People's reaction to rape allegations

If you have been abused in the past (IT NEVER GOES AWAY).................

happened to me aged 10, brothers best friend, did not report it for sake of family, if I had gotten pregnant I would have to have told, luckily I didn't so

no one hurt but me .have kept that secret 68yrs,

---------- Post added 17-04-2015 at 01:14 ----------

never forgotten it though

Being abused as a child wrecked my life until I finally 'came clean' and told my family. They were 100% supportive and I love them for it. I also got a short series of counselling which also helped.

But make no mistake, it hasn't gone away and I'm sure that is the same for others. No matter what face a person presents to the world they are still hurting inside. My abuser was never charged with offences against me (because I never told anyone) but was jailed for others.

I often wonder how much more it would have helped me if I had accused him and he had to face the consequences.

Soloman is quoting

RAINN = Rape Abuse & Incest National network

RAINN: The nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization.

One of “America’s 100 Best Charities" —Worth magazine.

Not independent.

Not about British people.

Only 46% ever get looked at by (American) Police personnel.

Only 9% ever get considered by an (American) Court.

Does anyone accept these figures as worth quoting, about the British, without reservation?

Oh yeah -

For those of us who like stats it appears that American rapists only ever do one rape as 100 rapes = 100 rapists

I believe statistics in the US are similar to those of the UK.

In the UK. out of almost 100,000 rapes reported, convictions were successful in only 1,070 cases. this is frightening, as one in five women have been sexually assaulted or raped and approximately 9,000 men are raped each year.

this is a good graphic to explain the numbers of people raped each year, the number of prosecutions and the number of convictions, and the number of falsely accused. (published January 2013)

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/08/truth-about-false-accusation-of-rape-visualised

In the UK. out of almost 100,000 rapes reported, convictions were successful in only 1,070 cases. this is frightening, as one in five women have been sexually assaulted or raped and approximately 9,000 men are raped each year.

But remember that not every report suffices for a Court case; and not every Court case discloses evidence sufficient for conviction.

I followed the link included in Plain Talker's last message.

All American stuff again AND massively criticised as inaccurate in links from the article. So much so that I felt that the article was about bad stats and whilst being sympathetic on the subject of rape it was critical of the damage done by this kind of presentation.

I agree - point proved - stop wasting our time.

I believe statistics in the US are similar to those of the UK.

this is a good graphic to explain the numbers of people raped each year, the number of prosecutions and the number of convictions, and the number of falsely accused. (published January 2013)

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/08/truth-about-false-accusation-of-rape-visualised

Thanks for this PT

I saw this graphic a while back - and it certainly reflects my own experience of talking to victims

Rape is a HUGE issue. Which seems to be part of the problem - it is SO vast, people cannot actually fathom how often it is happening, and that they are likely to know perpetrators. Usual cognitive dissonance stuff.

Difficult

---------- Post added 20-04-2015 at 16:39 ----------

I liken it to the use of prostitutes. Who are the men that use these poor creatures? Obviously they are all out there - fathers, brothers, sons - but no-one really thinks about it too much.

Just like the perpetrators of rape

Its a really tricky topic

Amy Schumer - worth a watch:

To be fair, whilst it's an allegation, it's not proven is it. So it would be a little premature to form any opinion on the basis of it.

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 13:04 ----------

They have to prove that you did it, you don't have to prove that you didn't. So not remembering the day won't matter unless they have some evidence that you did it.

It would help if you knew what you was doing at the time.

An alibi can prove you are innocent.

You are accused of raping someone yesterday, you know that at the time of the rape you was having dinner with friends in a busy restaurant, the police can check your alibi to determine if it is true or false.

You are accused of raping someone 30 years ago, you have no idea what you was doing at the time, but you could have been having dinner with friends in a busy restaurant or having sex with the accuser but have no memory of the event because it was one of many unmemorable one night stands.

--- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Gardens work

Totally agree!

Dude, stop being an embarrassment to the male race

Seriously

Wake up and smell the goddamned effin roses man

Rape is a MALE issue

Because most rapists are MEN

Stop whining about the 0.001%

And focus on the other 99.999%

Where's your head at? :shakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdoh33D4TYY

---------- Post added 19-07-2015 at 00:16 ----------

I guess what I'm trying to say here

Is if you REALLY care about injustice

Look at the iceberg

Not at the penguin on top

It would help if you knew what you was doing at the time.

It would, but the accuser has to prove the accusation. A court will not convict on "he did it", even if the accused is a serial abuser.

could have been having sex with the accuser but have no memory of the event because it was one of many unmemorable one night stands.

Would that be conveniently 'unmemorable' now because the past has caught up ? Memory loss isn't a defense to an offence.