practice...... I am in the same boat. I went on a welding course years ago at Hope Valley College, can't remember much about it though. A few years back, I bought a MIG welder from Machine Mart, and use it occasionally. I depend on using an angle grinder afterwards, and lots of paint!

Bite the bullet, buy a mig outfit and play! You WILL improve!

If you're looking at doing junk art then you are free of one of the biggest problems for most welders, which is getting your welds structurally strong to do a particular job, so as smithy266 says, just get the kit and put in lots of practice.

My sister taught me to weld when I was in my early 20s, but it was a long time ago and I'm down to one working arm now, so that's all gone.

Whatever you do, please make sure that your protective gear is up to scratch. There's way too much potential to hurt yourself or damage your eyesight with welding.

If you price up a gas welding set including bottles you will soon realise what a bargain a mig welder is, plus some insurers will not cover you for acetylene to be stored in your home or attached shed/garage.Have you considered brazing as an alternative, you can use propane instead,much cheaper.

I got rid of my gas welding kit 25 years ago

Edited by rockonvynil

seen as Tig requires Argon not acetylene, and argon is an inert gas there are no issues with it.

mig is cheaper. but so are charity shops.

there are many great reasons why nothing structural is welded with Mig.

He's wanting to do artwork, I'm sure Mig would be adequate

What is the problem with Mig then, in layman's terms? I had a 'proper' welder to repair sections of my Land Rover chassis, with my Mig outfit.... he is also an MOT inspector, and treated my vehicle as if it was his... ie made a pretty good job of it.

Thanks guys will look into a no gas mig welder as most of my welding will be tack welds not structural. Anybody recommend a brand ? sealy mightmig 100 looks like a good starter but any advice would be grateful. Thanks alan

I got my set from Machine Mart, also have a pub gas cylinder for when I do bigger jobs. If you want to come and look, pm me.

Thanks smithy266 i will have to take you up on your offer . Cheers alan

We recently built a land rover discovery off roader, the chassis was shortened to 90 inches and an external roll cage fitted, new nudge bar bumpers were fabricated and all the body work done using good old mig . I have never known a mig weld we have done fail and we repair some serious stuff from farmers tackle and hgvs to normal car welding.

As a metallurgist I can say there is nothing wrong with a mig weld if, like everything in life, it is done correctly.