Tram rail replacement to start again soon

The route of the bus for the #6 works starting on 11 may looks like some nightmare route.

Could walk faster to the station than take that bus even if it speeded while running red lights on the suggested way.

I suppose most people could other than the elderly and disabled. Unfortunately many people in Sheffield are lazy gits and wont want to walk from Castle Square to get to the station tram stop and Supertram will be obliged to provide a replacement no matter how cumbersome and lengthy it is.

When I mentioned it to a conductor they said it was the same for them. Supertram let them know 5 mins before a shift started that they needed to go an alternative way.

I'm sorry but i really think that's a complete crock of ****e what that conductor has said!!

My brother in law is a conductor and he was telling me before the works started that all staff had attended and got rostered off for briefings about it.

There was also a public roadshow held at arundel gate interchange and all these details were on display there

Diversions, road closures etc all need to be agreed with the council highways department and police and permits etc obtained in advance(unless of a genuine emergency) ..and i'm sure we all know how slow red tape can move.

I genuinely think alot of people just fail to read the notices on the tram stops etc and just rock up expecting everything to be the same day in day out.People have to take some responsibility for checking their own journey details surely??

There's so many ways to find information out I doubt SYPTE could do more except knock on every individual's door within an 80 mile radius of the tram and tell them individually.

The current works are running a few days ahead of schedule and the next area of works will commence on Tuesday 2nd June.

Current service until 1st June (area 6, Fitzalan Square):

Green tram: Halfway-Sheffield Station-Meadowhall

Purple tram: Herdings Park-Sheffield Station

Blue tram: Castle Square-Malin Bridge

Yellow tram: Castle Square-Middlewood

Replacement bus G6: Cathedral-Granville Road

Next service from 2nd June (area 7, Cathedral)

Blue tram: Halfway-Fitzalan Square and Shalesmoor-Malin Bridge

Yellow tram: Meadowhall-Fitzalan Square and University-Middlewood

Replacement bus Y7: Fitzalan Square-Shalesmoor non stop

Replacement bus B7: Fitzalan Square-Shalesmoor via West Street & University

There was also a public roadshow held at arundel gate interchange and all these details were on display there

Where were the details posted about the public display as I had not heard about it?

Where were the details posted about the public display as I had not heard about it?

I saw details of it.

Anyway, too late now :D

The current works are running a few days ahead of schedule and the next area of works will commence on Tuesday 2nd June.

Current service until 1st June (area 6, Fitzalan Square):

Green tram: Halfway-Sheffield Station-Meadowhall

Blue tram: Castle Square-Malin Bridge

Yellow tram: Castle Square-Middlewood

Replacement bus G6: Cathedral-Granville Road

Next service from 2nd June (area 7, Cathedral)

Blue tram: Halfway-Fitzalan Square and Shalesmoor-Malin Bridge

Yellow tram: Meadowhall-Fitzalan Square and University-Middlewood

Replacement bus Y7: Fitzalan Square-Shalesmoor non stop

Replacement bus B7: Fitzalan Square-Shalesmoor via West Street & University

Just to add, a PDF of the area 7 timetable booklet is now available to download here: http://www.supertram.com/rr2015p7.html

During Area 7 works, trams to/from Meadowhall will use the northside platform and the trams to/from Halfway will use the southside at Fitzallan Square.

The tram replacement bus period in S6 was great! Plenty of buses, always got a seat, fast service, quiet journey, no talking and nice drop-off point near Cathedral. Now we're back to normal - Hillsboro tram stop like Piccadilly Circus, crowded trams, constant recorded announcements, conductors yelling about tickets and passes, total lack of etiquette about letting people off the tram....:rant:

The tram replacement bus period in S6 was great! Plenty of buses, always got a seat, fast service, quiet journey, no talking and nice drop-off point near Cathedral. Now we're back to normal - Hillsboro tram stop like Piccadilly Circus, crowded trams, constant recorded announcements, conductors yelling about tickets and passes, total lack of etiquette about letting people off the tram....:rant:

Trams are actually running to a reduced frequency at the moment - every 12 minutes instead of every 10 minutes - so it may be a short term issue.

note in area 7 trams from Hillsborough terminate at Shalesmoor or University with a bus onward to Fitzalan Square, also with a drop off on Leopold Street.

then area 8 yellow runs normally, blue from Malin Bridge runs as far as Sheffield Station then resumes at Gleadless Townend.

Oh, I can't wait until it's all over, and we can listen once again to that monotonous voice over the tram loudspeaker, thanking us for our "patience and loyalty!" Loyalty!

Rant alert!:rant:

Look, Supertram bods: customers choose their mode of transport based on a variety of factors, including economics and convenience. "Loyalty" is not a factor. When a business relies on customers' "loyalty" it is in serious trouble (if a business provides goods or services that customers are prepared to voluntarily pay for, it doesn't need to ask for loyalty). So, with respect, quit the patronising thanks for "patience and loyalty" and just get on with providing the best service you can, at the best price. That's all paying customers expect of any business.

Why not just get the bus instead? I got on a bus near mine one day because it was raining hard and I didn't want to walk the extra bit to the tramstop, and was pleasantly surprised to find it was cheaper than the tram and seemed to be faster. Haven't got the tram to town since!

The current area of works (Area 7, Castle Square/Cathedral/Church Street) continues to progress on schedule. If all continues to go well the line from Fitzalan Square to University of Sheffield will reopen on Saturday 27th June.

Area 8 works (City Road/Hollinsend) begin on Monday 29th June and continues until 28th August.

The service will generally be as follows:

TRAMS

Yellow route : Middlewood-Meadowhall (normal service)

Blue route : Malin Bridge-Sheffield Station

Blue route : Gleadless Townend-Halfway

Purple route : no service

DEDICATED REPLACEMENT BUSES

B8 LIMITED STOP: Fitzalan Square-Manor Top-Gleadless Townend

P8 VIA TRAM ROUTE: Fitzalan Square-Park Grange Road-Manor Top-Gleadless Townend-Herdings Park

There will be some tweaks when works take place at South Street Bridge, Spring Lane and White Lane.

Information will be available at http://www.supertram.com.

Fares still continue to remain at the same levels, most of which have been frozen for a couple of years or more now:

Adult Single £1.50/£2.20 depending on distance

Sheffield Bus* & Tram Dayrider £3.90

Tram Only Weekly Megarider £12.50 / Tram Only 4 week Megarider £42

Sheffield Bus* & Tram Weekly Megarider £13.50 / Bus* & Tram 4 week Megarider £46.

Tram tickets include the replacement buses where appropriate.

* Stagecoach buses. If you require other operators buses Citywide tickets are available, see sytravelmaster.com for details.

4 week Megarider tickets are sold online at http://www.buymymegarider.com. 1 week tickets are available on tram from the conductor (cash payment only) or online.

Edited by Andy C