Changing bank/Online statements

I changed my bank last week, after numerous issues with the bank I had been with over 40 years. The changeover went perfectly fine with no hitches. However, I now find that I am denied access to online statements from the old bank.

I received a letter from the old bank saying they had a request from the new bank re changeover but no indication that they would deny me access to my statements up to 4th february, date of changeover. It was only this weekend, when I wanted to check a payment, that I found I was not able to get access.

I will be ringing them tomorrow, but just wondered if this is common practise when changing banks

I would be grateful for other people's experiences

Thanks

I'd have been surprised if you continued to have any online access after your account was closed.

They should probably have advised you to download any data you wished to retain though, before the account was deactivated.

Thanks for your reply cyclone.

I agree, I should have been informed that access would have been denied following closure of my account, but the letter (dated a week before the changeover) gave no indication of this. I would assume that as I had opted for online, rather than paper statements, many years ago, they have no right to withold that information from me. Yet another reason why they don't deserve my loyalty. Looks like I will be contacting the ombudsman yet again!!

Will be interesting to see how they justify it.

You will be sent a final statement (paper) and your latest transactions should be on that.

If you need to know ASAP then pay a visit to the bank but make sure it's the one where you have the account providing it's a high St bank that is.

You will be sent a final statement (paper) and your latest transactions should be on that.

If you need to know ASAP then pay a visit to the bank but make sure it's the one where you have the account providing it's a high St bank that is.

Yep correct. Got mine through the post early this week.

I swapped over to first direct last year after getting fed up with santander, everything went well apart from the fact the payment for my car insurance didn't go out, when I questioned why they said seeing as I paid it from my old card this didn't link up with my bank as a regular payment unlike a direct debit or standing order , still not exactly sure how a regular payment doesn't somehow make it a direct debit or standing order !

P.s first direct are amazing , their staff are so friendly and easy to speak to, they have free phone numbers for mobiles too and answer most calls in seconds with a person not a press 1 for...blah etc.

Thanks Fruit and Nut

I wasn't aware of that as I have never changed banks before. However, there have been times when I have needed to go back over statements from a few years before. I feel that previous transactions are just as much my information as theirs and they don't have any right to withold it.

It really feels like banks have too much power. despite the fact that this is a bank that we as taxpayers bailed out a few years ago. They seem to forget that we as depositers and taxpayers keep then in a job and pay out the ridiculous bonuses they think they are entitltd to.

It now feels like a matter of principle and they are not going to keep information about my money from me

Had they not behaved in such an arrogant manner and implied that they were doing me a favour by letting me put my money there, I would never have contemplated changing banks. However, I now intend to fight this even if it means printing out 10 years of statements!! So much for trying to save the trees and the planet eh?

You seem to be completely misunderstanding the situation. YOU have closed your account and moved to another bank. YOU are no longer a customer registered with them and obviously cannot continue to use their services.

Why on earth would you think you would be able to retain full access to their online systems as and when you choose if you are no longer a customer? As others have said, If you need any copy statements etc you will need to ask for them. Whilst the information was about you it is owned and controlled by the bank. Their transactions. Their systems. Their online service.

Edited by ECCOnoob

You seem to be completely misunderstanding the situation. YOU have closed your account and moved to another bank. YOU are no longer a customer registered with them and obviously cannot continue to use their services.

Why on earth would you think you would be able to retain full access to their online systems as and when you choose if you are no longer a customer? As others have said, If you need any copy statements etc you will need to ask for them. Whilst the information was about you it is owned and controlled by the bank. Their transactions. Their systems. Their online service.

I disagree, part of the bank's remit and legal requirements is to ensure you have access to all data related to your account. That shouldn't change just because someone leaves the bank. In fact, I am fairly sure it would be illegal for them to do so. So they will still have the data, but won't allow the account-holder (Even if the account is 'closed' again, for legal reasons it still exists as an entity) access to it via an online service. You know what that is? Churlish.

I swapped over to first direct last year after getting fed up with santander, everything went well apart from the fact the payment for my car insurance didn't go out, when I questioned why they said seeing as I paid it from my old card this didn't link up with my bank as a regular payment unlike a direct debit or standing order , still not exactly sure how a regular payment doesn't somehow make it a direct debit or standing order !

P.s first direct are amazing , their staff are so friendly and easy to speak to, they have free phone numbers for mobiles too and answer most calls in seconds with a person not a press 1 for...blah etc.

Those (DD and SO) are specific things. If it wasn't one of these, but was a repeating authorisation on your card, then that's how it wasn't one of these...

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 07:31 ----------

Thanks for your reply cyclone.

I agree, I should have been informed that access would have been denied following closure of my account, but the letter (dated a week before the changeover) gave no indication of this. I would assume that as I had opted for online, rather than paper statements, many years ago, they have no right to withold that information from me. Yet another reason why they don't deserve my loyalty. Looks like I will be contacting the ombudsman yet again!!

Will be interesting to see how they justify it.

You weren't really expecting to continue to have access to an online system for a bank of which you are no longer a customer though, right?

If you close your email account at Microsoft, would you expect to continue to get access in order to check your old emails?

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 07:34 ----------

Thanks Fruit and Nut

I wasn't aware of that as I have never changed banks before. However, there have been times when I have needed to go back over statements from a few years before. I feel that previous transactions are just as much my information as theirs and they don't have any right to withold it.

You're making out that they're doing something deliberate to stop you getting the information.

When in reality you are no longer a customer and don't have an account to access with them anymore.

It really feels like banks have too much power. despite the fact that this is a bank that we as taxpayers bailed out a few years ago. They seem to forget that we as depositers and taxpayers keep then in a job and pay out the ridiculous bonuses they think they are entitltd to.

It now feels like a matter of principle and they are not going to keep information about my money from me

No, they're denying you access to their systems because you aren't a customer.

I'd be extremely surprised if they did anything else.

Had they not behaved in such an arrogant manner and implied that they were doing me a favour by letting me put my money there, I would never have contemplated changing banks. However, I now intend to fight this even if it means printing out 10 years of statements!! So much for trying to save the trees and the planet eh?

Obviously it is going to involve paper, you could have probably have downloaded the data electronically before, but now a paper copy will be the only option I expect.

How long did you expect to have access to their online systems for once you stopped being a customer? Where else have you ever found that this happens?

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 07:35 ----------

I disagree, part of the bank's remit and legal requirements is to ensure you have access to all data related to your account. That shouldn't change just because someone leaves the bank.

They don't HAVE an account to have access to.

In fact, I am fairly sure it would be illegal for them to do so. So they will still have the data, but won't allow the account-holder (Even if the account is 'closed' again, for legal reasons it still exists as an entity) access to it via an online service. You know what that is? Churlish.

No, that's pretty normal, common sense and exactly what most people would expect I think.

They don't HAVE an account to have access to.

No, that's pretty normal, common sense and exactly what most people would expect I think.

All data related to the account they HAD, has to be kept accessible for a set number of years (I can't remember how long) for accounting reasons. The online-access costs the bank next to nothing, certainly less than having a customer come to the counter each time they need information pertaining to the closed account.

Ergo, closing online access is churlish. The only reason to do it, is to frustrate the ex-customer.

The information needs to be kept for legal reasons, but is there any requirement to make it accessible to the ex customer? Except through the regulatory Data Protection mechanism?

Not closing the online account of someone who isn't a customer would be a huge security risk IMO. Leaving as a customer IMO means no longer having access to the services that the bank provides, including online access to accounts, this seems obvious to me, I wouldn't expect any ongoing access to any online account for any organisation after I stopped being a customer.