People's reaction to rape allegations

if the alleged perpetrater can be named so shouldso should the alleged victim.

If a named rapist for what ever reason decides to turn him/herself into the police for a crime he/she committed 30 yrs ago, should the alleged victim be named?

Hi everyone :)

Have always found people's reaction to rape allegations, especially against celebrities, quite astounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZrBH19TWeo

Bill Cosby has now 33 accusers, and still there are people who will support him till their last breath.

Why?

In Bill's case, he was our universal father. We grew up with him. He was kind, caring, funny and sensitive. How can these stories fit with what we thought we knew of him?

Well they can't. So some people will just denounce them (cognitive dissonance) in order to carry on with their rose-tinted view of both him and their world.

I feel so very sick to my stomach for what all of these poor people have been through in the first place....and then the media backlash afterwards...

It's just plain wrong :shakes:

What do you think?

Love

As Always

Sol

:)

To be fair, whilst it's an allegation, it's not proven is it. So it would be a little premature to form any opinion on the basis of it.

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 13:04 ----------

I am with you on this. Obviously rape and other serious crimes need to be investigated and justice needs to be done.

However, I would have no idea how I would defend myself in this situation. If my defence relied on my recollection of my actions on say November the 3rd last year, I wouldn't know.

Now if the allegations were made at the time, the day would obviously stick in my mind. However, if the coppers knocked on my door today and accused me of say Armed Robbery, I would have no alibi for this day in November as I can't remember it.

Anyone know what happens if the defendant can't remember the day?

They have to prove that you did it, you don't have to prove that you didn't. So not remembering the day won't matter unless they have some evidence that you did it.

Have always found people's reaction to rape allegations, especially against celebrities, quite astounding.

The problem is there have been many false alegations, very public ones that have been to court and found to be baseless.

The two fellas from Corrie for example, both found innocent of all charges in court.

It really muddys the water when people start making false claims, was it malicious or are they after money??

Either way it's sick.

If a named rapist for what ever reason decides to turn him/herself into the police for a crime he/she committed 30 yrs ago, should the alleged victim be named?

Hmmm:loopy:

People don't want to accept that their idol growing up wasn't quite as great as they thought so they become ignorant to the truth (or not the truth depending on the verdict)

Edited by JadenS
typo

If found guilty then name them, if found not guilty then name the claimant.

Hmmm:loopy:

To difficult to answer?

To difficult to answer?

Not at all, in that case the rapist has admitted guilt, my point is that they name the alleged rapist on being charged.

If found guilty then name them, if found not guilty then name the claimant.

Not so easy DN.

Cases found not guilty many years ago have since been proven by new science.

DNA samples found at a crime today may be 'No Trace' until the offender gets caught in the future and has to give a sample which provides a link to earlier crime(s).

I prefer the the Scottish verdict of 'Not Proven'.

It is said that it is better for 100 guilty people to go free than 1 innocent person to be found guilty. There are plenty walking around free today that prove this.

Interesting that people should turn on the abuse victims, rather than the perpetrators

This is exactly what I'm talking about Mr M

I find it very difficult to deal with, in the face of obvious suffering

Trying to break down the reasons for it...and draw people's awareness to the fact that they are being hideously unfair to people who have been brutalised - just to preserve their peace of mind

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 19:24 ----------

The problem that I have with these rape(and lesser crimes) is that they were committed a long time ago

I agree it becomes very difficult to prove

But Cosby is guilty in my mind

Without a shadow of a doubt

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 19:25 ----------

Why?

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 19:26 ----------

To be fair, whilst it's an allegation, it's not proven is it. So it would be a little premature to form any opinion on the basis of it

For a soul-less robot, perhaps ;)

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 19:30 ----------

The problem is there have been many false alegations, very public ones that have been to court and found to be baseless

And how many millions of people are raped and molested without anyone ever knowing

Out of every 100 rapes, 2 make it to court

I think I would be more on the side of victims, statistically

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 19:32 ----------

I don't think so, there's no need

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 19:34 ----------

Not at all, in that case the rapist has admitted guilt, my point is that they name the alleged rapist on being charged.

Rather than before it's all gone to court you mean?

Most rapists get off scott free, so I'm probably in favour of naming them

Mud sticks an all...

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 19:37 ----------

It is said that it is better for 100 guilty people to go free than 1 innocent person to be found guilty

Who says?

And this appears to be our current system.

The percentage of rapists walking free, instead of being banged up is about 90%

Edited by Solomon1

Most rapists get off scott free, so I'm probably in favour of naming them

Mud sticks an all...

But why would you name someone that has not commited an offence, and being found unproven in court?