Derek Dooley way - roadworks commencing 8th Feb 2015

2 hours ago, sheffandy said:

What a joke this area  was today. What a day to actually decide to pneumatic drill across the road next to the Tesco Local.  Why on earth that couldn't  be done at night I'll never know. Kelham Island was a no go area and bumper to bumper.

agreed. I got stuck in the traffic whilst on the way to work. Took me 30 minutes to get from Kelham Island to just past Tesco. I had actually left the house earlier 30 minutes prior to starting work  as i was expecting there to be some traffic . When i arrived it was standstill for some time. Closing one of the lanes close to the junction coming down from West Bar caused massive problems ! 

So the first part of this thread dates from 2015. Is what they're doing now what they were meant to be doing then and it's taken them four years to get round to it, or is what they're doing now something completely different? And if so, what?

Just an FYI - only one of the lanes is open again today so very high likelihood of tailbacks again - same place as last sunday ( opposite lane though). 

On 24/06/2019 at 21:58, metalman said:

So the first part of this thread dates from 2015. Is what they're doing now what they were meant to be doing then and it's taken them four years to get round to it, or is what they're doing now something completely different? And if so, what?

no idea - i think they just had signs up when i first created the thread but then nothing materialised. It has probably just taken them 4 years to get around to doing the works. 

Anyone got a link to the Shalesmoor /  Dooley Way road plans please?

I wonder what's going off every time I pass.

2 hours ago, FORE said:

Anyone got a link to the Shalesmoor /  Dooley Way road plans please?

I wonder what's going off every time I pass.

i believe they are widening the roads around that area.

58 minutes ago, PlayStation said:

i believe they are widening the roads around that area.

Thanks.

I hope that's obvious, but there's SO MUCH going off and different lanes & directions it would be interesting to see how things will finish.

That new u-turn they've put in is ridiculous, it took a large lorry three attempts to fully get around the other morning and at other times the lights turn red to oncoming traffic even when there are no vehicles waiting to exit the junction.
They also look as if they are  / have taken the filter lane out that  makes the left turn towards Saville Street too.
The whole layout is a total mess.

the new layout is here, it's not the clearest but gives an idea.

I'd agree, the new u-turn is absolutely awful. They do seem to be intending to put the left filter lane back in for heading down Saville Street, but right now it's a nightmare without it

These works seem to have taken a ridiculously long time for whats actually been done, surely large teams of workers working at nights would have been quicker and less disruptive.

The changes seem to be:

Along Corporation street S of the roundabout, increase from 2 to 3 lanes in both N and S directions.

Move the NE corner of the roundabout loop further east, making it tighter and reduced from 2 lanes to 1. I imagine this simplifies the junction between Nursery St and the Westward limb of the ring road, making it a 4-way rather than 5-way junction and so reducing the wait at the lights.

Increase from 1 to 2 the lanes of traffic heading E on Derek Dooley way which can fork left onto Saville St.

Plus changes / improvements to cycle and pedestrian routes

2 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

Plus changes / improvements to cycle and pedestrian routes

definitely *not* improvements.

9 hours ago, nuthead said:

the new layout is here, it's not the clearest but gives an idea.

thanks for that!

Another vote for why is it taking so long?