Erm - the above post was suppose to be tongue in cheek. End of the day it's about the quality of the food, service, and value for money of restaurant what matters.

And I agree with Bago about his comments on food being 'Westernised' for the English palate. I've been to China and ate in restaurants there; and believe you me it was very different to what we have here. Again, end of the day, the restaurant trade is a business which caters for their customer's needs...

Apologies, sense of humour failure.

Now I can see it. I'd better cut down on the self-righteous pills again.

myself and hubbie weren't impressed. we went a few months ago. Hubbie had been wanting to try it for ages and it was his birthday choice. Service was terribly slow, it was very busy but atmosphere was like a canteen. The food apart from the starter was rubbish and not very tasty and it was very expensive for what we had. All in all i wouldn't go again. The inter thai restaurant is far superior and much friendlier.

I wouldn't say Mao is a forward-thinking chinese restaurant.

If it was it didn't last long, it's canged it's name already, I don't know if they do that same food though, which was very nice on the one time I visited it as Mao.

As for Wasabisabi not being very "authentic", is any restaurant realy authentic once it's taken out of it's home country ? Italian food, in Italy, is completely different to anything you get here, burgers in the US (in non-chain restaurants), are actually edible and a decent meal.

If it was it didn't last long, it's canged it's name already, I don't know if they do that same food though, which was very nice on the one time I visited it as Mao.

I can't remember exactly what they served, but it is hard to target that kind of market, when the demand is not quite there yet... It's actually very hard to "pitch" taste, and the population's perception of what is classed as ethnic food. Which I find weird in a way...

As for Wasabisabi not being very "authentic", is any restaurant realy authentic once it's taken out of it's home country ? Italian food, in Italy, is completely different to anything you get here, burgers in the US (in non-chain restaurants), are actually edible and a decent meal.

That's the thing, how do people know if it was authentic or not? I sometimes cringe whenever I read a comment about a foreigner coming into the country to try the ethnic food, only to be then told that it is not even ethnic food by the home country it is supposed to be from. People then think that eating establishments cheats their customers, but then they fail to think about how authentic is authentic? Where is the level of authenticity supposed to lie? Businesses cannot operate on using the highest quality on importing highest value ingredients to operate a eating establishment. Most may just operate on what is found locally but following recipes which adhere to a certain style of ethnic food cuisine.

I bet burgers are actually cooked from fresh meat in the US! Which is a good thing, even though the ones we get here are more likely to be processed.

I LOVE Wasabi Sabi...AND LOVE the fact that its usually busy, despite not being at the trendy end of town.

I don't think its expensive...and yes it may have a canteenesque (thats not a real word is it?) atmosphere, but I think that is part of its social appeal.

Cannot recommend the teppanyaki table enough for a fantastic alternative night out

It is expensive but the lunch menus are not too pricey and the food is good. I can't complain about the service, it's the first time in my life that someone has bowed to me!

I bet burgers are actually cooked from fresh meat in the US! Which is a good thing, even though the ones we get here are more likely to be processed.

Burgers you make yourself from fresh meat are fabulous.

The ones served in Uncle Sams on Ecclesall Road used to be good, but I can't vouch for their current fare as I haven't been there in years.

it hasnt been open for long, but i was wondering what people think about it. personally, i really like it...

i really like it, ive only been when the chef cooks in front of you

but i so hungry when i left, it does not fill me very much:) :)

Really like it here.

Not been for the teppenyaki though. I normally go for the gyozo dumplings and nigiri sushi and banana fritters.

OMG the teppenyaki at wasabisabi is the best most delicious food Ive ever tasted!

Have such a laugh as well sat around having you own personal chef tossng bits of egg at you to catch in your mouth! HAHA

The teppenyaki at wasabisabi is THE BEST meal ive ever had! Throughly enjoyed it and had a great evening! princesskim..do you have hollow legs? how can you go home from teppenyaki not full?I had the duck, chicken and beef option (number 5 i think) and with 9 courses I was absolutely stuffed!!!!