Coal and the Mines

Last week on the morning News BBC 6.45 to 7.30 I saw a report that Coal was been inported in the North East of England for our Power Stations.

The old prase "Taking Coals to Newcastle" becomes a reality.

Are we mad with the reserves we have on our doorstep.

Open up the mines and bring the miners back. And before you ask I am a South Yorkshire man born and bread, I lived through the mining industry, the coking plant at Orgreave.

Later in the 80,s was involved with Precips at Power Stations to remove Sulphur and other Dioxins so the emmissions did not go into the atmosphere.

We now talk of the Carbon footprint take a close look at wind turbins, solar and heat pumps and the footprint of manufacture and transportation.

Forget the Tree huggers who feel that Biomass is Carbon neutral when we have 6 deleverys a week by 16 wheelers that come from Cubria to Inverness not exactly carbon neutral and that is 1 Hospital in Inverness in our area we have in excess of 12 in our area from Fort William to Skye.

Re open the Pits and let people go back to work and turn this sad econemy back to what it was.

Sandie

Why on earth would we want to turn our economy back to what it was when the mines were open?

Last week on the morning News BBC 6.45 to 7.30 I saw a report that Coal was been inported in the North East of England for our Power Stations.

Open up the mines and bring the miners back. And before you ask I am a South Yorkshire man born and bread, I lived through the mining industry, the coking plant at Orgreave.

Later in the 80,s was involved with Precips at Power Stations to remove Sulphur and other Dioxins so the emmissions did not go into the atmosphere.

We now talk of the Carbon footprint take a close look at wind turbins, solar and heat pumps and the footprint of manufacture and transportation.

Forget the Tree huggers who feel that Biomass is Carbon neutral when we have 6 deleverys a week by 16 wheelers that come from Cubria to Inverness not exactly carbon neutral and that is 1 Hospital in Inverness in our area we have in excess of 12 in our area from Fort William to Skye.

Re open the Pits and let people go back to work and turn this sad econemy back to what it was.

Sandie

What's wrong with jobs a lot of ex miners got? They aren't all sat in the pubs of maltby and thurnscoe waiting for the pits to reopen. Take the old markham site at jct 29a. There's all sorts of stuff going up around there (although why it's taken the better part of 20 years I don't know)

And how much coal have we got and how cost effective is it to get hold of it.

Opening up coal mines in the UK is a nice sentiment, but the technology and the industry internationally have moved on this past 30 years.

Modern economically viable mining is no longer about mines at all. The scale is vast, giant mobile surface dredgers the size of office blocks, huge robot tippers controlled like drones from dozens of miles away, and of course vast tracts of green land laid to open cast.

In this small, over populated country where we can't even build a railway without taking 20 years and nimbies aplenty, I can't see modern mining returning to these shores.

Hi Charmer,

The economy was in a far better shape than it is today at least people had work and money to spend what have we now a country that speculates and produces nothing.

Sandie

Edited by sandie
spelling

Sandie

Yes to turn the economy around we need t'ol barry going down mind with canary and everything will be okay.

Hi Charmer,

The economy was in a far better shape than it is today at least people had work and money to spend what have we now a country that speculates and produces nothing.

Sandie

The economy really wasn't better. We were the sick man of Europe. We are now the world's 6th largest economy.

The coal will still be there in 50 or 100 years time when the rest of the world starts to run out.

Sandie

If you have ever worked down one and seen the appalling conditions workers had to endure then you would realise why they should remain closed.

If there was a chance of reopening the mines I would be open armed about it trust me. But the need for coal has gone down a lot since the mines closed plus many of the old mines would be in a right state after all this time I was once talking to a ex coal miner even he doubted the mines would still be open.

If you have ever worked down one and seen the appalling conditions workers had to endure then you would realise why they should remain closed.

Since leaving Sheffield and now living here I often hear tales of life when the pits were open.

I've yet to hear an ex miner expressing the view they are glad the pits closed.

Most say they would go back down again tomorrow...given the chance.

Sandie

Power stations still using coal? I am shocked. How many homes still have fireplaces even? How many of today's younger generation would even want to work down a pit?

Coal has gone or should be gone the way of steam and good riddance. I can remember the London stinking green fogs that killed people back as recently as the 1960s