Going rate for tiling

:hihi:A good trades man will want a min £120 a day / Any one working for less is a bodger / :hihi: The wars over get real // Take plumbing up anthony tapp they want £200 a day . / but thats the good ones and only turn up if you plead with them .:hihi:

Edited by spider1

I had a look at my kitchen tiling tonight. There is about 5m2 of actual tiles and 6 full tiles in total, every other tile is cut. It took a good tiler 2 days and the patience of a saint.

£400 is too much though, only plumbers get that sort of money. £240 + for 2 days. £120 + for 1

How anyone can say that the geezer who is charging £80 per day is a bodger or a cowboy without seeing his work is truly untrue.

Rudds1 was happy with the finish result so whats the problem?

If the bloke is willing to work for £80 a day and gets it to a professional finish more fool him lol. I wouldn't do it.

Dunno about that GerryB, most established tradesmen charge minimum 120 for a day's work.

Well, I'm a professional decorator and I certainly do [charge more than £120 per day]. Nobody has ever complained. However I don't make a profit on materials, as some tradesmen do. Plus, I pay tax on what I earn, so that there can be policemen and teachers and doctors.

Why people think it's morally OK to pay tradesmen less 'for cash' (i.e. so they can avoid paying tax on it), is beyond me. You wouldn't want your child's teacher not to pay any income tax, would you?

How anyone can say that the geezer who is charging £80 per day is a bodger or a cowboy without seeing his work is truly untrue.

Rudds1 was happy with the finish result so whats the problem?

If the bloke is willing to work for £80 a day and gets it to a professional finish more fool him lol. I wouldn't do it.

Dunno about that GerryB, most established tradesmen charge minimum 120 for a day's work.

You havnt a clue . What do you think happens when he gets half way through a job and its a mess. whos going to pay to put it right. You pay peanuts youll get a monkey. :hihi:

You havnt a clue . What do you think happens when he gets half way through a job and its a mess. whos going to pay to put it right. You pay peanuts youll get a monkey. :hihi:

Spot on. There will be a reason why he only charges £80 and not £200 per day. The guy is not a registered charity.

Going purely on someone's day rate is a bit thick and doesn't determine there quality of work, don't you think spider? (or havnt I got a clue again:hihi:)

Plus its well know that most of the dodgy tradesmen actually well over charge not undercharge.

You carnt tell me that if you got 2 quotes for some work and both of them can provide pic's of previous work, references and seem professional and one quote is 1/3 cheaper you wouldn't go for that quote... Although im pretty sure you are going to say that you would opt for the more expensive quote:roll:.

Regardless of the price the customer should and will go with the person that they feel is most professional and trustworthy.

Going purely on someone's day rate is a bit thick and doesn't determine there quality of work, don't you think spider? (or havnt I got a clue again:hihi:)

Plus its well know that most of the dodgy tradesmen actually well over charge not undercharge.

You carnt tell me that if you got 2 quotes for some work and both of them can provide piceeen 's of previous work, references and seem professional and one quote is 1/3 cheaper you wouldn't go for that quote... Although im pretty sure you are going to say that you would opt for the more expensive quote:roll:.

Regardless of the price the customer should and will go with the person that they feel is most professional and trustworthy.

:hihi: Only ever use trades men that have been recomended or at least had a look at there last job / Had a gypsy last week call at my home and said he would do my ridge tiles for £2000 and make a good job nearly fell on floor laughing../ If you want a job doing ask around for recomendations or even ask on forum for trades./ I am a retired builder by the way and believe me time served trades do not work for £ 80 a day. :hihi: I personally know what a job is worth and can tell in 2 mins a bodger

Edited by spider1

There's no guarantee that paying a lot will avoid getting a monkey..

Someone who can tile

A professional tiler

There is a difference, OP didn't ask for the going rate for someone who can tile, she asked the going rate for a tiler, which in my experience is £120.00 upwards

Someone who can tile

A professional tiler

There is a difference, OP didn't ask for the going rate for someone who can tile, she asked the going rate for a tiler, which in my experience is £120.00 upwards

I agree. I have seen a lot of bad tiling and it upsets me.

It isn't brain surgery, but you do need to be meticulous about everything being level and in the same plane.

Oddly I am really good at floor tiling, but less good at walls. Never been able to work out why I find vertical surfaces harder.

Yes, but £80.00 is too cheap.

Get more quotes if your not happy with the price, but if I was quoted £80.00 alarm bells would ring whether your getting a Jack or a proper tiler.

Does no harm getting a few more quotes.

Chris

Could be a great retired tradesman, looking to top up his pension, cash in hand.