Butlers and joe's .

That is indeed a sad loss. Used to eat at Joe's cafe a lot back in the 60s when I went to university. Huge helpings. Everything came with batter pudding, a bit like Yorkshire but more solid if you see what I mean. I still remember Joe as a young man. RIP.

I used to go to butlers nearly every lunch time in the late 60s and 70s best meals ever steve used to be the cook and I think his mother sat by the till watching I saw mant famous people having their lunch and tea in there on the long canteen benches or small tables many of the uni lectureers and professers went there to as well as doctors from Jessop hospital and the near by old royal great food there meat and potato pie was to die for as was fish and chips on Fridays pity it had to close but all the staff HAD WORKED THERE FOR DONKEYS and I think steve died that's why it closed xxx

Surely Joe will have pasted away now, he seemed old in the sixties.

The Joe I remember would have been in his early 30s, which would have been about right if he's just died at 82.

Cafe was near St George's church. Very popular spot for students as well as lorry drivers. Great value for money.

Reading the Butlers and Joe's thread and a posting by Jaffa 1 re the probalbe death of Joe; I saw his death announced in the 'Star' a few weeks ago and I believe he was in his early 80s.

---------- Post added 28-06-2015 at 19:49 ----------

Sorry about last posting. I hadn't seen that Joe's death had already been written about.

Talking about old cafe"s in Sheffield Beatys on Northfield Rd corner Loxley View Rd was one of the best in the area in 50s 60s only small place when it got busy Beaty would put you in her front room,I thimk her husband was called Joe, brilliant meatand potatoe pie ,also sausage ond mash with onion gravy.

Replying to Bazza63, my husband and I used to take our young daughters to Beaty's at Saturday lunchtimes , after we closed our shop. The girls loved it, especially when Beaty used to laugh and ask them if they wanted tweacle sponge for afters!! Beaty and Joe were lovely people, who, along with serving up excellent food, always made people feel welcome. It's such a pity that there don't seem to be these special little cafes around nowadays.