Shops at Sheff Lane Top

OP, if you have a scanner you can can put your photo onto photobucket I think and then download it onto here

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 07:11 ----------

I used to love going to Mrs Knights shop with my mum and grandma, she had all these little wooden cabinets full of underwear and stockings. She was a lovely lady too.

Hiya Lakerman, if its anything like this photo, judging by the tram timelne on Wiki.... this may be April 1960. This would be about the same period of the photo of you and me on our back step. :hihi::hihi:

Hi Andy, You have hit the nail on the head. The photo you have posted is the same one as I have but for some reason my photo has been halved and the tram is not on it. There are only the two shops plus people. So thanks for that mate. I would agree with your guess at 1960 ( 1959/60). Thanks also to Hillsboro and beechnut for their interest and input. In fact thanks to all who showed an interest

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 13:40 ----------

Andy, just looked at the photo again. The tram is full of passengers and it says Special on the destination indicator. I wonder what that was all about?

The Vauxhall Wyvern/ Velox in the background of THIS pic, would date it to mid 50's (ish). The Surf advert with the giraffe campaign may be more accurate but I can't find any reference to it. I'm curious about the ad next to it..

----------

Supurb Picture handypandy keep them rolling in. :|:thumbsup:

Andy, just looked at the photo again. The tram is full of passengers and it says Special on the destination indicator. I wonder what that was all about?

Just a guess, but it may have been the last tram journey on that route, hence the reason for the photo. Other routes apparently did the same.

Yes, the "special" tram journey could well have been concerned with the closure of the route. According to my book The Tramway Era in Sheffield the last day of the Sheffield Lane Top - Meadowhead service was Sunday 3 April 1960.

I only remember one Newsagents in the 60s and that was the Rendezvous, which was below Brookshaws Garage. Where the Iceland is now.

was there not a green grocers there once some years ago

Yes, there was a greengrocers shop there in the 1970's. The lady who ran it was called 'Greta'.

I have a picture of Sheffield Lane top which I am trying to identify the year. There are two shops on the photo. The first one is of the old Co-op ( which was there for quite a few years) next door is a shop with the name M.JOHNSTON over the door. I don't know what this shop sold but can anyone enlighten me as to when it could have been? ( this shop is now an electronic ciggy shop). Not a lot to go on but someone might know.

The shop you are talking about was M.Johnston. Newsagents. I was a newspaper boy for him from about 1962-1965, I can remember this shop being owned by Mr Johnston from the mid 50s but not sure before that. The other shops at lane top were butchers shop, co-op, M Johnstons, fruit shop, K Knights woolen shop, then across the road was Credlands garage, Rendezvous newsagents, Chemist shop, Fruit shop, Bank, so there was 2 fruit shops and 2 Newsagents

Edited by ROBMASS