Light fitting advice?

I was changing the lampshade on my hall ceiling light and the fitting came off leaving me with just the flex coming from the ceiling, the end bit having come off in my hand.

Do I need to buy a new fitting? or can it be re-attached?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

If it's charred or broken, put a new one on. They cost about £1. Switch the power off at the consumer unit/fuse box first!

Ive bought a new one - we will have a go at doing it later.

Thanks for your reply

Just on the topic of lampshades, we don't like the low output from new lights so we have 150w bulbs. We would like 200w bulbs but the shade won't take it. Does anyone know where we can get a lightweight shade to take 200w bulbs?

It's not just the shade. The light fittings themselves are also rated, and the flex may char and become unsafe if you use a higher wattage. A pendant is typically rated 60w or 100w. The answer is to have more lights/lamps rather than one 200w bulb.

Just the standard traditional bulbs. We had 200w bulbs here for years but now we need a new lampshade and I can only find ones rated at 100w max.

We have tried the new types but all seem not powerful enough. If we get energy saving bulbs with supposedly the same power output, they never are when you compare the two like for like.

200w incandescent bulbs then?

I thought that the sale of anything above 60w had been restricted.

200w incandescent bulbs then?

I thought that the sale of anything above 60w had been restricted.

It has, but you can still get them. They are the same but they have to be sold as rough service lamps.

---------- Post added 26-11-2015 at 09:27 ----------

It's not just the shade. The light fittings themselves are also rated, and the flex may char and become unsafe if you use a higher wattage. A pendant is typically rated 60w or 100w. The answer is to have more lights/lamps rather than one 200w bulb.

I don't really want three were one will do. I have tried three 60w equivalent energy saving bulbs at the side of one standard 150w bulb and the 150w bulb gave more light even though technically it is supposed to be thirty watts less.

Edited by spilldig