2016 rod licence increase.

I don't know how many coarse anglers there are in England but I reckon it's far less than we think. So is there enough bailiffs. According to the EA last year there were 70,000 checks, officers caught 2,800 fishing illegally, fines totaled £600,000.

Rather than force anglers to buy an extra licence I believe sea anglers should be licenced.

The days of fishing with a cane and a bent pin are long gone backwardben

The last report I saw a few years back was that there was 4.4 million anglers per year. Obviously some of these are one offs ,however it did put fishing as the second most popular sport in the UK.

I actually had my licence checked last year, first time in my life that it's happened, and I know 3 anglers that day were caught Without licences from the match next to my match.

Where was your licence checked Doug? I rarely fish outside Sheffield and haven't seen an official. I looked on the EA website and can't find how many licences were sold last year, our last increase was 4yrs ago not as I thought 5yrs.

I know what you said about 4.4 million was true, it's a while since that figure was mentioned. It could be more it could also be a lot less,

It would be interesting to know how many licences will be sold if everyone is to only buy one, there's also the junior licence if it is to be dropped. I know quite a few kids who fish with family members, so I guess we will never know the true figure.

I had my licence checked at ranskill last year. My friend and me were the only pleasure anglers ( on the old trout lake as all the others were matched up ). Two

EA officers turned up,checked our licences then left,ignoring the matchmen completely.

Has anyone had their licence checked around Sheffield recently. The EA have offices in Rotherham so we should expect to see the odd one occasionally.

There's no reason to ignore match men, it's hardly fair when match anglers are left unchecked especially if EA bailiffs are on site,

Has anyone had their licence checked around Sheffield recently. The EA have offices in Rotherham so we should expect to see the odd one occasionally.

There's no reason to ignore match men, it's hardly fair when match anglers are left unchecked especially if EA bailiffs are on site,

give them a call and ask them why they dont bite, i had to ring them last year nice set of people ask for peter of the rod licence team . sure he could help with any questions. he could not do enough for me top bloke

The last report I saw a few years back was that there was 4.4 million anglers per year. Obviously some of these are one offs ,however it did put fishing as the second most popular sport in the UK.

I've been back on the EA web site and what I found was that last year 23 million pound was generated from over 1 million anglers.

How that equates to the numbers of anglers I don't know, with short term, junior and disabled licences.

There's a lot of guff about the work the EA do, far to much to list.

All I can say I don't see it for how busy they say they are.

---------- Post added 23-02-2015 at 14:20 ----------

give them a call and ask them why they dont bite, i had to ring them last year nice set of people ask for peter of the rod licence team . sure he could help with any questions. he could not do enough for me top bloke

They may sing a good tune from their desk Paul.

They ignore reports of poaching at Ulley.

Would be nice to hear from some fishery owners who have actually had help from the EA, when it's gone wrong for them.

eckorob mentions help available to fisheries in the third post above.

Hi Mr Hinks,

eckorob's post states "i run a fishery and the amount of help the ea would give"

the operative word being "Would".

I'm interested in what they have actually done, say, in the event of chemical spillage, or Disease outbreak, ie did they rush out on red alert and get the problem resolved as best they can, or did they offer advise over the phone.

Regards

J

Edited by Jace

I can't say, what I do know is they ignore reports of poaching in my experience. I know there are only 3 officers in Lincolnshire two of which are based in Northamptonshire.

And I don't believe there are any active in South Yorkshire.

On top of that all they get from the courts when guilty anglers are caught breaking rules is costs. You'd think the fines would go to them but it doesn't.

I'd leave the license the same, i.e. 1 license covers 1 or 2 rods. Then give anglers the chance to license extra rods, for example £10 for the third rod.

Why do carp anglers need 3 rods by the way? They used to manage with 2 rods but at some point started to need 3 rods. Is it the pod manufacturers making pods for 3 rods that convinces people they need 3 rods? Lord knows what they would do if all 3 rods had bites.

I fully agree. I am a carp angler and usually use 2 rods. If I was on a venue that allowed 3 rods (most I go to have a 2 rod limit) and wanted to use 3 rods, I would willingly stump up the extra tenner. When you consider that it would last for a year it would be a bargain, and possibly boost the E.A.'s coffers.

I fully agree. I am a carp angler and usually use 2 rods. If I was on a venue that allowed 3 rods (most I go to have a 2 rod limit) and wanted to use 3 rods, I would willingly stump up the extra tenner. When you consider that it would last for a year it would be a bargain, and possibly boost the E.A.'s coffers.

i agree what can you buy for a tenner