Ski village the future

They should put a (non-flammable) viewpoint at the top of the ski slopes. Best part of that area is the views, I'd go up there more often if my walking route didn't take me through some areas that can feel a bit unsafe (the railway bridge on Rutland Road is nasty on foot, stinks of human sewage and very badly lit. Plus last time I went up there were a bunch of 'oodies vaulting the fence into the old brewery, and some charming men in a white van decided to holler at me) :)

Does anyone have any insight into the future for Sheffield Ski Village from now onwards?

This was my idea, originally started in 2014, I campaigned a little and gathered a fair deal of public support for the regeneration project I was proposing.

What do you guys think to this idea?

Project 'eat my park', Sheffield, for a community garden/growing space using some of the land on Sheffield's closed Ski Village. We plan to clear waste by upcycling as much as possible, for example; abundant piles of tyres for plantpot beds, abandoned materials from the ski slopes such as the mesh, to turn into vines for growing creepers etc, scattered rocks, bricks and general debris can be used to help shape the growing beds, turn into benches and sculptures, and to provide plenty of blank canvas space too for local street artists.

All I need is responses from Sheffield City Council and the legal owners of the ski village, a go ahead for a JustGiving fundraiser page I have put together for this project, and people who can spread the word for me! Sharing this post will be a great help if you like the idea, the more people knowing about it, the greater network of support, advice, ideas and volunteers available, the greater our chance of success!

Lets turn the abandoned Ski Village into a huge upcycling, community allotment/garden growing and art space. Horticulture, local food production, clearing of waste by turning it into something new and efficient. Massive Grow Village... Who's with me?

Sorry for lots of words there, I just wanted to make sure I gave an accurate impression of what the progress of such a project will entail...!

All feedback extremely welcome and appreciated!

Anything would be better than it being on fire every few weeks

Anything would be better than it being on fire every few weeks

It could be used for an annual Guy Fawkes night party. A few fireworks, some catering vans etc. Competition for Don Valley :)

Student Accommodation would be a great idea.

It should have been turned into an indoor ski arena but SCC refused to allow planning. What we have now is SOOO much better! Well done SCC, you have turned a possible attraction to an area that is in dire need of renovation into an eyesore and a source of embarrassment for the city. [slow clap]

Student Accommodation would be a great idea.

I'll second that … maybe scatter a few of these around the place too, if money permits.

It should have been turned into an indoor ski arena but SCC refused to allow planning. What we have now is SOOO much better! Well done SCC, you have turned a possible attraction to an area that is in dire need of renovation into an eyesore and a source of embarrassment for the city. [slow clap]

The reason why other indoor ski areas do well is location. Proximity to other 'leisure', retail and services in order to provide a multi purpose day out for groups/families. That's what makes Manchester and Castleford so good.

Sticking a big shed (because that is all we'd get) on a dump site surrounded by ruins and filthy industry, that you access through a poorly maintained 'track' road that is subject to crime will simply not work

I'm all for a decent slope in Sheffield, I love skiing and used to be a member at the Ski Village. But it will never work just there. And as Manchester and Castleford have proven, you don't actually need a hill to build one of these things.

Lets turn the abandoned Ski Village into a huge upcycling, community allotment/garden growing and art space. Horticulture, local food production, clearing of waste by turning it into something new and efficient. Massive Grow Village... Who's with me?

The land owner wants to turn the site into housing, not some hair-brained community fun-park.

The reason why other indoor ski areas do well is location. Proximity to other 'leisure', retail and services in order to provide a multi purpose day out for groups/families. That's what makes Manchester and Castleford so good.

Sticking a big shed (because that is all we'd get) on a dump site surrounded by ruins and filthy industry, that you access through a poorly maintained 'track' road that is subject to crime will simply not work

I'm all for a decent slope in Sheffield, I love skiing and used to be a member at the Ski Village. But it will never work just there. And as Manchester and Castleford have proven, you don't actually need a hill to build one of these things.

I don't necessarily agree, but I can only speak from personal experience. I have never used other leisure facilities when attending one of these locations (Castleford and Milton Keynes). I have only used the shopping or food which I recall was part of this development. Eventually other facilities would have appeared in the vicinity as the whole area needs drastic rejuvenation.

When something bad happens and you wonder who may be behind it, ask yourself who ends up benefiting from it.

The land owner wants to turn the site into housing, not some hair-brained community fun-park.

Of course he does, bigger return of £££££££££££££££££££££££££ in houses than a park.