Dada shut down/Trippets re-opens

DnAuK, I'm not going to do that ridiculous internet arguing/point scoring thing so I'll start by saying I totally respect the real ale geeks. I was convinced to stop drinking lager some years ago by friends who are ale geeks and have discovered the delights of (as I said mainly pale) ales.

But do you see Uber's point, that there's nothing wrong with variety? I.e. those who don't go a bundle on ales (and even those who do but just want to do something different occasionally), DaDa's closure offers an opportunity for something different?

That's why I'm commenting on this thread BTW - remember Trippets/Dada has only been an ale bar for a comparatively short time. But it's not even the ales I was casting aspersions on - it was the atmosphere.

Notwithstanding that, surely you are not saying that every bar in every location should be a real bar?

Are you?

Of course not - but are you seriously suggesting that Sheffield is short of alternatives? There is even a Tiki bar due to open - in the old Varsity place.

The thing is about good a good beer bar is it tends to attract a more discerning crowd than your average pub. And if done correctly doesn't have to be just about beer. It can also attract wine drinkers, gin drinkers, whisley drinkers... even cocktail drinkers. The Old House being a case in point. Anchorage another. Cities like Leeds and Newcastle have loads of these kind of places .

Would be fantastic to think that Sheffield could support a 'Friends of Ham' or 'Pleased to Meet You' but many don't think we have the right demographic. An argument hardly helped by a comment like 'it's just beer - it's alcohol...'

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 09:20 ----------

I hate it when people hire entire pubs out for functions. Although, more than once I've turned up and gone in anyway due to inadequate signage, and have been halfway into my first pint and the buffet before realising.

Totally with you there. I remember getting a taxi out to WEST bar in Glasgow once, paying the fare, walking up to the door and finding the entire place had been given over to a private function. Not only had I wasted the taxi fare, and the return, I had to stand around in the cold in a dodgy area of town for 15 mins whilst another taxi turned up. Was not happy.

A fair response DnAuK which contains some good points which I can't argue with. However I would like, if I may, to debate this:

The thing is about good a good beer bar is it tends to attract a more discerning crowd than your average pub.

I'm afraid I'm not totally convinced and would argue that this is a rather a South Yorkshire-centric view. Pubs perhaps, but one could point to extremely discerning bars (not necessarily in Sheffield) that have little to do with real ale. There's an affluent demographic in (West) Sheffield too. Perhaps a new Trippets - which is more bar than pub - could cater to this (which is what I would like, personally).

However that said, ale is super fashionable these days. I'm in France a lot, and they're quite taken by the whole craft beer thing coming out of the UK and Ireland. So maybe you're right.

Edited by E-Man Groovin

A fair response DnAuK which contains some good points which I can't argue with. However I would like, if I may, to debate this:

I'm afraid I'm not totally convinced and would argue that this is a rather a South Yorkshire-centric view. Pubs perhaps, but one could point to extremely discerning bars (not necessarily in Sheffield) that have little to do with real ale. There's an affluent demographic in (West) Sheffield too. Perhaps a new Trippets - which is more bar than pub - could cater to this (which is what I would like, personally).

However that said, ale is super fashionable these days. I'm in France a lot, and they're quite taken by the whole craft beer thing coming out of the UK and Ireland. So maybe you're right.

This brings us back to the original point debated by Ubermaus - there is a disctiction between 'real ale' and 'good beer'. Some real ale is terrible and the bars it is served in even worse (I'm going to quote Cask Corner in Doncaster here, which is a self-confessed 'dive bar' rather than risk the wrath of Mr Steel City again...) 'Good beer' tends to be expensive. You only have to look at the 'Jaipur X' thread to know that it can be £7 a pint or more. Non-discerning people won't pay this. Just as no-discerning people will rather drink a £5 bottle of Jack Rabbit in Wetherspoons than pay for a decent wine.

Although I'll concede that it is possible to pay lots of money for total cr*p in some (supposedly uber-trendy') bars. 15 years ago I paid $6.50 (plus tip - which made it well over a fiver) for a bottle of Corona in Coyote Ugly. But I would argue at that point I was not at all discerning!

Both in the same glass works well...

Thats hardcore Pete. But like your thinking.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 15:09 ----------

This brings us back to the original point debated by Ubermaus - there is a disctiction between 'real ale' and 'good beer'. Some real ale is terrible and the bars it is served in even worse (I'm going to quote Cask Corner in Doncaster here, which is a self-confessed 'dive bar' rather than risk the wrath of Mr Steel City again...) 'Good beer' tends to be expensive. You only have to look at the 'Jaipur X' thread to know that it can be £7 a pint or more. Non-discerning people won't pay this. Just as no-discerning people will rather drink a £5 bottle of Jack Rabbit in Wetherspoons than pay for a decent wine.

Although I'll concede that it is possible to pay lots of money for total cr*p in some (supposedly uber-trendy') bars. 15 years ago I paid $6.50 (plus tip - which made it well over a fiver) for a bottle of Corona in Coyote Ugly. But I would argue at that point I was not at all discerning!

Sounds like whittling it down to the best real ale pubs could be best. These pretenders may die off anyway.

Edited by ubermaus

I'll miss DAda - a lot.

It had a lot going for it, lots of lovely and friendly staff - who stayed on for a really long time. When Jamie moved down to that there London it took a turn for the worse. Staff became "meh" and really didnt want to know you.

I used to like it because the ladies was always super clean and loo roll always installed, rather than left to just go everywhere. A clean ladies is a sign of a good pub in my opinion.

The DJs and bands on at 7pm was too much and too loud. The sound system could cut off the feed for the sitting area, but most of the time it was just blaring. When they painted over the Sheffield music archive, that was it for us.

I've just seen a full page ad in Exposed magazine which has pleased me greatly.

It reads: "Opening late May... Trippets... Fizz, Gin.. and all that Jazz"

This is music to my ears (being a jazz and fizz lover). So far, so very good.

(if the new owners read this and might be interested in some suitable jazz-based entertainment, send me a PM)

I've just seen a full page ad in Exposed magazine which has pleased me greatly.

It reads: "Opening late May... Trippets... Fizz, Gin.. and all that Jazz"

This is music to my ears (being a jazz and fizz lover). So far, so very good.

(if the new owners read this and might be interested in some suitable jazz-based entertainment, send me a PM)

Walked past it today and it looks likely; there are posters on the building saying the same thing, there's a new sign up, and activity fitting it out inside.

Has this now reopened?? :confused:

Has this now reopened?? :confused:

Looks like it is ready to. Apparently now taken over by the former hosts of the Bull at Ashford so the food should be good

Of course not - but are you seriously suggesting that Sheffield is short of alternatives? There is even a Tiki bar due to open - in the old Varsity place.

There has been a Tiki bar for ages in Sheffield already by the way. In Leopold Square.

http://www.bamboodoor.co.uk/

There has been a Tiki bar for ages in Sheffield already by the way. In Leopold Square.

http://www.bamboodoor.co.uk/

I dont think the place DnAuk mentioned isnt going to open anyway

https://www.facebook.com/LolaLoSheffield

Unit has been empty for months and no FB activity.

Edited by Vegas1

I dont think the place DnAuk mentioned isnt going to open anyway

https://www.facebook.com/LolaLoSheffield

Unit has been empty for months and no FB activity.

I was wondering about this. I'd be surprised if it opens any time soon.

Edit - just noticed this:

"Sheffield is scheduled for opening to coincide with the start of the new student year in late September 2015."

Disappointing recent trading for the company:

http://www.investegate.co.uk/eclectic-bar-group--bar-/rns/interim-results/201503250700223690I/

"The second quarter, which includes the important October period when students return to university, proved more difficult. Reduced numbers of students, more competition being seen across a number of our sessions and venues, disappointing early trading for two of our new openings (Lola Lo in Derby and Dirty Blonde in Brighton) and poor trading at Bournemouth, have impacted on the current period results."

Share price:

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/GB00BG49KW66GBGBXASQ1.html

Rich

Edited by belperite
Further info