Car revving very high before responding

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 renault megane 1.9 diesel dynamique. When driving today when I put my foot down on the accelerator, there was no real response but the revs went very high for a few seconds before then responding. Definately not happened before and just wondered if anyone had any idea what it might be?

Thanks in advance

Rikki

What do you mean response??

As in you went to over-take/accelerate while driving, and the revs rose but the car did not overtake?? Thats a sign of a worn clutch.

What do you mean response??

As in you went to over-take/accelerate while driving, and the revs rose but the car did not overtake?? Thats a sign of a worn clutch.

Or losing a bit of traction on an icy road?

Or losing a bit of traction on an icy road?

:huh:

If it's front wheel drive it could be because there are too many passengers in the back seat... ;)

If it's front wheel drive it could be because there are too many passengers in the back seat... ;)

Don't start that one again :D

By respond I mean wanting to accelerate to get up to the speed limit. When I set off it was fine but in second and third gear it just didn't seem to want to pull at first. After the few seconds the car accelerated as normal. My initial thought was that it might be the clutch but I'm no mechanic so I thought I would seek a second opinion.

I have a megane 2006 1.4. A while back I had revving on idle and juddering on acceleration issues (especially from hill starts), took it to various garages with no luck as it didn’t trigger a code on the computer to pull up a warning light. Anyway finally found someone who knew what they were doing and it turned out to be a combination of one of the coil packs going and the throttle housing needing to be replaced (apparently very common with meganes). I thought all was well but since then the juddering returned and I noticed I had a coolant leak. Turned out to be yet another coil pack and a leaky water pump – also had the timing belt changed at the same time as it was well over due and apparently just in time as well – so if yours is 5 years or 70000 miles since last timing belt change maybe another thing to consider.

Take my advice and get rid asap

Edited by KidPhunk

IT has to be either the clutch slipping or the roadwheels slipping.

It was icy this morning. If it's not done it since, I suspect you found an icy stretch.

:hihi: Needs winter tyres :D

:hihi: Needs winter tyres :D

[xt500] what a waste of money [/xt500] :hihi:

I have a megane 2006 1.4. A while back I had revving on idle and juddering on acceleration issues (especially from hill starts), took it to various garages with no luck as it didn’t trigger a code on the computer to pull up a warning light. Anyway finally found someone who knew what they were doing and it turned out to be a combination of one of the coil packs going and the throttle housing needing to be replaced (apparently very common with meganes). I thought all was well but since then the juddering returned and I noticed I had a coolant leak. Turned out to be yet another coil pack and a leaky water pump – also had the timing belt changed at the same time as it was well over due and apparently just in time as well – so if yours is 5 years or 70000 miles since last timing belt change maybe another thing to consider.

Take my advice and get rid asap

with those problems you wouldn't get the sudden rise in revs like the OP explained tho, because those issues would prevent the engine from revving correctly.

The OP is (I think) saying they plant their foot on the gas, the engine revs it's nuts off but the car doesn't actually go anywhere.

Thanks for the replies everyone. There was a couple of other faults with the car so I just got rid of it. wasn't worth the hassle and cost in fixing everything. I got a friend to have a look and it did seem the clutch was ready for going.