Tram rail replacement to start again soon

the tracks should have lated at least 20 years.

AS the tram started running in March 1994 the rails have done better than

you suggested

Leaflets now on trams with advance information.

More details for area 5 of rail replacement works (the first of 2015), including changes to Supertramlink buses, can now be found online at http://www.supertram.com/rr2015p5.html

Well as i said, the buses are not following the route up Netherthorpe road for the first set of works. Therefore at 20mins per tram first thing..well that doesn't bode well. I couldn't go to the open forum, since I have caring responsibilities. But the fact the leaflet was printed BEFORE the forum, well shows how much they really wanted to hear our thoughts doesn't it..

But the fact the leaflet was printed BEFORE the forum, well shows how much they really wanted to hear our thoughts doesn't it..

Don't think there was any suggestion they wanted your thoughts before proceeding with plans. It was an opportunity to find out more and ask questions, not shape the replacement bus service. My o/h was invited to a focus group at the depot back in Nov or Dec and they were asked loads of questions. In fact the o/h said it was really positive and they were asking lots of questions and soliciting ideas and feedback.

Think I might get the H1 to and from Hillsborough and the University.

Edited by mogwai84

I can't help but notice that Phase 8 of the works involves no trams at all between Sheffield Station and Gleadless, despite the works only taking part between Spring Lane and Gleadless Townend and there being a switchover point at Spring Lane which could be used to maintain some form of service beyond the Station

This will leave Norfolk Park without any trams for the second consecutive summer despite no actual work taking place in the area

I can't help but notice that Phase 8 of the works involves no trams at all between Sheffield Station and Gleadless, despite the works only taking part between Spring Lane and Gleadless Townend and there being a switchover point at Spring Lane which could be used to maintain some form of service beyond the Station

This will leave Norfolk Park without any trams for the second consecutive summer despite no actual work taking place in the area

Spring Lane is not an ideal place for buses to connect with trams, there are no facilities for staff and also the crossover is designed for emergency use only and to have it in constant use requires disruptive and expensive traffic management in place.

Replacement buses will run City-Norfolk Park-Gleadless Townend-Herdings Park.

Does anyone in the know, know if Norfolk Park, specifically Park Grange Road will be affected by the Gleadless Townend - Station ( area 8 ) on the Supertram site? Will there be a bus running directly down Park Grange Road into town or will it be a circular affair whereby we end up having to go out of our way to get in to town.

Cheers!

Does anyone in the know, know if Norfolk Park, specifically Park Grange Road will be affected by the Gleadless Townend - Station ( area 8 ) on the Supertram site? Will there be a bus running directly down Park Grange Road into town or will it be a circular affair whereby we end up having to go out of our way to get in to town.

Cheers!

One assumes there will be two different routes leaving from near where the Argos is. One will be an express to Gleadless, the other one stopping at all stops or as near to all stops as possible

Cheers!

The circular route seen in area 1 two years ago will not happen - the bus had to operate like that due to Park Grange Road being one way due to the tram tracks being replaced in the other lane. The works in area 8 are principally on City Road and Ridgeway Road (there is some smaller works around Granville Road and South Street bridge).

Another disliked feature of previous years bus service that will not happen again is the separate shuttle to Herdings Park.

During area 8 works the plan, I believe, subject to confirmation is to run

- tram replacement buses following the normal Purple tram route as close as possible from the City Centre to Herdings Park via Park Grange Road and Manor Top.

- additionally express buses direct City Centre to Gleadless Townend to connect with Blue route trams to Halfway.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 22:10 ----------

One assumes there will be two different routes leaving from near where the Argos is. One will be an express to Gleadless, the other one stopping at all stops or as near to all stops as possible

Note the stop by Argos is not being used this year - this has now been allocated to First and Stagecoach buses to Hillsborough.

During area 5 buses are using St James Row by the Cathedral, area 8 bus info yet to be announced.

Edited by Andy C

Andy C, thanks for the reply. Does that mean that I'll be able to catch a bus from Park Grange Rd direct to town. I'm more worried about getting to town from Park Grange Rd than vice versa.

Andy C, thanks for the reply. Does that mean that I'll be able to catch a bus from Park Grange Rd direct to town. I'm more worried about getting to town from Park Grange Rd than vice versa.

It will, although depending how far up you are you might be better going onto City Road and catching any of the buses down to town there.

As already said, it's a normal replacement service, it was only circular last time due to the road being dug up.

Will they ever stop altering public transport routes ...? No sooner do they finish one disruption, then they start another !