'Right Appliance' Gumtree

So the other day my washing machine decided to break down.

As i was strap for cash i thought i'd look on gumtree to find a cheap second hand one, until i could afford to buy a brand new one.

I stumbled across a man called 'Pete' who was selling a white/washer dryer for £55, and was based on LYTTON CRESCENT but could deliver for £5. I contacted him and he said the item worked brilliantly just had the bottom panel missing and he would deliver to me.

When he came to deliver he brought the washer in, and said 'theres a panel missing on the bottom but can pick one up for £8, all works fine pal' picked up the cash and left, not giving us chance to try out the washer first.

To my surprise the washer DIDNT work, as soon as you turn it on the lights are flickering everywhere, there isn't even a belt on it, my guess is it has been picked up as SCRAP and sold on. I rang him to tell him the washer didnt work and he seemed pretty surprised, telling me he was going to drop another washer off in Doncaster and he would be straight back to check it.. he never turned up.

He was selling quiet a few other bits, washers, tumble dryers, fridge/freezers, (i knew this by clicking the see sellers other items) but the sellers name was 'Adam' selling from places such as lytton crescent sheffield, Elsworth close, doncaster,and Derwent street, Derbyshire.

The next day the contact number changed, and the name changed to 'rich' so i rang the number explained they had sold me a faulty washer, why they didnt come, and the person who answered 'rich' said that it was a business called 'RIGHT APPLIANCES' based in Derbyshire and that they advertise through Gumtree. He asked if i had a receipt and i said no, so he told me he would let his boss know and he would get back to me. His 'boss' text me that evening off the same number saying it wasn't anybody from his company that is why i didn't have a receipt. I told him i would be contacting the police, and he then changed his mind telling me that 'ive done some digging around and t looks like it was a guy called Pete Brown from Leeds, i'll find his address and let you know, but he doesnt work for me' I asked him why he was posting from his gumtree account and he recons he doesnt have an idea.

I have been browsing through gumtree again today and to my surprise they are advertising AGAIN now under JACK! with yet a different contact number.

There items state 'Bosch washing machine 7kg 1200 spin with tuch button in silver full working order can dliver'

They all state they are in full working order and can deliver.. different addresses on each item..

PLEASE NOBODY FALL FOR THIS SCAM!!

So the other day my washing machine decided to break down.

As i was strap for cash i thought i'd look on gumtree to find a cheap second hand one, until i could afford to buy a brand new one.

I stumbled across a man called 'Pete' who was selling a white/washer dryer for £55, and was based on LYTTON CRESCENT but could deliver for £5. I contacted him and he said the item worked brilliantly just had the bottom panel missing and he would deliver to me.

When he came to deliver he brought the washer in, and said 'theres a panel missing on the bottom but can pick one up for £8, all works fine pal' picked up the cash and left, not giving us chance to try out the washer first.

To my surprise the washer DIDNT work, as soon as you turn it on the lights are flickering everywhere, there isn't even a belt on it, my guess is it has been picked up as SCRAP and sold on. I rang him to tell him the washer didnt work and he seemed pretty surprised, telling me he was going to drop another washer off in Doncaster and he would be straight back to check it.. he never turned up.

He was selling quiet a few other bits, washers, tumble dryers, fridge/freezers, (i knew this by clicking the see sellers other items) but the sellers name was 'Adam' selling from places such as lytton crescent sheffield, Elsworth close, doncaster,and Derwent street, Derbyshire.

The next day the contact number changed, and the name changed to 'rich' so i rang the number explained they had sold me a faulty washer, why they didnt come, and the person who answered 'rich' said that it was a business called 'RIGHT APPLIANCES' based in Derbyshire and that they advertise through Gumtree. He asked if i had a receipt and i said no, so he told me he would let his boss know and he would get back to me. His 'boss' text me that evening off the same number saying it wasn't anybody from his company that is why i didn't have a receipt. I told him i would be contacting the police, and he then changed his mind telling me that 'ive done some digging around and t looks like it was a guy called Pete Brown from Leeds, i'll find his address and let you know, but he doesnt work for me' I asked him why he was posting from his gumtree account and he recons he doesnt have an idea.

I have been browsing through gumtree again today and to my surprise they are advertising AGAIN now under JACK! with yet a different contact number.

There items state 'Bosch washing machine 7kg 1200 spin with tuch button in silver full working order can dliver'

They all state they are in full working order and can deliver.. different addresses on each item..

PLEASE NOBODY FALL FOR THIS SCAM!!

Gumtree is full of scammers

£55 is not really cheap for a used second hand washing machine.

Was the cheapest thing on there at the time.. now i know why

If you paid by cash and didn't get a receipt of any kind you're kind of stuffed.

You can report it to the police, but it's unlikely they can do anything based on such flimsy information.

Might be worth trying to contact trading standards.

You might find the company doesn't even exist tho, and it's just a couple of scammers going round scrap yards or the streets, picking stuff up and selling it on Gumtree.

get a friends to order a washing machine and you can wait there for him with a few mates

I've read something very similar to this on Facebook. Someone was selling a washing machine on a buying and selling group and when they bought it they found it was scrap. I would phone and log it on 101. Even if they don't have evidence, if several people are caught up by similar sellers they might investigate.

I feel for the OP, I did exactly the same some months back. Needed a washer to tide me over for a few months and found a 'company' under the guise of South Yorkshire Appliances on Gumtree. Picked one of the washers advertised and arranged delivery.

The washer wasn't cheap, it was £100 with a 12 month warranty. The guy delivering said he was really busy, so dropped the washer and shot straight off. He took my old washer away as well, and wouldnt knock me the promised tenner off my bill for it.

The washer worked fine for a bit, but I soon realised it wasn't the washer I'd asked for. It was only a 5kg (which was absolutely no use to me - the one I thought I'd paid for was an 8kg), but I only discovered this after I was a bit stricken by the size of the drum and only found out after googling the model number. It then started playing up, making horrendous banging noises and not running through programmes properly.

I still had the receipt for the warranty, so phoned the number given to be told it was no longer a valid number. I looked all over Gumtree to find the company but couldn't find any trace of them, only ads that looked suspiciously like the one I'd answered. After scrapping that machine, I bit the bullet and bought a brand new one from Currys.

Moral of the story is DONT TRUST SOUTH YORKSHIRE APPLIANCES! Or any other 'company' on Gumtree for that matter.

Why not order another appliance and have some friends waiting.

Why not order another appliance and have some friends waiting.

Did you copy post8 and reworded so you sound intelligent?