Dada shut down/Trippets re-opens

Sad to see that Dada has shut its doors for the last time according to its twitter page.

https://twitter.com/dada_bar

Only went a couple of times but it was good to go to a place that had some decent beers, was open later and seemed to have either decent or experimental music on.

Guess it just didn't pull enough punters through the door.

Wonder what'll happen to the pub, and if this has wider implications for the Thornbridge empire?

Sad to see that Dada has shut its doors for the last time according to its twitter page.

Only went a couple of times but it was good to go to a place that had some decent beers, was open later and seemed to have either decent or experimental music on.

Wonder what'll happen to the pub, and if this has wider implications for the Thornbridge empire?

Doubt it will have any impact on Thornbridge. When I spoke to the marketting manager there he was quite clear that Thornbridge weren't interested in opening any more bars (and fairly ambivalrnt to most of those they have got!) as they are making far more money out of exporting their beer these days.

Would be nice to see an independent take Dada and do something better with it whilst it still has all those beer lines in... I could never work out why the main bar area was practically devoid of seating and given over to gigs / DJs when half the pub couldn't see it. Would be best served as a more wine bar type envoronment. Only with beer.

Would be best served as a more wine bar type envoronment. Only with beer.

Exactly. Trippet's Wine Bar was a nice, cosy, trendy kind of place, but they didn't really do beer. So I thought that's the bit Dada would change, they did but lost the positive aspects of the old place. I never got used to the daft name either.

It was too expensive and the atmosphere wasnt quite right. The wine bar used to be better but it seems every pub now wants to be a 'real ale' place.

Not everyone likes real ale or wants to pay £4 a pint!

---------- Post added 10-02-2015 at 12:10 ----------

Doubt it will have any impact on Thornbridge. When I spoke to the marketting manager there he was quite clear that Thornbridge weren't interested in opening any more bars (and fairly ambivalrnt to most of those they have got!) as they are making far more money out of exporting their beer these days.

Would be nice to see an independent take Dada and do something better with it whilst it still has all those beer lines in... I could never work out why the main bar area was practically devoid of seating and given over to gigs / DJs when half the pub couldn't see it. Would be best served as a more wine bar type envoronment. Only with beer.

Thank god. I dont rate Thornbridge at all.

Love to see something else on the scene rather than Thornbridge, Forum bars or wetherspoons.

---------- Post added 10-02-2015 at 12:12 ----------

The trend has been for real ale pubs but its saturated.

I'd like to see 'wine bars' opening again. Wine sells and they can make money on wine.

The lack of decent places for people who enjoy wine is abysmal.

It was too expensive and the atmosphere wasnt quite right. The wine bar used to be better but it seems every pub now wants to be a 'real ale' place.

The trend has been for real ale pubs but its saturated.

I'd like to see 'wine bars' opening again. Wine sells and they can make money on wine.

The lack of decent places for people who enjoy wine is abysmal.

If wine sells and wine bars make money, how come the place closed down as Trippets in the first place?

People have got wise to the fact that you can buy the same wine in a shop and drink at home for much less money. You can't really do that with real ale or kegged beer unless you have your own cellar. Sure you can drink bottled beer at home but for many it isn't the same. This is why real ale and craft beer bars are the biggest growing sector.

But you don't have to go to them if you don't want to. ;c)

Exactly. Trippet's Wine Bar was a nice, cosy, trendy kind of place, but they didn't really do beer. So I thought that's the bit Dada would change, they did but lost the positive aspects of the old place. I never got used to the daft name either.

There was also the decor which, with the best will in the world was pretty terrible.

Dada always seemed to be trying too hard to be hip.

All the same, it's a shame to see it shut.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

There was also the decor which, with the best will in the world was pretty terrible.

Dada always seemed to be trying too hard to be hip.

All the same, it's a shame to see it shut.

I noticed just a couple of weeks back that it had the old DaDA sign inside removed and the walls painted. Wondered if it was the start of a refit. Now it seems they may have been storing this signage, although for what reason I have no idea.

Must admit I was tempted to go in last Saturday as I somehow guessed it might be one last hurrah. But got distracted by beer in the Bath and Brewdog. Guess that largely sums up the place doesn't it? Sadly.

If wine sells and wine bars make money, how come the place closed down as Trippets in the first place?

People have got wise to the fact that you can buy the same wine in a shop and drink at home for much less money. You can't really do that with real ale or kegged beer unless you have your own cellar. Sure you can drink bottled beer at home but for many it isn't the same. This is why real ale and craft beer bars are the biggest growing sector.

But you don't have to go to them if you don't want to. ;c)

How come it closed down as Dada after a couple of years? Trippets was there for years before.

Not everyone likes real ale or wants to sit in a pub or at home and drink beer. Wine is a massive seller. 20% of all drinks sold in UK is wine.

The trend is for real ale, but I still think wine bars would do well.

I noticed just a couple of weeks back that it had the old DaDA sign inside removed and the walls painted. Wondered if it was the start of a refit. Now it seems they may have been storing this signage, although for what reason I have no idea.

Must admit I was tempted to go in last Saturday as I somehow guessed it might be one last hurrah. But got distracted by beer in the Bath and Brewdog. Guess that largely sums up the place doesn't it? Sadly.

As much as it's not my personal cup of tea (or fizzy beer for that matter), Brewdog Sheffield really did a much better job appealing to Dada's target audience.

Just too many beer-centric pubs offering the same product. Hopefully some of these will wake up and offer something to everybody and not just camra members.

Just too many beer-centric pubs offering the same product. Hopefully some of these will wake up and offer something to everybody and not just camra members.

Dada was bigger on key-keg beers then CAMRA-friendly cask ale! Although much of this was Thornbridge key-keg, which can be found in the other Thornbridge pubs.

However, that leads us back to the competition from Brewdog, who offer more for the key-keg drinker.

Whats a key-keg beer?

My point exactly. Unless you are a real ale enthusiast you don't really care.