People's reaction to rape allegations

To be asking that question in the first place, I really don't think people have a real grasp of the stats AT ALL.

https://rainn.org/news-room/97-of-every-100-rapists-receive-no-punishment

97% of rapists walk free - We should be protecting the rights of the victims.

False claims are so miniscule, they're a tiny blip on the radar

Solomon, I do know the stats but you are totally misrepresenting them. You have no way of knowing whether the guy charged with rape who is found not guilty was actually a rapist or not. Only him and the victim can ever know the 'truth'. All the court does is weigh up probabilities of whose story is more likely to be believed.

I'm someone who rapist was never charged due to a lack of evidence, so I have some emotional involvement here, yet I'm trying to look at this rationally and saying 97% of rapists walk free is frankly damaging your otherwise valid argument.

...................All the court does is weigh up probabilities of whose story is more likely to be believed.

Reply 49 = SgtKate - .........In UK law you have to prove guilt beyond (*all) reasonable doubt, as it should be,...

?????????????????????????

The burden of proof is as you said yesterday. (Reply 47) *plus the 'all' which I have inserted.

In Scotland they say 'Not Proven' in England & Wales its 'Not Guilty'(as charged) or the often said 'Innocent of the charge'. We all know that offenders get off with it through lying through their teeth and/or the fine print in the law.

Interesting decision of the appeal court t'other day. Ched Evans has had one of his defences closed off with that one. Does that mean that drunken people can never consent to sex?

Interesting decision of the appeal court t'other day. Ched Evans has had one of his defences closed off with that one. Does that mean that drunken people can never consent to sex?

Would you have sex with a drunk?

Reply 49 = SgtKate - .........In UK law you have to prove guilt beyond (*all) reasonable doubt, as it should be,...

?????????????????????????

The burden of proof is as you said yesterday. (Reply 47) *plus the 'all' which I have inserted.

I was trying to imply that the jury will weigh up the evidence and then make an evaluation based on probabilities of what has been shown to them. Poorly worded I accept.

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 11:41 ----------

Technically no, a drunk person cannot consent. However, in law there is implied consent, roughly meaning would *most* people in the same situation have valid reason to believe that consent had been granted or would have ben granted had the person been sober. This is what makes it so difficult to charge rape between a married couple, as it could almost always be claimed that the husband (or wife) had a reasonable held belief they had consent.

In the Ched Evans case, the girl met up with another man after leaving a club and she went to a hotel with him. Now with no knowledge of the conversation that went on between them it could be implied that a girl going back to a hotel room with a man she has met up with *could* give that man a reasonably held belief of consent. When Ched turns up, again not taking account of any conversations had here, it could not be implied that he consent as there would be no reason for a normal person to assume that they can arrive at a hotel and sleep with someone who they have never met before. As I say, none of us on this forum KNOW what was said, done, implied at the time and neither can a jury so they have to decide based upon the probabilities and evidence presented. It is this difference that allowed the first man to be found 'not guilty' and Ched to be found guilty.

I do not blame people in the slightest for not coming forward at the time.

It was only around 10 or years ago I was s.assaulted [Not PIV, not rape], as a minor, by a older male. Skipping details, this was spoken about at the time, and the advice given by a school Councillor to me and my parents was not to try and pursue it, because it was word against word and lawyers would make mince meat of me. Can you imagine someone being advised not to go to the police these days?

That was the attitude towards these things at the time. While no one said outright there was unspoken looks you know people were thinking you were probably asking for it - I have no doubt social attitudes at the time had more to do why no one battered a eyelid at what was happening in Rotherham. Hell, there used to be creeps in cars outside the high schools and everyone, police, community, teachers all knew what they were doing, and everyone knew what people thought of the girls who got in, grooming wasn't really a understood concept like it is now.

Now days people would probably mob them but that's how times change. While lawfully it might have always been wrong, society put a air of normality on it. If it happened today I would have some chance of justice but it would be a terrible insult to be labeled as a liar because it couldn't be proved beyond reasonable doubt to people that were not there.

Of course, some will be false accusations for one reason or another. It's a sensitive topic, because the impact on both parties will be great no matter what actually happened. Clearer laws would help, but at the same time it would restrict our sexual freedom. There is no way forward in these issues without compromising some people.

Edited by Nem88

That was the attitude towards these things at the time. While no one said outright there was unspoken looks you know people were thinking you were probably asking for it - I have no doubt social attitudes at the time had more to do why no one battered a eyelid at what was happening in Rotherham. Hell, there used to be creeps in cars outside the high schools and everyone, police, community, teachers all knew what they were doing, and everyone knew what people thought of the girls who got in, grooming wasn't really a understood concept like it is now.

It would seem worryingly 1 in 4 still believe victims are to blame if the ONS is to be believed.

Now days people would probably mob them but that's how times change

Frighteningly 1 in 4 are just as likely to mob the victim given a chance.

saying 97% of rapists walk free is frankly damaging your otherwise valid argument

Just in case you didn't see the link for that stat

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 20:12 ----------

Like I've already said in the title of this thread, people's reaction to rape allegations still astounds me.

I know 10 women who have been raped, never brought charges and this is true for the majority of rape cases.

Yet where is people's focus?

On discrediting the victims that do come forward.

And what is the most disturbing, is that it appears to be other women...:huh:

Go figure

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 20:19 ----------

There is no way forward in these issues without compromising some people

You can't make an omelette, without breaking some eggs

Why are people focussing on the 0.01% of men, instead of the 99.99% of women?

Do you have any answers for that?

Because I really don't.

Disturbing and frankly retarded

Edited by Solomon1

Soloman is quoting

RAINN = Rape Abuse & Incest National network

RAINN: The nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization.

One of “America’s 100 Best Charities" —Worth magazine.

Not independent.

Not about British people.

Only 46% ever get looked at by (American) Police personnel.

Only 9% ever get considered by an (American) Court.

Does anyone accept these figures as worth quoting, about the British, without reservation?

Oh yeah -

For those of us who like stats it appears that American rapists only ever do one rape as 100 rapes = 100 rapists

Edited by Flanker7

Soloman is quoting

Solomon is quoting

---------- Post added 14-02-2015 at 13:17 ----------

"No-one has the right to violate someone else"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU6aIDFAH2o

---------- Post added 14-02-2015 at 18:20 ----------

America's dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUN68HHA4pw

---------- Post added 21-02-2015 at 00:49 ----------

I will not live in silence anymore

Edited by Solomon1