Derek Dooley way - roadworks commencing 8th Feb 2015

looks sensible.

But still wont solve my biggest gripe.

Nursery Street outbound is a killer in the evening by car & bus. The lights are green for about 8 seconds at the brigehouses gyratory roundabout. 2 cars through and that's it and the queue just builds and builds.

Takes me 20 Minutes sometimes to get from Castlegate to Bank Street, going round in a big circle, when before I could tootle straight across bridge street to the bottom of Snig Hill and turn left.

Good old planning that, all those extra emissions must be doing wonders for the city.

Ah so this is what's going on. I saw them doing measurements last week on my walk to work (I'm in Brewery Wharf), then on Friday they'd spraypainted all over the place. Today they put cones out but no work had started when I last popped out (early afternoon).

This better not close the footpath. If I have to walk the other way I've gotta go all the way up to the Rutland Road bridge as the one on Ball Street seems to just be permanently closed now. :/

On 05/02/2015 at 14:58, small_hall said:

anyone know what they are doing? Spotted a few signs on the way home last night that said roadworks were due to commence on the 8th, and last for 4 months.

Also noticed that the traffic was far heavier than usual this morning on the way to work -around 8am ish ( although this could be unrelated)

So much for lasting 4 months, no where near finished and looks like it will be another 4 months 

Spring 2020 is what the signs say it will finish.

I'm still trying to work out what they are trying to achieve apart from another set of lights for the Shalesmoor bound traffic..... it's getting ridiculous now.
Those temporary narrow lanes are dangerous too.

2 hours ago, darylslinn said:

I'm still trying to work out what they are trying to achieve apart from another set of lights for the Shalesmoor bound traffic..... it's getting ridiculous now.
Those temporary narrow lanes are dangerous too.

Yeah, the concrete blocks to the right of traffic, some of them are sticking way out into the lane now!

Not easy especially when a lorry appears on your left hand side too.....

Ironically with all the cycle lanes in place around there and the others going in you don't see many cyclists around there.

Edited by darylslinn

Personally I'd avoid that main road if I could and use the quieter back streets, and the cycle lanes don't look particularly inviting to me as a cyclist.

1 hour ago, darylslinn said:

Ironically with all the cycle lanes in place around there and the others going in you don't see many cyclists around there.

Brown paint in the gutter does not make a safe cycle route. 

What a joke this area  was today. What a day to actually decide to pneumatic drill across the road next to the Tesco Local.  Why on earth that couldn't  be done at night I'll never know. Kelham Island was a no go area and bumper to bumper.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Personally I'd avoid that main road if I could and use the quieter back streets, and the cycle lanes don't look particularly inviting to me as a cyclist.

theres a big clue there for anyone who takes the time to look 

it says  cycle lanes closed 

As they all should be.

1 hour ago, teecee75 said:

theres a big clue there for anyone who takes the time to look 

it says  cycle lanes closed 

As they all should be.

Yeah, I didn't say I wouldn't use them right now did I genius...  Before the roadworks they didn't look like great cycle lanes and I would have avoided that road given the option.