Agreed

But most rapists are men

And the vast majority get away with it

What is your point Kelly?

Agreed

But most rapists are men

Of course they are! That is undisputable. We as rational people know when something is wrong, and if a female has been attacked, then evidence needs to be preserved without haste. To me, that is why a percentage of rapists are not convicted. And until they are brought to justice, they remain normal people. If, god forbid it was me, I wouldn't leave such a heinous crime for weeks, worried about consequence. I would want the swine to be brought to justice asap. Yes, I understand not all women are this emotionally strong, but if they can speak about it weeks/months/years after the horse has bolted, they cannot be that naïve to not know the chances of a conviction are slim. Yes, that percentage of uncaptured rapist scum are bar-stewards, but they cannot be categorised as a figure until more women stand up for themselves, and speak out. Historical cases are harder to prove.

Of course they are! That is undisputable. We as rational people know when something is wrong, and if a female has been attacked, then evidence needs to be preserved without haste. To me, that is why a percentage of rapists are not convicted. And until they are brought to justice, they remain normal people. If, god forbid it was me, I wouldn't leave such a heinous crime for weeks, worried about consequence. I would want the swine to be brought to justice asap. Yes, I understand not all women are this emotionally strong, but if they can speak about it weeks/months/years after the horse has bolted, they cannot be that naïve to not know the chances of a conviction are slim. Yes, that percentage of uncaptured rapist scum are bar-stewards, but they cannot be categorised as a figure until more women stand up for themselves, and speak out. Historical cases are harder to prove.

Actually, unless you actually endure something like rape or sexual assault, kelly, i think you'll find that you dont know how you will react, until it happens.

Everyone has bravado, before something as horrible as this happens, saying, "Oh, yes I'd kick him in the b*ll*cks and/ or gouge him in the eye..." Etc etc, never anticipating that you may well freeze, in shock and fear when it actually happens... Or maybe you *can* fight back, but the rapist overpowers you, and is provoked by your fight to beat you more severely, or even kill you.

I witnessed a court case for rape a few years back. The case was lost because the prosecution alleged it was consensual sex as the woman (who was paralysed with fear) did not supposedly put up a struggle.

According to the learned pig for the defence, she should have "fought for her honour, fought for her life"

It was disgusting, an utter travesty.

Not everyone has the wherewithal, or the presence of mind to go straight to the police, for example, I, personally, could think of nothing but getting home, and dousing myself in dettol, repeatedly, to get the smell and the sensation of my attacker off me. I was also treated in a horrendously callous mannerby the doctor who examined me later. I was not even given the courtesy of being examined by a female doctor, despite asking for one, so it was like being attacked, all over again in the examination.

There are as many different reactions to being raped, as there are people who have been raped. No two attacks, or attacked people, are the same. Even if it is the same rapist, using the same MO.

Agreed

But most rapists are men

I think it is quite obvious what her point is

You and Plain Talker are posting garbage!

While you may have some very good and valid points, your posts fall down when you start claiming stupid figures like 90% of rapists are walking free.

It is impossible to calculate that figure.

Also your inability to accept that someone who is cleared of rape, in your eyes is not innocent, but a rapist not yet proven guilty.

Typical of people who have their head so far in a place that they point blank refuse to believe they can ever be wrong!

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 06:35 ----------

To difficult to answer?

Too stupid to warrant an answer.

Say's who?

It should be easy enough to compare conviction rates per capita with a study of self reported rape. Where there's no benefit to lying or exaggerating.

That would give you some fairly decent figures to compare the number of rapes self reported in confidence (in the study), the number of complaints to the police and the number of convictions.

If you have been abused in the past (IT NEVER GOES AWAY).................

I was accused of rape about 20 years ago, it was just talk amongst the ladies, it never got put to the police.

I never even had sex with the woman.

if they can speak about it weeks/months/years after the horse has bolted, they cannot be that naïve to not know the chances of a conviction are slim

With all due respect Kelly. I would ask you to be mindful of the way that you speak on this topic. We live in a victim-blaming society where victims of rape very rarely get the respect, care or justice that they deserve.

Slowly we see the limelight being turned on the rapists and away from the victims and this is to be applauded and encouraged.

I am assuming that you have had little/ no contact with rape victims, or as you are a woman yourself, I would have expected more sensitivity.

I personally know four females raped by their fathers. None have ever brought charges.

I personally know two females raped by strangers, one in a public toilet when she was 16 and one on a public footpath at university. Both were too traumatised to talk about it, until many years after their encounters.

I personally know a female who was raped by a teacher at school as a teenager and now has schizophrenia as an adult, as a result of this attack. She never brought charges as she felt that somehow it was her fault.

People have a tendency to confide in me. These stories were told to me when these people felt safe enough to volunteer the information, knowing that I would not judge or blame them.

Don't judge or blame them Kelly. They've suffered enough already.

Yes, that percentage of uncaptured rapist scum are bar-stewards, but they cannot be categorised as a figure

Easily estimated - and from my experience alone, it's 100%

Edited by Solomon1

100% of what? 100% scum, obviously. 100% of men, clearly not.

To be fair, whilst it's an allegation, it's not proven is it. So it would be a little premature to form any opinion on the basis of it.

They have to prove that you did it, you don't have to prove that you didn't. So not remembering the day won't matter unless they have some evidence that you did it.

Cyclone, 9th Feb- "It should be easy enough to compare conviction rates per capita with a study of self reported rape. Where there's no benefit to lying or exaggerating."

Interesting shift in your opinion of the level of proof required to convince you. Look at your own posts, all very smart but whats the point, pedant.

Solomon speaks of the 'limelight' switching from the victims to the offenders. That's part of the problem, it's the celebrity society driven by the media, we see both categories fawned upon every day. Whole cities have taken on the mantle, Liverpool, and no-one dare ask the tough questions or examine the behaviour of the interviewee, in a critical way. When cases get to court a whole different, horrible, experience opens up.

Rape is usually one on one so it is often one word against the other. All this 'expressed permission' being sought and given is only tinkering with the periphery of the offence and easy to allege or refute. A rapist is usually known by the victim and forensic evidence is often negated.

I'm sorry if this offends but it's the reality.

100% of what? 100% scum, obviously. 100% of men, clearly not

100% of the men who raped my friends - are 'uncaptured rapist scum'

---------- Post added 10-02-2015 at 21:13 ----------

Whole cities have taken on the mantle, Liverpool, and no-one dare ask the tough questions or examine the behaviour of the interviewee, in a critical way

Could you explain this sentence to me please Flanker

"Solomon speaks of the 'limelight' switching from the victims to the offenders. That's part of the problem, it's the celebrity society driven by the media, we see both categories fawned upon every day. Whole cities have taken on the mantle, Liverpool, and no-one dare ask the tough questions or examine the behaviour of the interviewee, in a critical way. When cases get to court a whole different, horrible, experience opens up..................

I'm sorry if this offends but it's the reality."

To expand a bit - please note my final remark.

Celebrity Society = We are becoming defined by our appeal to the media. Media appeal is sensational and voyeuristic and many people see any exposure on the media as a good thing - fame - even if only for 15 minutes. But it doesn't do any good for the individual to be defined by their victimisation. It becomes their defining characteristic and they can't be criticised, in any way. Offenders and/or previous offenders also get their ego boosted by the same media attention, and they are treated with kid gloves not shown to be the scum they really are.

Liverpool for example in relation to the Hillsborough Disaster. And I am nervous here because of the massive backlash in relation to anything that can be interpreted as critical of their fans. They revel in their loss and many have lost all sense of proportion. Yes there were massive mistakes by the authorities which must be put right. But, first things first - the victims were squashed and killed by bodily pressure from behind them. I've probably said too much even with this vague comment.

Edited by Flanker7

But it doesn't do any good for the individual to be defined by their victimisation. It becomes their defining characteristic and they can't be criticised, in any way

Example please?

Offenders and/or previous offenders also get their ego boosted by the same media attention, and they are treated with kid gloves not shown to be the scum they really are

Well this certainly appears to be the case with Cosby