Photographing people in public

I was watching a video on YouTube last night, and some guy was walking down the road in a foreign country, (Bangkok or somewhere) and he was snapping people that walked past him, they were fully aware as he was obviously in front of them and took the photos as they approached and passed each other, i found it a little uncomfortable to be honest, but he couldnt ask their permission as then he wouldnt then get the shot he wanted, now taking pics of people sat in the park reading a paper seems fine to me, but not so blatant and in your face, whats your views.?

Suppose no different to paparazzi

The YouTube video you are referring to, was it a DigitalRev video? The guy reviews cameras often while wandering the streets. Could you post a link? I'm interested, that's all.

Sounds like he was just doing some street photography. Which is perfectly normal and lots of fun. Scary at first, but once you get going you start to feel more comfortable.

Unless you start taking photos of peoples kids in a park, you'll generally find that people can be friendly, understanding and even take interest in what you are doing.

Some countries simply have a different mindset to this one, in Hong Kong (DigitalRev), Thailand, India and Japan for example they dont bat an eyelid at being in the frame, its mostly a different story in European countries.

Some countries simply have a different mindset to this one, in Hong Kong (DigitalRev), Thailand, India and Japan for example they dont bat an eyelid at being in the frame, its mostly a different story in European countries.

Thats probably true, try it in this country and there would be hell to pay ...

The YouTube video you are referring to, was it a DigitalRev video? The guy reviews cameras often while wandering the streets. Could you post a link? I'm interested, that's all.

Sounds like he was just doing some street photography. Which is perfectly normal and lots of fun. Scary at first, but once you get going you start to feel more comfortable.

Unless you start taking photos of peoples kids in a park, you'll generally find that people can be friendly, understanding and even take interest in what you are doing.

Yeah correct, this was the one..to be honest i found him slightly annoying trying to be funny, i just wanted to know about lenses, and on a side note...he didnt give a munkys about taking pics of peoples kids

Edited by banjodeano

Thats probably true, try it in this country and there would be hell to pay ...

Street photography is still very possible over here but you have to be a bit more careful and adopt a more low profile attitude, every time you point a camera towards people over here you put them in suspicion mode.

I think smaller bodied cameras with small lenses probably work better due to their less intrusive dimensions.

I've been out today with my Olympus 35RD, I just hang it round my neck and have a short cable release down to my pocket. The shutter is super quiet and on auto mode it'll catch pretty much anything, the lens goes down to f1.7. and It's a 40mm, so slightly wide. Downside is that although it's small it looks so nice that people walking towards me eye it up all the time, I do better catching them side on :)

https://www.cameraquest.com/olyrd.htm

My better half never leaves the house without her Olympus XA2, she gets some great street shots, it's a little wonder of a camera and as unintrusive as it gets.

I've been out today with my Olympus 35RD, I just hang it round my neck and have a short cable release down to my pocket. The shutter is super quiet and on auto mode it'll catch pretty much anything, the lens goes down to f1.7. and It's a 40mm, so slightly wide. Downside is that although it's small it looks so nice that people walking towards me eye it up all the time, I do better catching them side on :)

https://www.cameraquest.com/olyrd.htm

My better half never leaves the house without her Olympus XA2, she gets some great street shots, it's a little wonder of a camera and as unintrusive as it gets.

Old school camera tastes you have Spacebadger. That 35RD looks sweet, so good its gone full circle and now the new cameras are trying to copy its looks.

That's my most modern camera, seriously! Was out with a box Brownie the other day.

I also love using my old Trip 35, and you're right, I keep seeing a lot of modern compacts copying them these days. Another great street shooter too, utterly bombproof, no battery, fully auto exposure, very cheap, loads around. Last one I got was £10 in a Woodseat charrie shop, perfect condition.

http://lewiscollard.com/cameras/olympus-trip-35/

You will find that that thread has been reopened. If you could just manage to contain your impatience while the moderating team do their jobs that would be wonderful.

Sorry Mort, no sign it was being moderated only closed, normally you stick a closed for review. So I just gave it up, as a dead thread, it's good to see it back open.