Mayhem on mowbray street!!

Which idiot decides how long to keep these lights on (cough) green heading towards wicker from neepsend?, i counted four seconds each time it was on green for this morning taking me fifteen minutes to get through them due to this and traffic from pitsmoor road blocking lanes once getting through

This was at 10 a.m - not school traffic stupid stupid stupid some people :mad:

Which idiot decides how long to keep these lights on (cough) green heading towards wicker from neepsend?, i counted four seconds each time it was on green for this morning taking me fifteen minutes to get through them due to this and traffic from pitsmoor road blocking lanes once getting through

I'm sure the council does it on purpose to hold up traffic, so we all behave like good little automatons from the 70s and take the bus

I often pass through those lights, the same direction as you at around 4:30am. Often as I approach them the Mowbray ones are on red and the Pitsmoor road ones are on green. By the time I reach them both sets are red and I'm sat there for what seems like an age waiting to go, and EVERY TIME, EVERY TIME, the Pitsmoor road ones turn back to green again first, even though there's no traffic at them, so I have to wait a further 20 seconds for the Mowbray ones to change so I can go.

Sheffield Council pretends to be "green" but they haven't a clue.There is the technology to switch traffic lights and crossings so they provide clear runs for the traffic but they prefer to have the stop/start actions which we all know produces more pollution and costs more in fuel. And as already been mentioned, they then try to lure you onto the buses, that's another joke!

Guest sibon
Sheffield Council pretends to be "green" but they haven't a clue.There is the technology to switch traffic lights and crossings so they provide clear runs for the traffic but they prefer to have the stop/start actions which we all know produces more pollution and costs more in fuel. And as already been mentioned, they then try to lure you onto the buses, that's another joke!

Why is it an advantage for the council to get you to take the bus?

Have you considered walking instead of using the car?

Help save the planet

Absolute rubbish.

All of the signals on main routes are connected to the Council's urban traffic control system and they optimise the sequences to promote better traffic flow as much as they possibly can.

OK - lets give the A61 (penistone Road etc) a clear run from Hillsborough all the way to the Parkway - how is traffic from Mowbray Street as per the OP going to join it without lights? Would traffic even get as far as Mowbray Street - how long would they be queuing on Rutland Road?

If the first car goes straight away when the green comes on three cars can get through before the red returns.

Absolute rubbish.

All of the signals on main routes are connected to the Council's urban traffic control system and they optimise the sequences to promote better traffic flow as much as they possibly can.

In which case, they are leaving plenty of room for improvement!

The traffic lights in Sheffield were my pet peeve when I lived there. For most of the day lots of them are completely pointless as there is no traffic yet you're still expected to sit there and wait at a red light at 3am while nothing comes the other way. It's a British thing - the need for the authorities to control every aspect of human life and reduce free choice to a minimum. I'm sure if Planner1 is still around he will chip in at any moment telling us all how utterly dangerous life is without 24 hour traffic lights every couple of metres. The fact is though that I've never seen a fireball of wrecked cars when a set of lights has been out.

In other parts of the world we have these things called stop signs and where traffic lights are needed they're timed appropriately and switched off when not needed.

Absolute rubbish.

Some are obviously linked like the Parkway roundabout and bottom of Hoyle St, but the ones at Wadsley Bridge/Kilner Way are not and these are relatively recent installations.The timing on these is haphazard and seem to give priority to the side roads, even when there's no cars waiting to come through.