'Right Appliance' Gumtree

No one has mentioned the word essential, only you !!!

Simple logic. If you're short of money things like food, utility bills, rent become essential. So well done on your observation where I was the only one mentioning essential

Simple logic. If you're short of money things like food, utility bills, rent become essential. So well done on your observation where I was the only one mentioning essential

Did the OP say they didn`t have enough money for the things you mention??

By the way you are taking this off topic.

I also felt sorry for the OP, I know what it`s like to have little money because I have been there myself. So well said :thumbsup:

I'm not arguing with you, those are your words from earlier

Thats the problem with you people. keep putting it to experience and let the scammer carry on ripping other off

its simple if you try things before you buy you dont get scammed :loopy:

if you dont try things and get scammed over a 50 quid washer are what ever else what do you want to do start a riot over 50 quid :loopy:

Huffty... not everyone likes owing stores money and would prefer to own something outright. It was a lesson many learnt after the recession.

I can't believe (well I can, unfortunately) this thread has become about what an idiot you have to be to buy used goods on trust in an emergency. I've done the same and bought a fridge (without trying it) from Preloved when I was in a bind because I needed something cheap, there and then and I don't like avoidable debt (because god knows, there haven't been any harsh lessons learned on an international level about our collective willingness to jump into debt over the last few years).

I was lucky, the fridge worked fine (still use it in fact, not bad for £25). I can't believe people are saying someone in a similar predicament basically deserved what they got when their washer didn't. They're not asking for the world to apologise for the cruelty of fate, all they're trying to do is warn people in a similar predicament to be careful of buying in the same scenario and to HELP PEOPLE learn from their harsh lesson.

Seriously if you can't do anything more than tell people who are having a hard time how they basically deserve it, you are a poor human.

I can't believe (well I can, unfortunately) this thread has become about what an idiot you have to be to buy used goods on trust in an emergency. I've done the same and bought a fridge (without trying it) from Preloved when I was in a bind because I needed something cheap, there and then and I don't like avoidable debt (because god knows, there haven't been any harsh lessons learned on an international level about our collective willingness to jump into debt over the last few years).

I was lucky, the fridge worked fine (still use it in fact, not bad for £25). I can't believe people are saying someone in a similar predicament basically deserved what they got when their washer didn't. They're not asking for the world to apologise for the cruelty of fate, all they're trying to do is warn people in a similar predicament to be careful of buying in the same scenario and to HELP PEOPLE learn from their harsh lesson.

Seriously if you can't do anything more than tell people who are having a hard time how they basically deserve it, you are a poor human.

Thank you hunni :-)

And thank you for everyone elses comments :-)

Like you said, only trying to make people aware, so other people don't fall for it + loose there money.. Such negativity off some people.. God forbid one of your posessions break when you're stuck..

Wise word from my parents. Always save for a rainy day.

Must be nice to be so perfect and wise, hope you're not with HSBC

Wise word from my parents. Always save for a rainy day.

Then why didnt you buy a new car for your job in Rotherham.

ha ha pot calling kettle

So the other day my washing machine decided to break down.

As i was strap for cash i thought i'd look on gumtree to find a cheap second hand one, until i could afford to buy a brand new one.

PLEASE NOBODY FALL FOR THIS SCAM!!

Alas, if its too good to be true, it usually is. The first rule is: NEVER buy anything like this from anyone who only advertised with a mobile - too easy to ditch the SIM card and the number, and start again without all those annoying complaints.

If you go to a shop or premises to buy a used item, or at least, someone who advertises with a landline number you know that they exist and where they are, and that they are much less likely to disappear overnight.

This is all basic, and I am surprised anyone still takes this sort of risk. I am a TV aerial engineer, have been for 30+ years, and still get regularly rung up to come and sort out a "job" done by a cowboy on Gumtree etc, who - guess what? only has a mobile number as a contact, and has left a complete shambles behind him..

"But I paid him £150" wails the customer.

"OK, what's his address?" I ask.

"I don't know".

"Where's the proper receipt and guarantee he gave you?"

"I didn't get one"

"What's his landline number?"

"He didn't leave one"

I sigh... Now the unfortunate gullible person is going to have to pay me to sort out the mess he paid someone else to create, all because he didn't take elementary precautions when buying.

I despair sometimes. Really, people, you HAVE to take a little care. Especially on Gumtree.

This isn't a criticism, I speak in sadness rather than in contempt - but this is nothing new, 2000 years ago, the Romans had the same problem with dodgy traders - they had a phrase for it - "Caveat Emptor"

- "Let the buyer beware."

Edited by martyn1949