Hungry Horse, Broadfield - open

I dont think the broady is that expensive, quite reasonable actually for the quality of food you get - but ive lived in some of the most expensive places in the world as well... so i guess it relative.

I'd also rather support a local home grown chain (the forum cafe group) over a someone like greene king.

By the way....

I dont have kids but have never seen kids run wild in there. Some kids are excited, but not treating the place like a soft play area.

OK...

I never mentioned you having kids so I don't quite know where you are going with this but thanks for letting me know anyway.

A few days ago I paid the place a visit and was very nearly tripped up by some toddler charging through the pub while its parents sat over the other side completely oblivious or not caring about the nuisance their offspring was causing other patrons. They were probably too engrossed in conversations about beards and ill-fitting trousers.

Cant remember the last new build pub this side of the city.

Someone will probably prove me wrong but think its been a very long time.

The Shepley Spitfire was opened in 1979, which is this side of the city although at Totley. The sheaf on Frazer road (Woodseats/Millhouses) was before that, I think maybe some time in the early 1970s.

Those are the only 2 new pubs buildings built in the sheaf valley in my lifetime as far as I can tell.

The Shepley Spitfire was opened in 1979, which is this side of the city although at Totley. The sheaf on Frazer road (Woodseats/Millhouses) was before that, I think maybe some time in the early 1970s.

Those are the only 2 new pubs buildings built in the sheaf valley in my lifetime as far as I can tell.

Old Mother Redcap at Bradway was built in the 1980s I think.

Does the Wetherspoons on Woodseats count? Not new build but didn't used to be a pub!

OK...

I never mentioned you having kids so I don't quite know where you are going with this but thanks for letting me know anyway.

A few days ago I paid the place a visit and was very nearly tripped up by some toddler charging through the pub while its parents sat over the other side completely oblivious or not caring about the nuisance their offspring was causing other patrons. They were probably too engrossed in conversations about beards and ill-fitting trousers.

I mentioned that I didnt have because because I dont like kids.

Again, I've rarely encountered a feral child in there. We do tend to visit in the evenings, when kids are rarely around though.

Old Mother Redcap at Bradway was built in the 1980s I think.

Does the Wetherspoons on Woodseats count? Not new build but didn't used to be a pub!

No because it is 90% the Woodseats Weatherspoons building it was before when it was a series of supermarkets. The original poster was talking about pubs that were purpose built as pubs and I think that is an interesting and valuable topic for debate.

If you start including buildings that have been converted to bars and pubs then there is a long list, whereas a brand new pub is a rare event in this day and age and worth commenting on, even if it is a fun pub.

I agree about the Old Mother Redcap.

Another two worth mentioning were the Jolly Buffer(aka CLassic Rock bar) and Moorfoot tavern. The Moorfoot tavern can't have been there in the 1970s because the area was completely rebuilt when the Manpower Services commission building was constructed around 1980, although there may have been a previous pub near the location.

The Jolly Buffer (may it rest in peace) was also a new building which looked like it was built in the 1980s.

Is the new pub just off Broadfield road the hardy pick open yet?

yer I have seen this pub rise from the earth it's a big pub with a bigger car prk it will have to sell food to me it pay with a carvery every day n have artistes singing there but where did the name the Hardy pick c:loopy::loopy:come from one ive never heard before x

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 19:38 ----------

having just posted a comement on the new pub at heey and it's name the hardy pick. having done a bit of research the name hardy pick was a parent for a tool factory that made picks, spades shovels forks al sorts o tools so that's were it comes from

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 19:43 ----------

neither the broadfield or brothers arms are new build pubs. They've been in their places for a long time, although will admit that both are a lot better than they used to be for the attention and revamping/rebranding/reopenings they've had. :)

just checked their website and the new one isn't listed on there... which isn't helpful!

Menus look not too bad, for a chain pub. And from the one I used to go to when I lived in South Shields quality was much better than Wetherspoons.

it's name is not the hungry horse that's in Norfolk this one is called the hardy pik named after a patented trade mark for tools don't think its quite open yet there was staff training going on last week when I passed it so wn't belong cheers x:love:

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 19:54 ----------

HOW MANY MORE TIMES DO I HAVE O SAY IT'S NOT THE HUNGRY HORSE OR ANY OTHER NAME THERE'S NOT ANOTHER LIKE IT IN SOUTH YORKSHIRE IT'S NAMED AFTER A COMPANY IN HEELEY CALLED THE HARDY PIH WHO MAE TOOLS LIKE PICKS, SPADES SHOVELS ALL SORTS OF TOOLS THATS IT'S NAME. BUT IT WILL HAVE TO SOME THING SPECIAL TO BRING PUNTERS IN LIKE LUNCHES CARVERY'S IT'S THE ONLY WAY IT CAN SURVIVE. DON'T THINK IT'S OPEN YET AS THEY WERE STAFF TRAINING ALL LAST WEEK GOOD LUCK TO THEM BUT WITH PESIMISTIC EYES. HERE COMES THE NEXT TESCO'S MINI MART :mad::suspect::rant::rant:

yer I have seen this pub rise from the earth it's a big pub with a bigger car prk it will have to sell food to me it pay with a carvery every day n have artistes singing there but where did the name the Hardy pick c:loopy::loopy:come from one ive never heard before x

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 19:38 ----------

having just posted a comement on the new pub at heey and it's name the hardy pick. having done a bit of research the name hardy pick was a parent for a tool factory that made picks, spades shovels forks al sorts o tools so that's were it comes from

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 19:43 ----------

it's name is not the hungry horse that's in Norfolk this one is called the hardy pik named after a patented trade mark for tools don't think its quite open yet there was staff training going on last week when I passed it so wn't belong cheers x:love:

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 19:54 ----------

HOW MANY MORE TIMES DO I HAVE O SAY IT'S NOT THE HUNGRY HORSE OR ANY OTHER NAME THERE'S NOT ANOTHER LIKE IT IN SOUTH YORKSHIRE IT'S NAMED AFTER A COMPANY IN HEELEY CALLED THE HARDY PIH WHO MAE TOOLS LIKE PICKS, SPADES SHOVELS ALL SORTS OF TOOLS THATS IT'S NAME. BUT IT WILL HAVE TO SOME THING SPECIAL TO BRING PUNTERS IN LIKE LUNCHES CARVERY'S IT'S THE ONLY WAY IT CAN SURVIVE. DON'T THINK IT'S OPEN YET AS THEY WERE STAFF TRAINING ALL LAST WEEK GOOD LUCK TO THEM BUT WITH PESIMISTIC EYES. HERE COMES THE NEXT TESCO'S MINI MART :mad::suspect::rant::rant:

Calm down dear and stop shouting in capitals , its not named the Hungry Horse but isn't it belonging to the Hungry Horse company ? There must be some company behind it since as said earlier its very rare these days for a new build pub without some financial or business reason behind it !:rant:

Hungry Horse is a brand of chain pubs owned by Greene King. As previously explained its the family/out of town brand of pubs that Greene King operate (unlike others which operate under the Greene King brand itself). It has a large car park but apparently (according to the planning application) will serve the local area well because the adjacent businesses need somewhere to go for lunch. why this requires a large car park is not explained.

if you dont like the Broadfield (you may be a disgruntled customer from its previous incarnation), thats fine - why not just....not go there. to caricature its clientele and moan about them whilst still going there is absurd. just go up the hill to the union or the byron where you will find an absence of these annoying hipsters.

We called down earlier thinking it was open but as previously said its opening on the 4th to general public.

Never mind, we went up to Swanky Franks instead.

I'm now laid on the sofa feeling ill as I've eaten too much :(

No because it is 90% the Woodseats Weatherspoons building it was before when it was a series of supermarkets. The original poster was talking about pubs that were purpose built as pubs and I think that is an interesting and valuable topic for debate.

If you start including buildings that have been converted to bars and pubs then there is a long list, whereas a brand new pub is a rare event in this day and age and worth commenting on, even if it is a fun pub.

I agree about the Old Mother Redcap.

Another two worth mentioning were the Jolly Buffer(aka CLassic Rock bar) and Moorfoot tavern. The Moorfoot tavern can't have been there in the 1970s because the area was completely rebuilt when the Manpower Services commission building was constructed around 1980, although there may have been a previous pub near the location.

The Jolly Buffer (may it rest in peace) was also a new building which looked like it was built in the 1980s.

That's exactly what I am talking about, new purpose built pubs on this side of the city.

I think you may be right about the Jolly Buffer/Old Mother Redcap , over 30 years ago.