People's reaction to rape allegations

Hi everyone :)

Have always found people's reaction to rape allegations, especially against celebrities, quite astounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZrBH19TWeo

Bill Cosby has now 33 accusers, and still there are people who will support him till their last breath.

Why?

In Bill's case, he was our universal father. We grew up with him. He was kind, caring, funny and sensitive. How can these stories fit with what we thought we knew of him?

Well they can't. So some people will just denounce them (cognitive dissonance) in order to carry on with their rose-tinted view of both him and their world.

I feel so very sick to my stomach for what all of these poor people have been through in the first place....and then the media backlash afterwards...

It's just plain wrong :shakes:

What do you think?

Love

As Always

Sol

:)

Then there are thick/imbalanced slappers who marry jailed rapists...in jail? :loopy:

Have always found people's reaction to rape allegations, especially against celebrities, quite astounding.

Bill Cosby has now 33 accusers, and still there are people who will support him till their last breath.

Why?

In Bill's case, he was our universal father. We grew up with him. He was kind, caring, funny and sensitive. How can these stories fit with what we thought we knew of him?

Well they can't. So some people will just denounce them (cognitive dissonance) in order to carry on with their rose-tinted view of both him and their world.

I feel so very sick to my stomach for what all of these poor people have been through in the first place....and then the media backlash afterwards...

What do you think?

Love

As Always

Sol

I think I'll wait until the jury decides. That'll do for me.

I must admit to thinking initially that the allegations against Rolf Harris were malicious. Why?

He was a hero whilst I was growing up, I saw him at the Sheaf Valley baths when he opened it with the painting he did.

He was on lots of kids shows, in the charts then went quiet for a while. He then came back with Animal Hospital and gained lots more fans.

Once the evidence started growing with regards his offences it became obvious he was not the person his tv persona purported and I turned my back on him.

Then there are thick/imbalanced slappers who marry jailed rapists...in jail? :loopy:

There's a whole psychology behind this, you know this right? If he's in jail, at least they know where he is :hihi:

---------- Post added 05-02-2015 at 21:17 ----------

I think I'll wait until the jury decides. That'll do for me

How do you explain 33 women, with almost the exact same story of drugging and rape?

---------- Post added 05-02-2015 at 21:19 ----------

I must admit to thinking initially that the allegations against Rolf Harris were malicious. Why?

He was a hero whilst I was growing up, I saw him at the Sheaf Valley baths when he opened it with the painting he did.

He was on lots of kids shows, in the charts then went quiet for a while. He then came back with Animal Hospital and gained lots more fans.

Once the evidence started growing with regards his offences it became obvious he was not the person his tv persona purported and I turned my back on him.

It's completely natural, because it's not what we know.

I felt like the same way about Michael Jackson, Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris!

But however uncomfortable it makes me feel, and however strong my loyalties may be, I'm completely 100% on the side of the victims, in the Cosby case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLnxccZST_Q

Edited by Solomon1

Why?

What do you think?

Love

As Always

Sol

I think you've made some excellent points.

Shortly after the whole Jimmy Savile & Rolf Harris scandal emerged, I was reading an interesting article in either the Independent or the Guardian about the media reaction to the victims of Savile & Harris. The writer was saying that the victims were being punished by many of the public and some in the press because Savile & Harris were almost considered national treasures. That a whole generation grew up knowing these two guys as lovable TV presenters, and that when the truth emerged, that they not only took away the victim's childhoods, the public felt that part of their childhood had been taken, because the public image that Savile & Harris created hid something nasty & unpleasant. Interesting that people should turn on the abuse victims, rather than the perpetrators

Edited by Mister M

Not mine. I couldn't stand any of his "comedy".

Not mine. I couldn't stand any of his "comedy".

That's because it wasn't funny generally. I never liked Rolf or Jimmy either. The fix it Program was quite fun though.

The problem that I have with these rape(and lesser crimes) is that they were committed a long time ago.

Can someone remember what they were doing 30 years ago and prove it, I cannot. A recent case involved an intent to commit rape, how can you prove the the incident happened, and what was in the mind of the assailant.

They also had different standards back then, is a law valid, if it is not enforced?

The problem that I have with these rape(and lesser crimes) is that they were committed a long time ago.

Can someone remember what they were doing 30 years ago and prove it, I cannot. A recent case involved an intent to commit rape, how can you prove the the incident happened, and what was in the mind of the assailant.

They also had different standards back then, is a law valid, if it is not enforced?

I am with you on this. Obviously rape and other serious crimes need to be investigated and justice needs to be done.

However, I would have no idea how I would defend myself in this situation. If my defence relied on my recollection of my actions on say November the 3rd last year, I wouldn't know.

Now if the allegations were made at the time, the day would obviously stick in my mind. However, if the coppers knocked on my door today and accused me of say Armed Robbery, I would have no alibi for this day in November as I can't remember it.

Anyone know what happens if the defendant can't remember the day?

Can you remember raping someone? Can you remember being raped?

I can't remember what was on tv one night 30 yrs ago, I'll give you that..but if you're raping or being raped I'm pretty sure It'll be seared into your brain..

"Can anyone remember blah blah" is code for apology or someone who is so far removed from empathy or understanding.

Can you remember raping someone? Can you remember being raped?

I can't remember what was on tv one night 30 yrs ago, I'll give you that..but if you're raping or being raped I'm pretty sure It'll be seared into your brain..

Particularly if the perpetrator appears on TV regularly to help you remind you of it.