Bill Beavers motorbike shop

Yes, here is a scan from the 1971 Kelly's Directory showing the shops between Bill Beevers and the corner. It seems to be the shop with the blue and white signage at the right-hand edge of the first photo posted by cat631. It's fascinating to see the old photo with the tram! :)

Hi hillsbro and cat631,

Yes I agree hillsbro. Here, for convenience, is cat631's second pic on post 22 and also a link to a pic taken on 16 June '93, from the same angle, on which Bill Beevers' shop can be seen 5th along to right from corner of 'little' Bolsover Road near the bread van, and partially hidden behind 'phone boxes and directly under the 4th dormer on the buildings....

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah188/Subby631/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-07%20at%2013.29.41_zpsh2caqmnn.png

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s25442&prevUrl=

The aid of my magnifying glass shows the Honda Sign above the shop window and the plastic illuminated Honda sign, protruding at a right angle above left of doorway, which disappeared only in very recent times! The protruding blue boss with the cream coloured face to which it was fitted is clearly visible far right on cat631's first pic on post 22 shown again below....

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah188/Subby631/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-07%20at%2013.43.12_zps7uldc0qx.png

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah188/Subby631/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-09%20at%2010.52.57_zpswqn5riki.png

Thanks for pointing out the mistake. I should have known, I spent long enough looking through his windows.

Hi cat631,

I used to look through his windows, as mentioned on my previous posts, when I was 14/15 in 1957/8 at 'dinner time' when I was at Owler Lane school. I would choose the bike I would have when I was 16 :). Did eventually have one from him. Also used to call at the shop every week in 1966/72 selling batteries and torches etc for Ever Ready.

However, it was the presence of the old Honda illuminated sign, still in place long after the shop was Bill Beevers', and then after the sign was removed, the boss it had been affixed to, that enabled me to in recent times place where the shop had been.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

On 30/01/2015 at 21:39, bullerboY said:

Bill Beevers and his wife Lilly have been dead for many years now and died in their home in Castletown in the Isle of Man.When Bill retired he gave the shop to his nephew Tom who ran it for a few years before selling the business.The name belongs to a business just off Woolley wood rd and has nothing to do now with the original owner.Bill was a good friend of mine for many years.

My grandad was friends with Tom and he’s trying to get back in touch. He’s just turned 90! 
Do you know if Tom is still alive? 

'Bill Beevers' is now run by a chap called Stuart , his workshop is on a small industrial estate just off Deep Lane/Grange Lane, which is at the far end of Bellhouse Rd, opposite end to Firth Park. Stuart will porobably know.

Hey up gaz, he built my super dream in 1980 nice bloke, very quiet man.

I had my bike tested last year at beavers on grange lane by stuart ,hes a nice bloke anall.

Im sure i heard Tom had passed away.?

....sorry Tom if you ant.

On 19/03/2021 at 18:11, gaz 786 said:

The mechanic at page hall was called Jim 😁

Are you referring to Jim Broughton?

If so he was my Dad's uncle, his wife Margaret was my Grandma's older sister.