Macro Lens Thoughts?

I'm after a macro lens as I've never really done any macro work before. I imagine I'll use it primarily for flowers / insects / things like that. I have a Canon 700D.

I've looked at the following:

- Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM

- Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM

- Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro

- Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro OS HSM

- Tamron 60mm f2 Di II LD (IF) Macro

- Tamron 90mm Di Macro 1:1 f2.8

- Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di USD VC Macro

- Tokina 100mm f2.8 AT-X PRO Macro

however I've dismissed the 60mm and 70mm lenses as I feel the bigger focal length would be beneficial, and I've also dismissed the Canon 100mm and Tokina as the price of these is up there with the Sigma OS and Tamron VC - if I'm spending that much I would rather have the stabilisation.

So essentially it's down to:

- Tamron 90mm Di Macro 1:1 f2.8

- Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di USD VC Macro

- Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro OS HSM

I've found the older (non-VC Tamron) for £230 whereas the other two are around £380, so quite a big difference. I'm normally a big fan of stabilisation however I accept that the vast majority of macro work will have to be tripod based, so is it worth the extra? Am I likely to want to use the lens for things other than macro work, e.g. portraits or otherwise as a walkabout lens, and find the stabilisation beneficial? Alternatively, do you have a good reason I should consider one of the other lenses that I've dismissed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

An older Tamron lens without stabilisation only focused down to 1/2 size and an adaptor was needed to go to 1:1.

I don't know if this is the lens you are considering but it would be worth checking.

Can't comment on the Tamron, but I've heard good things about the Sigma 105 and seen some cracking shots taken with it.

Tokina 100mm f2.8 AT-X PRO great lens :)

can't comment on the individual lenses, sorry. What I would suggest, is have a look on flickr at some groups as quite often there are groups set up for lenses. that way you can see some of the results.

the other thing is to maybe check out https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/ - lots of good advice on lenses there as well.

or use this:

https://pixelpeeper.com/adv/?lens=1088&camera=none&perpage=100&focal_min=none&focal_max=none&aperture_min=none&aperture_max=none&iso_min=none&iso_max=none&exp_min=none&exp_max=none&res=3

you can set any lens/camera combo to see any photos taken... nothing for canon 700D tho with tokina lens

I use a Tamron 180mm f3.5.

My usual macro subjects aren't what I want to get my face too close to!

Don't forget a 105mm on a crop sensor will be aprox 157mm. I use the Sigma 105mm on my Canon 70d (APSC) and is a great lens it's aslo good for portraits but you can't be too close to the subject.

I made a flash tube for my macro work and it works a treat, I made it from a pot noodle pot and a pringles tube and lined it with tin foil, had to cut two slits either side of the tube and taped it up where it meets the flash for a snug fit and most importantly I put the lens in the closest focus distance and made sure the tube flashed at the same distance then all i do to focus is move slightly back or forth till focus is achieved. I finished it by wrapping it in carbon film just because i had some laying around.

DSC00586_zpsrcfe054a.jpg