Smallest Church in Sheffield

It's welcoming a child to the church community, a community which the OP is eager to avoid by the looks of it. Hence my question.

Ok, I am not sure why you feel that you have to try and question my motives? I was really just looking for an answer to my question, but seeing as you feel the need to make your own assumptions - yes I am looking for a new church community. A small group of likeminded people, is that a bad thing? I don't think so, is it a topic for you to speculate on? I don't think so either, so can we please stick to the original topic rather than wild speculation and gossip about posts.

Thanks to people that have been helpful with posts and PM's on this topic. I do really appreciate it.

You don't need to fill a church, thats not what it's about.

Have you talked to your local church, have you looked for one you like??

Does it operate like weddings? Where you have to live near the church for them to bother doing anything for you??

I don't go to many christenings but the last two I went to were tagged on the end of a regular Sunday service. The other was in a practically empty church. They don't get the numbers weddings get.

Ours were baptised at quite a big church but the baptismal font was in a separate enclosed small area of the church maybe with space for 30 people Max. This was in another country though but thing is you can't assume that the big churches won't have a separate smaller area for this - have a look around.

@Stopnsmile - there is one little church that would be absolutely ideal for your circumstances but it is not in Sheffield. It is the Chapel on the Bridge in Rotherham. More pictures here. I do not know if they would christen a baby from out of area but if you are interested and willing to travel it might be worth asking. It is a beautiful building and interior. The Chapel is open each Tuesday morning at 11am for Communion.

Edited by Jomie

@Stopnsmile - there is one little church that would be absolutely ideal for your circumstances but it is not in Sheffield. It is the Chapel on the Bridge in Rotherham. More pictures here. I do not know if they would christen a baby from out of area but if you are interested and willing to travel it might be worth asking. It is a beautiful building and interior. The Chapel is open each Tuesday morning at 11am for Communion.

What a fantastic idea. The Chapel is gorgeous and one of only 4 remaining of its kind in the country.

Another thought - some of the big Churches and the Cathedral will have smaller chapels within them eg at the side of the main hall

I was really just looking for an answer to my question, but seeing as you feel the need to make your own assumptions - yes I am looking for a new church community.

Well, you didn't ask about the community, or trying to find like minded people.

I can see I've touched a nerve so I'll leave this thread now. Good luck in finding what you want.

As you are looking for a church community it might be worth thinking about which is more important to you - the building or the community. If it is the latter then your local church might fit the bill, especially if it has christening services added on to the Sunday worship. In this way, you and your baby perhaps could be welcomed into the congregation, especially if you specifically ask for members to join you. Being baptised at the local church possibly gives the child a feeling of identity with that particular area, even if they move at a later date. Hopefully it will be a lovely baptism service, wherever you may choose to hold it.

there is a little 14th century church in Midhopestones nr Stocksbridge......christened my son there 30 years ago......

As you are looking for a church community it might be worth thinking about which is more important to you - the building or the community. If it is the latter then your local church might fit the bill, especially if it has christening services added on to the Sunday worship. In this way, you and your baby perhaps could be welcomed into the congregation, especially if you specifically ask for members to join you. Being baptised at the local church possibly gives the child a feeling of identity with that particular area, even if they move at a later date. Hopefully it will be a lovely baptism service, wherever you may choose to hold it.

I agree i think most vicars and priests these days dont do individual baptisms but as part of the Sunday service and that way the child is welcomed into the church community I started going to church so i could have my babies baptised and it took me 6 months before i dared to ask I felt that i needed to show my commitment to the church and God before having them baptised and i am so glad i did as I was made very welcome and have continued to attend church regularly and my children had an amazing time with all the social activities it offered as well as moral and spiritual guidance.

Its nice to have a nice venue but nicer to have the love and support of all the church community

there is a little 14th century church in Midhopestones nr Stocksbridge......christened my son there 30 years ago......

I was just about to post the same, it is called St James’ and it's tiny but gorgeous. There is the Mustard Pot pub nearby as well that might be useful for a meal/drinks afterwards too.

No idea if it's like a working Church though.