Administering antibiotics to a rabbit?

My rescue rabbit Caramel has what the vet thinks is an internal abcess (thankfully not a tumour according to the biopsy) but now having fun and games attempting to administer antibiotics... she’s got to through the course before she can be spayed and have the lump fully investigated (but it’s looking like it’s an abcess).

...not only does she have sixth sense and won't come anywhere near me (the current hutch and run are not very human-accessible - a DIY job for the warmer months, methinks!) but I can’t be certain SHE will be the one to take the food because she shares her space with Jack, our other rescue.

Assuming we can catch her and separate them, is that a good idea to do with bonded rabbits (if we put her hutch as close to theirs as possible for the duration of time she needs to be dosed?)

and does anyone have any suggestions of what to use to persuade her to take the drug- its Baytril and the vet suggested soaking bread or a digestive biscuit or else possibly mixing with a small amount of orange juice and getting her to lap it.

If you have any other tricks that have worked with your own rabbits I’m all ears!

My rescue rabbit Caramel has what the vet thinks is an internal abcess (thankfully not a tumour according to the biopsy) but now having fun and games attempting to administer antibiotics... she’s got to through the course before she can be spayed and have the lump fully investigated (but it’s looking like it’s an abcess).

...not only does she have sixth sense and won't come anywhere near me (the current hutch and run are not very human-accessible - a DIY job for the warmer months, methinks!) but I can’t be certain SHE will be the one to take the food because she shares her space with Jack, our other rescue.

Assuming we can catch her and separate them, is that a good idea to do with bonded rabbits (if we put her hutch as close to theirs as possible for the duration of time she needs to be dosed?)

and does anyone have any suggestions of what to use to persuade her to take the drug- its Baytril and the vet suggested soaking bread or a digestive biscuit or else possibly mixing with a small amount of orange juice and getting her to lap it.

If you have any other tricks that have worked with your own rabbits I’m all ears!

Baytril is foul tasting :D what I do is to get a pipette and put in some pineapple or orange juice, then the Baytril and give it as quickly as possible, the nasty stuff goes in first then the nice stuff covers the taste up...thats it in theory anyway :hihi:

Yes agreed with Moon - I would mix with juice or a tiny bit of ribena or something and syringe it in so you can be sure she's got it. No need to separate then.x

I always put a little bit of Ribena in an egg cup then the Baytril, and syringe it in to the rabbits, really quick, I presume the vet gave you a syringe, Baytril is wonderful stuff, but does taste horrible,

I was always told to mix it with ribena. Prepare it before you go for her so she doesnt see it. Please dint put it in her water or on food, i was told to with the guineas when i was new to them, but they avoid it like the plague

Thank you all - catching the little critter is the fun part, lol, she knows exactly when to disappear to the far reaches of the run where I just cn't get her. That's another DIY job obe sorted after the other half retires...

Anyway meantime, wil;l try the ribena, that's a new one on me - she had it last night eventually when I managed to coax her to investigate a carrot, lol. But my vet had sugested ewitherorange juice or soaking a bit of bread or digestive bisciut and now you've all told me it's foul tasting I realise that's a waste of time! Ah well will keep trying to catch her meantime. Don't want to separate her from Jack if I can avoid it especially in this chilly weather

Was it you who collected the free hutch from me? Your name seems familiar lol

Was it you who collected the free hutch from me? Your name seems familiar lol

Yes it was thank you! I'm waiting for a run I've ordered to arrive this week and other half is going to extend on it so that (the plan was) we could get a third rabbit to gradually introduce to our existing two. Looks now like I will have to put Caramel in that second hutch temporarily for the time she needs to have antibiotics because she just refuses to come anywhere near where I can get to her (our extension run is alongside our cat pen, impossible to get to, sigh!

---------- Post added 04-02-2015 at 17:58 ----------

Pity it's not Jack rabbit who needs treating HE comes trotting up every time I go near the hutch/run! Typical. I can see me having to buy a second lot of Baytril to start over

Im gutted i missed you, i had my hands tied with the kids! Maybe next time :D