Another barking mad sentence

Maybe he's learned a lesson?

"Yet serious criminals get piddling sentences handed to them"

Referencing too?

Here is one example I posted earlier of a piddling sentence for a despicable crime

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2942717/Good-Samaritan-teenager-left-dead-battered-face-multiple-fractures-beaten-man-stopped-help.html

I know its the guidelines but someone needs to change them as they are silly.

This is the nub of the argument - if you drew up a list of all offences and the range of punishments available, in order of severity, would your average person agree with the order of the list? Possibly not.

There's always going to be anomalies, because punishments are always in a range and always take account of multiple factors.

The other point is that much of this depends on what the law says, not just the guidelines. In relation to football offences, it's obvious that that law was brought in to deal with a perceived particular problem at the time. It comes out of "crack down" culture. Banning "throwing things" doesn't take much account of actual harm caused. It only asks whether there was a good reason to throw the thing ("I had become separated from my friend, who was hungry, so I tossed him an orange").

This is the nub of the argument - if you drew up a list of all offences and the range of punishments available, in order of severity, would your average person agree with the order of the list? Possibly not.

There's always going to be anomalies, because punishments are always in a range and always take account of multiple factors.

The other point is that much of this depends on what the law says, not just the guidelines. In relation to football offences, it's obvious that that law was brought in to deal with a perceived particular problem at the time. It comes out of "crack down" culture. Banning "throwing things" doesn't take much account of actual harm caused. It only asks whether there was a good reason to throw the thing ("I had become separated from my friend, who was hungry, so I tossed him an orange").

You have a point but it also should be about outputs and the amount of time spent on them. For example Police are soon to be asked to impose this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31310685

They have enough on dealing with real criminals not people who like a cigarette in their own car.

Then there is this case that wasted court time and resources, lawyers arnt cheep. Yet could have been resolved by a slap on the wrist.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/tesco-customer-hauled-before-court-5070406

Things are that bad even the Mirror has to class it as weird news.

English sentencing guidelines would seem to suggest a longer sentence, even notwithstanding four months in prison already. But this was under the Scottish system.

I noticed the same as 'Dannyno' - this is the Scottish system. Yeah, its stupid.

The point is, throwing things, with lots of people around, can lead to a serious injury. However stupid it sounds 'its only an orange', he shouldn't have thrown it. He has been made an example of and will hopefully deter people from doing idiotic things like this.