Belly Pork and Beef Short Ribs

Hi

I've got a nice slab of belly pork. I've cooked it a few times before, scored the skin and rubbed with salt, etc. However, I have a recurring problem in that the bottom of the pork toughens up so it becomes dry and completely inedible, which results in me having to cut about 20 - 30% of the pork off. Anyone have any fool proof recipes?

While you're here, I've also bought some lovely looking beef short ribs. I've used one once before, but that was to sit on top of a ragou and then I diced the beef into the veal and beef mince . . . it was a great addition. However, any ideas how you'd cook them standing alone? Can you roast them or would they always be part of a stew type mixture?

Thanks . . .

I have seen some recipes where you roast the belly pork on a bed of vegetables.

Maybe that could keep the bottom from getting tough?

A bed of thin sliced onions and sliced apples and pour a little stock over them, then rest belly on top, add stock throughout cooking. Works a treat ;)

A bed of thin sliced onions and sliced apples and pour a little stock over them, then rest belly on top, add stock throughout cooking. Works a treat ;)

...just thinking you could reduce the juices from that for a great sauce...if feeling fancy maybe a splash of Calvados, x

Oooo, just had a brain-fart...cooking Beef short-ribs on a bed of vegetables , beef stock and Bourbon...yummy!

Edited by lilypiglet

I've never had that problem with my belly pork. I usually cook high and fast at 220 for 20 mins to get the skin crisp before turning down to 200 and cooking for another 50 minutes.

I sometimes marinade with soy and 5 spice but that can result in it being too salty if not careful.

Short ribs - I've cooked twice. The first time was roasted, long and slow, on a bed of diced carrot, onion and tomato which combined to make a fantastic ragu.

The second time was last week, roasted on a bed of Mediterranean veg and potato with half a bottle of strong dark ale poured over it. Fantastic.