Idiotic Driving instructor

its the same problem coisley roundabout backed up from parkway at 8am and the right hand lane is empty same at night from town back to coisley a que down to the bridge at parkway rh lane to woodhouse empty , use the outside thats what its for a overtaking lane, then zip feed and let them in, they do it when a police car passes them but when it a private car its ooh must stick bumper to bumper dont let em in

This is exactly how it should be.

I don't know why Sheff doesn't just put up massive signs telling people to merge in turn because until they do it's down to pushing in.

My take on this has always been that if everybody plays by the same rules this system would work perfectly. Because of the lack of signs, most people do queue in the left hand lane on the approach to the Parkway from Coisley Hill roundabout, and therefore many people get irritated on that road, rightly or wrongly. I have written to the Council on more than one occasion asking about erecting Merge In Turn signs. They tell me they can't because it isn't a recognised road sign (they then later said it has to be applied for as a special case, involving a cost, which is what I suspect is more to the point). What peeves me is that such a simple solution would save a lot of anger and frustration on the road, and possibly prevent a road rage incident in the future. Surely it's got to be worth the outlay?

The Germans, once again, have a simple answer to this: on approach to two lanes merging into one, use the available road space (both lanes, therefore no-one is queuing and no-one is queue-jumping) then merge in turn at the end at low speed.

Ganz einfach!

Contrast the mash-up given in Rule 134 of the HC:

"You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed."

The key to merging in turn is the relative speed of the two lines of traffic. Those in lane two should match (not exceed) the speed of those in lane one. Such body language ("I'm not competing with you but collaborating") will get a message across and result in an easy merge. While the majority of British drivers dash left to queue in lane 1 there will always be a feeling of them (dastardly dashers) and us (compliant queuers).

Edited by DT Ralge

I witnessed something similar a few months back. I'm not going to name the company's name but was it a Audi learner car the one you witnessed?

No a yellow seat. I think.

I think the instructor had a John Travolta fixation.

Or a BeeGees fan.