Walkley Library

This attitude is one that is becoming more prevalent in Sheffield as more and more of the professional classes move into the old working class districts.

The "working class" / "professional class" stuff is old hat and no longer relevant.

The days of putting on yer flat cap and going t'mill are gone.

Todays factory worker sets off for work in his Audi wearing a nice pair of Levis, as heavy, dirty industry has declined to become technical jobs.

And that young couple next door with a little Renault are both young doctors

Gone are the days of looking down at trades people in Walkley and doffing your hat to the teacher living in fulwood

This is Sheffield "every man a king" we don't and never have doffed our cap to anyone.

This is Sheffield "every man a king" we don't and never have doffed our cap to anyone.

Nonsense. Sheffielders are as prone to this as anyone else.

Walkley, Crookes, Hillsbro are now being followed by parts of Heeley and Meersbrook in this situation .

Deny it if you like but it is the long time residents that you need to talk to.

I agree that Meersbrook, Crookes and parts of Walkley have been gentrified but I didn't realise Hillsborough had been drawn in too. I can see it happening, but I thought it was like Heeley in the sense that this hadn't really happened yet.

adding somewhere where people can have the option of getting blind drunk, make a nuisance of themselves, then decide to relieve themselves down the side of the houses on the road is quite something which we are overly not keen on.

To be fair to Kane Yeardley that's not a description Id use of his bars. Have you ever seen the clientèle at the York in Broomhill?

A whole lot of middle class types, and professionals, university lecturers, teachers from the private schools after work, a few students early doors but there are cheaper alternatives for them as the night goes on. We are talking a place where people go for a relatively expensive sit down pub meal.

Who knows it might even bring Olfat and Cesar at Rowsha and Vito some more trade when it opens

The nosiest pub in Walkley is the Rose , with its karaoke nights and summer parties but I've never found that intrusive either.

I know an awful lot of professional middle class types, female university lectures mostly, who say they will be taking their trade from Broomhill to Walkley when this opens. I've yet to see them drop their skirts to relieve themselves outside at closing time so i think well be OK.

We've already had an incident at New Years where someone took a liberty on their level of noise of a house party until the small hours.

In other shocking news, kangaroos turn out to have pouches.

Kangaroo's didn't get a brick through their front window though at 2AM from the sounds of it.

You don't mess around up here. And I love that as a community, we don't tolerate such intolerances :thumbsup:

You didn't mention that earlier. Still, you can't get annoyed about noise from parties on New Years Eve, it is part and parcel of the change in the calendar.

I think it is nonsense to celebrate things like that, but a lot of people feel it is a good opportunity to have a bit of a party and you have to respect that (or live in the middle of nowhere).

Time will tell of course

Cheers for your input - it's been noted and I'll stand corrected should the noise levels remain the same on the road :hihi:

---------- Post added 24-03-2016 at 10:17 ----------

Kangaroo's didn't get a brick through their front window though at 2AM from the sounds of it.

You don't mess around up here. And I love that as a community, we don't tolerate such intolerances :thumbsup:

The t'old Walkley Warriors...... My friend is one of those! :hihi:

Apologies for 'popping' this one up again.

We have grave concerns for the noise level on our street thanks to the new plans.

The library staying is one thing, adding somewhere where people can have the option of getting blind drunk, make a nuisance of themselves, then decide to relieve themselves down the side of the houses on the road is quite something which we are overly not keen on.

We've already had an incident at New Years where someone took a liberty on their level of noise of a house party until the small hours.

We don't stand for it up here.

A new years eve party? crazy times!

I live in Walkley and am quite looking forward to a decent pub opening up. I'm not sure how long you've lived in Walkley - but there used to be loads of pubs that used to do lock ins until whenever o'clock and didn't seem to bother anyone. Most of them have now turned into flats. So I cannot see one more pub opening up making much difference.

A new years eve party? crazy times!

I live in Walkley and am quite looking forward to a decent pub opening up. I'm not sure how long you've lived in Walkley - but there used to be loads of pubs that used to do lock ins until whenever o'clock and didn't seem to bother anyone. Most of them have now turned into flats. So I cannot see one more pub opening up making much difference.

Rose house seem to stay open quite late at a weekend, but its crappy beer. but everyone is happy and friendly.

The Palm is good if you like a nice cask ale, its smaller and also friendly