Bath crash death driver details emerge

The driver of a tipper truck that crashed in Bath, killing a child and three adults, had recently passed a test to drive more advanced vehicles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-31454693

Why has the driver been named? He's going to get crucified by morons on social media, the media itself and the pillocks on the street who will collectively have blamed him for the crash.:confused:

I thought this, the guy in Glasgow got anonymity. Shame his ID was reported before any kind of wrongdoing has been alleged.

I thought this, the guy in Glasgow got anonymity. Shame his ID was reported before any kind of wrongdoing has been alleged.

Shame? I think it's down right irresponsible of the media

Yeah, thought the same, atrocious! The lad already has to live with this as it is.

Yes he has to live, the victims have died due to neglect with his driving or the condition of the truck.At least fifty percent of the brakes on the truck should apply when air pressure failure occurs and trucks have to have a six weekly safety check.Something has gone seriously wrong here but does the driver have to be held responsible initially,only time will tell who or what was at fault.

Lets not jump to conclusions over this terrible accident. It is every professional drivers worst nightmare to be involved in an accident such as this.

I dont think it is age prejudice as such Gary, but to be realistic, 19 is still an age of relative inexperience driving a car. A 'few months' holding a HGV license puts that experience in its infancy but i stress that i am not pointing blame here, merely pointing out that the young mans inexperience may well have contributed to other possible circumstances like a mechanical failure.

Its true that the brake failsafe system should apply the brakes if there is a loss of air pressure, however you have to remember that this vehicle was travelling downhill with what appears to be a 'heavy load'. This being the case, air pressure may have not been the issue but possibly brake fade (brake overheating) or even (though unlikely) engine over run.

All said, witnesses claim that he was repeatedly blowing the horn on approach and 'swerved' into a line of cars (presumably to attempt using them as a crash mat?) in an attempt to avert the accident. Inexperience may well be a factor but that doesnt not essentially mean that it was in any way negligent.

My thoughts go out to all the people involved in this tragic accident.

Drivers under estimate their braking power when going down a long steep hill.

One reminder is that stone wall at the bottom on Hagg Hill at Rivelin. The times I have seen that stone wall demolished at the bottom.

When going down hill use your engine and low gears to asist your brakes. Old brake fluid and long braking can cause brake fade.

Just heard on the radio that the drivers been arrested. Suspicion of death by dangerous driving, and manslaughter due to gross negligence. A 28 year old mans also been arrested.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-02-17/two-men-arrested-over-deadly-bath-lorry-crash/

Edited by nikki-red

Drivers under estimate their braking power when going down a long steep hill.

Would a large lorry skid in the same way that a car would, that would make a noise to warn people, would there have been any need for the horn.

If the brakes fade then it won't skid because they are no longer working at 100% and can't apply enough force to lock the wheels.

If the brakes fade then it won't skid because they are no longer working at 100% and can't apply enough force to lock the wheels.

But car brakes have enough power to lock, any brakes that cannot lock would be classed as not working properly?