Tramlines on the Ponderosa

I wouldnt have been paying to go to the main stage, I like to go around the pubs etc and see the local/unsigned bands, but the main stage moving will affect this part of the festival too.

The landlord of the Frog & Parrot was on the radio the other day saying that they were going to have to reconsider the amount they spend on bands etc because the footfall will drop massively.

Obviously moving it to a bigger venue will make more money for the organisers, but will possibly have a detrimental affect on the festival as a whole.

Edited by nikki-red

I don't think moving the main stage is that bad of an idea. The top of the Ponderosa is 10min walk from the current site. Devonshire Green could become a secondary stage.

If this is required to keep the festival going then that's fine.

The Ponderosa provides a great 'amphitheatre' for a main stage with it's natural slope and is easy to get to. It would link up the Kelham Island venues too.

I have just been informed that Tramlines wants to come to the Ponderosa Park in Upperthorpe. Why do we have to put up with the Ponda being used for big events every year, surely there are bigger parks to hold these events.

For the past 3 years I have had to put up with people using the tower blocks as toilets because of the **** in the Park event that is held there. Now we have to put up with loud music if Tramlines comes.

Its not fair to the tenant's who live in the tower blocks and surrounding area.

The only people who will profit from this are the council and Tesco. :loopy:

When I lived in West One back when I still lived in Sheffield, I complained on here about the noise, mess and people using the open areas of the complex as bathrooms. I was roundly abused and called a snob. I wouldn't hold your breath for any support.

Ah right. I thought there was just the one stage.

Also I think the trams are off that week in that area, I could be wrong on that though

Trams were of last year too but less of an issue when the event is in the centre of town

The bit of tramway closed this year for rail replacement on Tramlines weekend will be between Sheffield Station and Gleadless Townend so won't effect services in the festival area. (replacement buses will run City-Gleadless-Herdings with onward trams Gleadless-Halfway).

The closest tram stop to the Ponderosa stage entrance is Netherthorpe Road, also only a short walk away is University of Sheffield, Shalesmoor and Infirmary Road tram stops.

Blue route trams will run from Sheffield Station via Cathedral, West Street, University, Netherthorpe Road, Shalesmoor and Hillsborough to Malin Bridge. Every 10 minutes during the daytime, every 20 minutes evenings/Sunday.

Yellow route trams will run from Meadowhall via Nunnery Square Park & Ride, Cathedral, West Street, University, Netherthorpe Road, Shalesmoor and Hillsborough to Middlewood. Every 10 minutes during the daytime, every 20 minutes evening/Sunday.

The combined service through the City Centre and Shalesmoor is every 5 minutes in the daytime and every 10 minutes in the evening. Some festival specials may also operate Sheffield Station-University-Shalesmoor.

A good way to do Tramlines this year may be to buy an all day tram ticket and hop on and off between Station-Cathedral-West Street-University-Netherthorpe Road-Shalesmoor to cut down on walking and crowds!

Edited by Andy C

Deleted - misread above

Ah right. I thought there was just the one stage.

As well as the Ponderosa, there will be outdoor stages at Devonshire Green, City Hall, Peace Gardens and Endcliffe Park as well as all the usual venues such as CADS, Student Union, O2 Academy, Leadmill, Harley, Queens Social Club, Cathedral etc.

Additionally there are loads of free gigs in pubs and bars.

Interesting that the Tramlines people haven't bothered consulting with any of the local residents.

A very large, ticket only event that excludes almost all that live in Upperthorpe and Netherthorpe and brings no benefits to the area (no shops sell alcohol apart from Tesco).

K.

a councilor wanted to have a meeting with the tenants but there meeting room is unavailable. I heard there wasa protest at the town hall last week.

Iv also complained about this, no one was informed of this happening my doorstep is literally on the ponda.and yes it's bad enough when peace In the park is on so this is going to be awful 3 days of drunk drugged up people, last peace in the park there were people even having sex opp my house, and as for the area wow coukdbt have chosen a worse area for drugs and violence going to be awful

I did think it was always well attended in city centre, so why there putting it there makes little sense. Usually when things happen in places residents who live on adjacent streets ate given free tickets to appease them. I know that happened with the circus at Hillsborough park, and a few other places aswell

I did think it was always well attended in city centre, so why there putting it there makes little sense. Usually when things happen in places residents who live on adjacent streets ate given free tickets to appease them. I know that happened with the circus at Hillsborough park, and a few other places aswell

It has simply outgrown the Devonshire Green area. There are too many people wanting to get into the main stage area each year causing huge delays in getting in.

a councilor wanted to have a meeting with the tenants but there meeting room is unavailable. I heard there wasa protest at the town hall last week.

The councillor's not trying very hard, there are meeting rooms in Upperthorpe Library as well as one in the tower blocks. Which councillor was it?

K.