Advice Needed - Privet

Hi

Its time to get stuck in to my garden and I haven't a clue what to do but the first thing I need is privacy. I would like a privet hedge but I don't know where to start. Any recommendations for where to buy from, whats the fastest growing and is now the best time to plant? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I would say get a fence. It's instant and no where near as much maintainance in the long run.

However, if the op wants a hedge as a living screen, it's helping the wildlife too. It would depend on how long you want it. You ideally need to stagger the planting so it produces a good dense hedge, so double the amount you think. I would go for a company online as it would likely be cheaper in bulk.

To be honest, depending on exactly what you're after I would go for a hedge that has more interest than a privet, something like a dogrose then you would get flowers and hips too, but it's your choice of course.

I agree that a native species, mixed hedge would be better for wildlife and for interest. Bare rooted plants are cheaper and easier to plant but the thing is, you really need to look sharp to take advantage of them because they have to be planted in the dormant season. If you prepare the ground well and get them in before the end of March they will get well established before the end of summer and into autumn.

Thanks for the replies

I definitely want a privet rather than a fence as the fence I had up has been damaged, kicked down and looks unsightly. I enjoy gardening(even though I don't know what I'm doing) and will keep the privet neat and tidy so that's not a problem, its just the planting I'm not sure about.

Ive been told to get them online and to avoid B&Q etc so hearing that again, I will definitely take that advice.

I'll take a look at the plant that's been recommended, thanks.

More advice welcome:)

Sarah

I only offered my advice as having once had privet all around my back and frount i konw how much hard work and time it takes to keep it looking good. I have the fence now and a wide range of bushes/shrubs it gives a lot more interest over the year and i stll have and cater for the wildlife. To me it's the easiest and better looking option.

I agree with most of the above posts. I have several hundred feet of mixed native hedging and fencing. The hedge does need cutting twice a year. Mixed native hedging isn't supposed to be tightly clipped but it does need to be done twice a year really in a garden setting. You have to do it after the birds have finished nesting and then in autumn so it doesn't need to be done until the summer. A mixed native hedge will take about three years to give a dense hedge around three to four foot high. I started mine with bare root plants that were just like small twigs. The secret is to cut it back severely the first few years to make it bush out. If you plant singly you need to plant closer together than a double staggered row. I wish I had planted a double staggered row as you can fill gaps in easier if one doesn't take.

Fences need maintaining too if you don't want them to rot. We have concrete posts and concrete gravel boards with wooden panels. Ideally they should be treated annually with a good preserver or water repellent fence treatment. They should last ten to twelve years if treated annually.

I haven't had privet hedges for many years but they are usually kept more tightly clipped than other hedges so it seems like hard work if you have to do it regularly.

I have had lots of bare root plants from here over the years. I have also had some potted pyracantha too to mix in with one of the hedges.

http://www.hopesgrovenurseries.co.uk/?gclid=CJS0sJCS3cMCFazKtAodFhsAKg

I remember feeding my stick insects this stuff as a kid.

If you need a professional and trustworthy Sheffield landscape gardener then please do get in touch.

Call Nigel on 07805171640

Email Nigel at [email protected]