Akbars New Sheffield Restaurant - West One

I always laugh at comments like this, there are loads of English people eating English fodder in places like Elmwood Farm, doesn't make them anygood though. Akbars is totally average and must be the most overrated eating place in the area.

Which curry house would you recommend top4718.

I've never had a bad meal at Shapla, Cutlers Spice is good and both Ashoka and Prithi Raj on Eccy Rd are miles better than Akbars.

Cutlers Spice has good ratings on trip advisor but its not my favourite curry house

I do like Shapla not been to Ashoka or Prithi Raj recently! Ambar on Eccy Rd or Indus at Attercliffe are very good in my opinion.

We went last night and thought it was up there with as one of the best we have had in Sheffield.

Depends on what you like to eat when you go for an "Indian" I suppose.

If it's pappadoms, onion bhaji's, and curry with rice and naan, or chips, I suppose you could go anywhere and I dare say that some of the places mentioned already, like Cutlers Spice, Shapla, 7 Spices, Butlers, Prithi Raj, etc. etc. would be just as satsifying for you as somewhere like Akbars.

If you are a bit more adventurous, dare I add, "discerning" then I think you'll find Akbars the best that this city has to offer. The tandoori starters are fabulous - especially the fish dishes - fish machli and masala fish. Beautiful fresh fish fried in a spicy coating. The tandoori lamb chops are also delightful.

The curries tend to be more like traditional Pakistani style - so they can be a bit on the dry side, compared to the few pieces of meat floating in a universal spicy gravy that you get at most "Indian" places. I like the Roshan Lal ( a very spicy lamb curry) and "Akbar e Balti" ( a mix of chicken, lamb, mushroom and potato curry).

Tell me of another Indian restaurant in this city that makes huge fresh naan breads that are served at your table, fresh from the oven, hanging by a spike? They are simply the best by a mile - they aren't out of a packet and defrosted and heated in the microwave like most places.

I find Akbars really good value for money and the quality is excellent. I've tried Prithi Raj and Ashoka also on Eccy Road (and many more besides). I thought both were good, but pretty mainstream compared to Akbars - but I guess that's what some want?

The other place I would recommend is Aagrah at Crystal Peaks. (Yes I know there is one in Leopold Square but it's not as good as the CP one). The buffet there is exceptional value. Around 70 dishes to choose from and only £8.95 a head before 6.30pm. Still not quite as good as Akbars but if you appreciate finer quality Indian food it is definitely worth the trip.

Went a couple of weeks back, I found my meal over seasoned very salty, I've been to Akbars in Leeds and found the same, perhaps its the dishes I'm having, Lamb Karahi last time on this occasion I tried the "Chef's challenge" dont think anyone could eat it all , its a large chicken lamb and potato balti, a giant nan and pilau rice , we just shared it between 2 and ordered an additonal curry, (you dont get the ice cream if you finish it when shared)

service was fine and of course when asked if my meal was fine I did the usual "yes great mate" as probably just my personal opinion, but anyone else think its heavy on the salt?

usually go to chutneys - gleadless I prefer this place, bangladeshi, always have a good meal and no complaints, cutlers spice food ok but not really impressed with the service on the 3 occasions I've been.

Think people get too hung up on which is the best curry house, its whatever you prefer innit

I was the birthday girl and I was given a huge golden throne to sit on and a birthday ice cream sundae with a very large indoor firework stuck in it and the waiters sang to me and took an instant photo which was presented to me in a card to take home.

Sounds horrendous, but thanks for the tip off!

Went a couple of weeks back, I found my meal over seasoned very salty, I've been to Akbars in Leeds and found the same, perhaps its the dishes I'm having, Lamb Karahi last time on this occasion I tried the "Chef's challenge" dont think anyone could eat it all , its a large chicken lamb and potato balti, a giant nan and pilau rice , we just shared it between 2 and ordered an additonal curry, (you dont get the ice cream if you finish it when shared)

service was fine and of course when asked if my meal was fine I did the usual "yes great mate" as probably just my personal opinion, but anyone else think its heavy on the salt?

usually go to chutneys - gleadless I prefer this place, bangladeshi, always have a good meal and no complaints, cutlers spice food ok but not really impressed with the service on the 3 occasions I've been.

Think people get too hung up on which is the best curry house, its whatever you prefer innit

Yes i agree on the salt I've been twice and it can be a bit on the salty side it's usually the lamb dishes I think they may do this to tenderise the lamb! Aagrah seem to do the same! Yes chutneys is ok cutlers spice is not my favourite but it does have a good rating on trip addviser ! Give ambar a try its just over hunters bar roundabout 150yds on your right heading away from the town centre

But everybodys got theirs own favourites.

Edited by allwednesday

I would not dream of going there myself.

Some of my friends went with several others and they say it is an experience they would all not wish to repeat, but that is just their opinion.

Depends on what you like to eat when you go for an "Indian" I suppose.

If it's pappadoms, onion bhaji's, and curry with rice and naan, or chips, I suppose you could go anywhere and I dare say that some of the places mentioned already, like Cutlers Spice, Shapla, 7 Spices, Butlers, Prithi Raj, etc. etc. would be just as satsifying for you as somewhere like Akbars.

If you are a bit more adventurous, dare I add, "discerning" then I think you'll find Akbars the best that this city has to offer. The tandoori starters are fabulous - especially the fish dishes - fish machli and masala fish. Beautiful fresh fish fried in a spicy coating. The tandoori lamb chops are also delightful.

The curries tend to be more like traditional Pakistani style - so they can be a bit on the dry side, compared to the few pieces of meat floating in a universal spicy gravy that you get at most "Indian" places. I like the Roshan Lal ( a very spicy lamb curry) and "Akbar e Balti" ( a mix of chicken, lamb, mushroom and potato curry).

Tell me of another Indian restaurant in this city that makes huge fresh naan breads that are served at your table, fresh from the oven, hanging by a spike? They are simply the best by a mile - they aren't out of a packet and defrosted and heated in the microwave like most places.

I find Akbars really good value for money and the quality is excellent. I've tried Prithi Raj and Ashoka also on Eccy Road (and many more besides). I thought both were good, but pretty mainstream compared to Akbars - but I guess that's what some want?

The other place I would recommend is Aagrah at Crystal Peaks. (Yes I know there is one in Leopold Square but it's not as good as the CP one). The buffet there is exceptional value. Around 70 dishes to choose from and only £8.95 a head before 6.30pm. Still not quite as good as Akbars but if you appreciate finer quality Indian food it is definitely worth the trip.

One of the very few meat floating in gravy curries I have had was at Akbars, the naan breads at Ashoka are also far superior and are also made fresh.

I've been in Akbars this evening with a few work colleagues. I was really impressed. Their Korma has been one of the nicest i've had, plenty of chicken. Their Naan bread was a decent size. Good value for what I ate!

Have you tried Ashoka since their recent refurb? We had not been for a long time but ate there a couple of weeks ago and were very impressed with the place. The food and service were both excellent.

Had a takeaway last night too and it was really good.

Not cheap mind but the lamb in my Kolkata Karai was very lean and tender.