Can someone please explain anti-semitism to me?

Never understood it personally, and there may of course be more than one reason.

Some jealousy may be involved in that - as a pure generalization - Jews tend to be seen as well educated people, either in professions or self owned businesses.

Also, I've heard people say " They stick together " well that's a shock! persecuted people, often fleeing the country of their birth and helping each other out, terrible way to behave, no wonder some people have a problem with them. :rolleyes:

And of course there are some people who just love to hate, it's the way they're made and in a way if their behaviour wasn't so unacceptable you'd almost feel sorry for them.

These are not happy contented people we're talking about.

I've dealt with quite a number of Jews over the years through business and actually worked for one for some years.

Never had a problem liked virtually all of them, found them to be honest and reasonable to do business with, and I like their sense of humour.

Been to Israel, had a great time, aside from the interrogation at customs on the way in and out, which was perfectly understandable given the circumstances.

Don't particularly agree with Israels government policies, but then I don't always agree with British or Irish government policies, and they have as much to do with me as Israels have to do with ordinary Jews.

The Holocaust has always fascinated and horrified me at the same time, and since the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz recently, I started to look more into the roots of anti-Semitism and where it originated from.

Now try as I might, I am still unable to fully understand or get a satisfactory answer as to why anti-Semitism is one of the most widely practised and accepted forms of discrimination throughout the centuries. In short, why do people hate the Jews so much and why have they been a constant target of poor treatment in many different countries at one time or another?

You could argue that discrimination by definition is an unfounded and baseless act, but I am truly baffled by this. The other thing they ever seem to have done wrong is be successful??

Can anybody help me to understand it better?

To the early Christians they were the killers of Christ. They first felt persecution under the Romans once the Roman Empire became Christian under Constantine. In western Europe they were banned from many professions and became money lenders and bankers. Professions that are never popular. Many rumors circulated in this country in medieval times about Jewish practices these included child sacrifice. On at least one occasion all Jews were required to leave this country. This was due to the king at the time (maybe Henry 1st?) becoming so indebted to them that he could not repay his loans. His answer? banishment.

The full explanation would take a full book. I hope the above goes some way to explaining what the basis of anti Semitism stems from.

I was wondering the same alately? What threat do 21st Century jews pose to anyone?

The few I have met have been intelligent and honest. Maybe it is just predujice?

I do remember a German friend in the 70's however telling why he thinks the Germans did not like jews in the early 20th century. Apparently they was taking over the little busineses and employing their own. Had there own communities and their own way of living. Sounds like they snubbed the native German. So no wonder Hitler didn't like them.

But that was predujice then and I cannot see how todays Jews are a threat to anybody?

i would be also intersted to know why the hate and dislike? Israel and Palestine aside.

I think the hatred of this particular group of people comes from two fronts. Firstly historically they have good business acumen and are skillful capitalists. So hence have money. So when a country goes down the tubes as in German after reparations they were scapegoated.

Secondly some of the hatred comes from the actions of the state of Israel regarding the occupation of Palestine. which although is a mixture of different religions predominantly Jewish. Which is awful as many Jewish people have stood opposed to Benyamin Netenyahu and the Israelis illegal occupation and war.

Given rise to accusations that Jews were not only collectively responsible for the death of Christ, but killed Christian babies, poisoned wells, and spread the Black Plague and such. Non of these may be factual but their history has one thing in common..religion and perceptions over time.

So in answer to the op and in my opinion...religion as the foundation.

Thanks for all your input so far. I think I'm starting to see the reasons put forward, although I still can't understand, condone or fathom them..

To summarise, it seems that hatred of the Jews is based on:

- History and events that happened thousands of years ago...the killing of Christ? Come on.

-The fact that they have demonstrated intelligence, initiative and acumen in order to become successful, often in the face of adversity, causing widespread jealousy. Good on them!! If they value education and ambition as part of their culture, then they reap the rewards. If you want the same, work harder!

- They are different in their behaviours and appearance. So? Are they hurting anyone else?

- They're insular and don't integrate. Not entirely true, but even if it was, that's normal. When I go travelling to a foreign country alone for work, I feel comfort and safer when I hear an English accent! It's instinct.

I know this is a very short, simple generalization of what I imagine to be a very complicated issue but either way, from my point of view, I still can't see any concrete, justifiable explanation for what seems to be a very out-dated, unfounded prejudice.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/antifascists-pledge-to-stop-farright-protest-against-jewish-communitys-security-force-in-stamford-hill-10017859.html

Here is the latest manifestation of Far Right Anti Jewish prejudice,after some Jews had the temerity to introduce community policing.

Anti-fascists have pledged to stop far-right nationalists who plan to march through an area of London with a large Jewish population.

Organisers claim to be fighting against what they call the "Jewification" of the UK, and a civilian security group run by volunteers from the Hasidic Jewish community in London.

A ‘Liberate Stamford Hill’ Facebook event calls on nationalists to assemble on Clapton Common in Stamford Hill on 22 March, home to one of the largest Orthodox Jewish communities in Europe.

Members are rallying against the Shomrim security group, named after the Hebrew term for ‘guards’. The organisation operates with the help of 80 volunteers, and focuses on London boroughs including Golders Green, Hendon and Barnet.

Its members, who receive training from the Metropolitan Police, wear uniforms complete with knife-proof vests and look out for anti-Semitic hate crimes, as well as general trouble in the neighbourhood.

The volunteer group also runs a 24-hour crime hotline, and its members are trained to safely track and detain suspects until police arrive.

Edited by chalga

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/antifascists-pledge-to-stop-farright-protest-against-jewish-communitys-security-force-in-stamford-hill-10017859.html

Here is the latest manifestation of Far Right Anti Jewish prejudice,after some Jews had the temerity to introduce community policing.

The Jewification of great Britain? These people are deranged.

If you take the largest estimate, which includes non practicing people of Jewish ancestry, some of whom may even have converted to other religions, you come up with a total Jewish population in the UK ( which includes Northern Ireland which is not in Britain ) of 360,000 which represents 0.57% of the population.

Meanwhile the Sikh population of the UK is estimated at a minimum of 432,439 in the 2011 census.

Do Jews hold a disproportionate amount of influential positions in society in contrast to their numbers? Yes.

Why? Because they have a large number of well educated hard working determined to succeed people amongst their number.

Good for them. Is there a Jewish plot? Get a grip.

I'd be more concerned about the undue influence of Old Etonians proportionate to their numbers on the country.

Thanks for all your input so far. I think I'm starting to see the reasons put forward, although I still can't understand, condone or fathom them..

To summarise, it seems that hatred of the Jews is based on:

- History and events that happened thousands of years ago...the killing of Christ? Come on.

-The fact that they have demonstrated intelligence, initiative and acumen in order to become successful, often in the face of adversity, causing widespread jealousy. Good on them!! If they value education and ambition as part of their culture, then they reap the rewards. If you want the same, work harder!

- They are different in their behaviours and appearance. So? Are they hurting anyone else?

- They're insular and don't integrate. Not entirely true, but even if it was, that's normal. When I go travelling to a foreign country alone for work, I feel comfort and safer when I hear an English accent! It's instinct.

I know this is a very short, simple generalization of what I imagine to be a very complicated issue but either way, from my point of view, I still can't see any concrete, justifiable explanation for what seems to be a very out-dated, unfounded prejudice.

You should also consider the fact that the Jewish religion was very intolerant of other religions. (In ancient times) Whenever Rome invaded or assimilated another culture it accepted its gods and beliefs expecting the conquered country to do the same. The Jews would never do this. The destruction of the temple by the Emperor Titus was part of the attempt to subdue the Jews. The diaspora itself was probably a result of the Jews refusing to accept dominance by other religions.

Your question needs a very long answer, one that will always be debatable. Their religion was one of the first monotheistic religions which has been the foundation of both Christianity and Islam. A question that remains unanswered is would the world have been better without it?

A question that remains unanswered is would the world have been better without it?

That's easy enough to answer, just observe an exactly parallel world where the Abrahamic religion is snuffed out at its inception. Then it's just a game of spot the difference.

You should also consider the fact that the Jewish religion was very intolerant of other religions. (In ancient times) Whenever Rome invaded or assimilated another culture it accepted its gods and beliefs expecting the conquered country to do the same. The Jews would never do this. The destruction of the temple by the Emperor Titus was part of the attempt to subdue the Jews. The diaspora itself was probably a result of the Jews refusing to accept dominance by other religions.

Your question needs a very long answer, one that will always be debatable. Their religion was one of the first monotheistic religions which has been the foundation of both Christianity and Islam. A question that remains unanswered is would the world have been better without it?

Did you just call them intolerant for not welcoming invaders? :suspect:

Some People {Hitler for example}are always looking for whipping boys.