Tram rail replacement to start again soon

Andy C, thanks for the reply. Does that mean that I'll be able to catch a bus from Park Grange Rd direct to town. I'm more worried about getting to town from Park Grange Rd than vice versa.

Yes you will.

Buses will run Herdings Park > Gleadless Townend > Manor Top > Park Grange Road > City Centre.

Trams will run Sheffield Station to Malin Bridge (except for 5 days when access to Sheffield Station won't be available), Meadowhall to Middlewood and Halfway to Gleadless Townend.

The planned dates for that area of work is 29th June to 28th August.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 16:49 ----------

The timetables for trams and replacement buses 28th March to 8th May along with information on fares changes will be available from tomorrow. Information booklets will be available on board trams.

Thought I would give this thread a little bump as the area 5 works (Hillsborough) start this Saturday.

The revised service is:

BLUE ROUTE: tram Halfway-City-Shalesmoor, bus Cathedral-Shalesmoor-Malin Bridge

YELLOW ROUTE: tram Meadowhall-Cathedral, bus Cathedral-Shalesmoor-Middlewood.

PURPLE ROUTE: Herdings Park-City-Meadowhall as normal.

Passengers from the Middlewood/Malin Bridge direction requiring Netherthorpe Road, University of Sheffield, West Street or City Hall should change from bus onto the blue route tram at Shalesmoor. Passengers travelling to Cathedral or beyond should remain on the bus to Cathedral (they will run non-stop Shalesmoor-Cathedral).

Replacement buses will be at least as frequent as the trams normally are.

You can download a timetable booklet from http://www.supertram.com for more information.

Note there may be some weekend road closures that have an effect on the bus services.

TICKETING:

Whilst bus operators are increasing their fares, Supertram are continuing to freeze or even reduce their fares for the duration of the rail replacement works. This will mean that regular commuters using replacement buses will be paying a price that is no more than you would normally pay for bus travel and those travelling by tram are enjoying great value.

The fares news, from 28th March:

Adult Singles - £1.50 and £2.20 fares both frozen

Adult Bus & Tram Dayrider - reduced to £3.90

Family Bus & Tram Dayrider - frozen at £8.50

Bus & Tram Weekly Megarider -frozen at £13.50

Tram Only Weekly Megarider - NEW, priced at £12.50 (includes tram replacement buses)

Bus & Tram 28 day Megarider - frozen at £46

Tram Only 28 day Megarider - frozen at £42

Note some tickets that are principally bus tickets but valid on tram (eg Megarider Gold and Citywide) are not priced by Supertram and may be subject to separate fares change announcements.

Edited by Andy C

Events this week:

Wednesday 22nd April:

Varsity Games final at the Arena - extra trams will run Shalesmoor/City-Arena

Wednesday 22nd April:

Avengers Movie midnight showing at Valley Centertainment - special tram will run back to City, University and Shalesmoor at 2:30am after the film.

Thursday 23rd April:

Student Shopping night at Meadowhall:

Special arrangements will be in place to cater for extra demand for travel:

Saturday 25th April:

Sheffield Wednesday vs Leeds United:

There will be changes to the tram replacement buses before this match. Local bus operators will provide additional services between City and Hillsborough on routes 53, 79 and 85 - see http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/keepingyouinformed.aspx.

---------- Post added 21-04-2015 at 15:41 ----------

Area 6 rail replacement works - Fitzalan Square area

The current works (Area 5, Hillsborough area) are due to be completed on 8th May, the next area of works runs from 11th May to 3rd June.

Trams will run:

Blue route: Malin Bridge-Castle Square

Yellow route: Middlewood-Castle Square

Purple route: Herdings Park-Sheffield Station-Meadowhall

Green route: Halfway-Sheffield Station-Meadowhall

Replacement Bus: Cathedral-Sheffield Station-Granville Road-Fitzalan Square-Cathedral (Circular)

Edited by Andy C

How is everyone finding their commute to work?

Personally I find the journey okay. The buses run every 5 mins but the buses are always overcrowded before 9 A.M (as expected).

How will both the Blue and Yellow routes run to Castle Square when there isnt a crossover there? Will they cross over at Cathedral and then run the "wrong way" in service to Castle Square before reversing?

I don't understand why they don't put conductors on the buses to speed up the process.

I don't understand why they don't put conductors on the buses to speed up the process.

Because that would involve paying more staff.

This morning I caught the bus and there were 2 young conductors stood at a stop in Hillsborough not checking peoples tickets. How about being a little bit more pro-active and try to help speed up peoples already tricky journey to work. No wonder people prefer to take the car!

I've found it ok, and it seems like the bus staff are in the dark, just like us, when it comes to the various re-routes they have to take.

I hope the works are to time though, because it's still taking about twice as long to get to work.

Edited by mogwai84

How will both the Blue and Yellow routes run to Castle Square when there isnt a crossover there? Will they cross over at Cathedral and then run the "wrong way" in service to Castle Square before reversing?

Correct - cross over on departure from Cathedral and arrive at the 'wrong platform' at Castle Square, departing from there on the next trip in the normal fashion. (Note many trams will switch between yellow and blue between trips at Castle Square).

---------- Post added 28-04-2015 at 15:26 ----------

I've found it ok, any it seems like the bus staff are in the dark, just like us, when it comes to the various re-routes they have to take.

I hope the works are to time though, because it's still taking about twice as long to get to work.

Work is currently ahead of schedule thanks to the good weather, the final week of works will be little more than 'snagging' tasks.

---------- Post added 28-04-2015 at 15:29 ----------

Note Fitzalan Square tram stop will be closed during 'area 6' works, trams from Halfway and Meadowhall will be linked together on a direct 'Green Route' via Sheffield Station. A shuttle bus will run between Granville Road and Cathedral linking with trams. The buses will run a circle serving Sheffield Station on the way to Granville Road and Fitzalan Square on the way back.

Timetable booklets will appear on tram later this week and is already available online at http://www.supertram.com.

Edited by Andy C

I've found it ok, any it seems like the bus staff are in the dark, just like us, when it comes to the various re-routes they have to take.

To be fair, the diversions are on the tram stops and on the supertram website so not sure what more info could be provided short of knocking on everyone's door and tell them personally!

How is everyone finding their commute to work?

Personally I find the journey okay. The buses run every 5 mins but the buses are always overcrowded before 9 A.M (as expected).

Having to run to get on the tram at Shalesmoor most days. Missed it the last couple of mornings. I know they are doing the rails just after Shalesmoor, but damn I HATE that bus stop on Penistone Road, having to walk through a small path in the bushes. (and it taking longer to get to the tram stop - hence missing it)

There were undesirables loitering around there yesterday when I got off the bus to go for the tram.