Tom Mix silent Movie Star

Does anyone remember Tom Mix coming to Sheffield about 1938, I would be about 7or 8, We lived on Leadmill Road and my Dad took me to the Midland Station to see him arrive he came out of the Station in an open top car and I think his Horse was behind in some sort of carriage, I remember there was big crowds watching (or is it just my memory).

Later on that day or at least the next I was taken to see him at one of the Theatres, I think it was the Empire.

I remember it was only a couple of years later my Dad told me he had been killed in a Car crash, I didn't believe him because to me all Americans only rode horses.

Fast forward 50 years I was on a Fly Drive Holiday and was on a highway from "Phoenix" to "Tuscon" and there was a Stone monument at the spot he was killed, spoiling my childhood illusions.

Gordon England

Remember my dad telling me he visited Sheffield in the 30s

Remember my dad telling me he visited Sheffield in the 30s

......me too.

He departed before my arrival but I recall my dad asking me as a lad whether I'd seen Tom Mix in 'Cement' at the cinema!

echo.

I remember that joke. First time I heard it was when I had a cold sore on my lip. Man, it was painful.